• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
I think we missed a couple of stations in Mexborough viz:

Mexborough (Ferry Boat) Halt (1850ish - 1871)

Mexborough Junction (1850 - 1871)

Both closed when the current station opened

Wombwell Central

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think we missed a couple of stations in Mexborough viz:

Mexborough (Ferry Boat) Halt (1850ish - 1871)

Mexborough Junction (1850 - 1871)

OBSERVATIONS

When we joined the SYR Doncaster to Barnsley Line, prior to Sprotborough came Doncaster (Cherry Tree Lane)

With regards to Mexborough (Ferry Boat) Halt, I put that particular matter out for discussion to a number of my contacts and there was not a consensus of agreement, in fact three said no and two said yes. I think it should be allowed as a posting submission, but if anyone can give an exact location to me, I would be most grateful.

Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
I shall step back until I am on slightly steadier ground

Don't do that - we all make a mess of this sometimes - that's part of the fun! Even Paul has his off-moments!

OBSERVATIONS

With regards to Mexborough (Ferry Boat) Halt, I put that particular matter out for discussion to a number of my contacts and there was not a consensus of agreement, in fact three said no and two said yes, so I have put this in the "unsure, so do not allow" box.

If it helps the discussion, the OS 1:10560 map for 1854 very clearly shows "Mexborough Station" about 600 yd east of its current location. (It is a very odd place to put it as there wasn't a bridge over the river so you would need to take the ferry to catch the train).