• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Portobello (2nd station - 1846 to 1964)

I think clarification is needed here. On the line that we are currently on, the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway, there was an earlier Portobello station, which was opened in July 1832 and closed in 1846.

The other similarly named Portobello station was the one on the North British Railway main line, situated at Station Brae, off Southfield Place, and is usually referred to when a journey is named as such.

Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
I think clarification is needed here. On the line that we are currently on, the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway, there was an earlier Portobello station, which was opened in July 1832 and closed in 1846.

The other similarly named Portobello station was the one on the North British Railway main line and is usually referred to when a journey is named as such.

A quick note on Portobello. The first station (1832 to 1846) was built by the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway on a route which ran from South Leith more or less in a straight line to Niddrie West Junction on its way to Dalkeith. In the early 1840s the NBR built the Edinburgh to Berwick main line which crossed the E&DR on an overbridge. A little later the NBR obtained an Act for the the Edinburgh & Hawick Railway which (on this initial section of its route) ignored the E&DR line, diverging from the NBR main line about half a mile further east and running southward via Newcraighall and Niddrie to join the E&DR route at Niddrie South Junction. On the NBR main line between the E&DR crossing and the E&HR junction was built the second Portobello station (1846 to 1964), used by main line trains and Dalkeith/Hawick trains. The E&DR route between Portobello and Niddrie appears to have been retained for a while (presumably for freight from South Leith) but based on OS maps was closed and lifted between 1860 and 1890.

So - our route via the Edinburgh & Hawick Railway would have passed Portobello 2nd station, but not Portobello 1st station, If we had been routed via the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway it would have been the other way round.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
A quick note on Portobello. The first station (1832 to 1846) was built by the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway on a route which ran from South Leith more or less in a straight line to Niddrie West Junction on its way to Dalkeith. In the early 1840s the NBR built the Edinburgh to Berwick main line which crossed the E&DR on an overbridge. A little later the NBR obtained an Act for the the Edinburgh & Hawick Railway which (on this initial section of its route) ignored the E&DR line, diverging from the NBR main line about half a mile further east and running southward via Newcraighall and Niddrie to join the E&DR route at Niddrie South Junction. On the NBR main line between the E&DR crossing and the E&HR junction was built the second Portobello station (1846 to 1964), used by main line trains and Dalkeith/Hawick trains. The E&DR route between Portobello and Niddrie appears to have been retained for a while (presumably for freight from South Leith) but based on OS maps was closed and lifted between 1860 and 1890.

So - our route via the Edinburgh & Hawick Railway would have passed Portobello 2nd station, but not Portobello 1st station, If we had been routed via the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway it would have been the other way round.

Sorry, but the two stations are totally different entities in two different locations. The NBR station was built in the area of Station Brae, off Southfield Place, according to an e-mail that I received when originally seeking clarification, en route to Joppa, Therefore no E & D nor E & H trains ever traversed that NBR station.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The other similarly named Portobello station was the one on the North British Railway main line, situated at Station Brae, off Southfield Place, and is usually referred to when a journey is named as such.

Are you saying that the NBR site at Station Brae, off Southfield Place was also the site of the E&DR earlier station? I have had two people assuring me this was not the case.

DerekC

Established Member
Are you saying that the NBR site at Station Brae, off Southfield Place was also the site of the E&DR earlier station? I have had two people assuring me this was not the case.

No - the two sites were separate. The following map extract (which I have marked up) should make the situation clear, I hope. The second station was indeed off Southfield Place, but since it was on the NBR main line between Edinburgh and the junction of the E&H, our journey would have passed it.

Portobello.jpg

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
No - the two sites were separate. The following map extract (which I have marked up) should make the situation clear, I hope. The second station was indeed off Southfield Place, but since it was on the NBR main line between Edinburgh and the junction of the E&H, our journey would have passed it.

View attachment 67190

The Portobello station that we use on this E&HR version for general EASE OF REFERENCE AND USAGE, is. and always has been, the E&DR railway station (1832-1846) and you will see from your map above the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway (coloured blue on you map) shows the Portobello (E&DR) station on that line, as the arrow points to Niddrie as well as the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway also pointing to Niddrie and both these two lines met at a point south of your map. This, in effect, is what my two contacts confirmed to me earlier today.