• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
But since neither has a heritage railway associated with it, just some track and a few bits of rolling stock, presumably we are OK to include them?

I suppose it is up to how the word "heritage" is so defined, but over the years on this particular quiz, we have included stations with a definition of "heritage" that have private individuals taking ownership of such closed stations and at their own expense, have provided facilities and upgrading of the type that have occurred at both Fencote and at Rowden Mill, in addition to those more commonly associated with actual known heritage railways

DerekC

Established Member
I suppose it is up to how the word "heritage" is so defined, but over the years on this particular quiz, we have included stations with a definition of "heritage" that have private individuals taking ownership of such closed stations and at their own expense, have provided facilities and upgrading of the type that have occurred at both Fencote and at Rowden Mill, in addition to those more commonly associated with actual known heritage railways

To me there is a distinction between a reopened station on a heritage railway which operates a service and a station which is merely restored privately for the pleasure of the owner, albeit with track and vehicles. If the latter were disallowed then should we not also disallow a station such as Horsebridge on the "Sprat & Winkle" which has a carriage standing on a short piece of track?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
To me there is a distinction between a reopened station on a heritage railway which operates a service and a station which is merely restored privately for the pleasure of the owner, albeit with track and vehicles. If the latter were disallowed then should we not also disallow a station such as Horsebridge on the "Sprat & Winkle" which has a carriage standing on a short piece of track?

I do fully understand your reservations over this matter and Rule 3 in the past has been gradually expanded to cover similar eventualities from discussions over the years. I note that websites such as Wikipedia in their template of lines show any stations such of the type as those discussed with a different icon to that shown for a closed station and they reached that decision after long and detailed discussions before eventually settling on their current status quo. As such, we too had decided to follow a similar line on this particular quiz some years ago.