• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
Blackburn Bolton Road (1848 to 1859)

(This would justify further investigation - there is a station on the presumed site on a 1:500 town plan of about 1848 - 1850, but it's marked "Darwen Street Station, Disused")

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Blackburn Bolton Road (1848 to 1859).....(This would justify further investigation - there is a station on the presumed site on a 1:500 town plan of about 1848 - 1850, but it's marked "Darwen Street Station, Disused")

INFORMATION
There only have been two railway passenger railway stations in Blackburn central town area. The currently open one that serves the area has been open since 1846 and as you say above, the short-lived Blackburn Bolton Road station was only open in the period 1848-1859, so it is hard to see how a map of the period 1848-1850 can refer to anything else as being "disused." I suggest you first contact the council offices in Blackburn first to put your "Darwen Street" query on to their archives section, making mention of the map details you state above.

DerekC

Established Member
Perhaps we are looking at two different route maps, but my records show that between Holbeck Low Level and Gildersome East were:-

Copley Hill then Farnley & Wortley.... but to continue.....

Birstall Town

The sources I was using suggest that Copley Hill was a goods station and that Farnley & Wortley only had platforms on the viaduct line. However I checked via old maps and the latter isn't right. In passing I note that Holbeck (High Level) (not Low Level) only appears to have had platforms on the GNR tracks, not on the LNWR tracks that we were following through it.

Gomersal

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The sources I was using suggest that Copley Hill was a goods station

INFORMATION

Copley Hill is shown as a passenger station on a very old Railway Clearing House diagram of the central Leeds area dated 1913 that was part of a collection of Yorkshire area Railway Clearing House diagrams that I purchased early in the 1970's period at a rail auction and is kept in my railway archives.

Many years ago, I discussed the matter of Copley Hill with the editorial staff of Wikipedia as they had produced a line template of the Leeds New Line and the icon they had shown was that for a passenger station, not a goods station. After your posting, I looked tonight at the same Wikipedia line template and that still has the icon for a passenger station on the line template.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In passing I note that Holbeck (High Level) (not Low Level) only appears to have had platforms on the GNR tracks, not on the LNWR tracks that we were following through it.

INFORMATION

I always recall a discussion that I had in my more youthful days with a railway employee who had a wealth of historical knowledge concerning the Leeds area and with regards to Holbeck station, his quick rule-of-thumb stated that the Low Level platforms there (this is the line we are currently using on this leg of the journey) were used by LNWR and Midland services and the High Level platforms there were used by the NER, LYR and GNR services.

DerekC

Established Member
INFORMATION
Many years ago, I discussed the matter of Copley Hill with the editorial staff of Wikipedia as they had produced a line template of the Leeds New Line and the icon they had shown was that for a passenger station, not a goods station. After your posting, I looked tonight at the same Wikipedia line template and that still has the icon for a passenger station on the line template.

So it does, but the template for the Huddersfield Line (which covers the whole route from Leeds Central to Farnley Junction) still shows it as a goods station. I did look at old maps, and the area immediately west of the Copley Hill bridge was a very large cattle market, with a lot of sidings adjacent and what appear to be loading facilities. It seems likely that in fact there was a passenger station and a goods station.

I will PM you about the two Holbeck stations.

Liversedge Spen