• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Norham

I have visions of parsimonious Scots travelling in the area, and being upset at the level of fares charged by the Sassenach North Eastern Railway -- "[however many shillings and pence] fur a ticket fae Kelso tae Twizell -- yon's a swizzle !"

DerekC

Established Member
Velvet Hall - fits my Postman Pat vision - I wonder who could live there? Not a parsimonious Scot, I think! Somebody who keeps cats? If only it had been called the Sunilaws, Twizell and Velvet Hall Railway! Even North America would have found it hard to beat that!!

Calthrop

Established Member
Velvet Hall - fits my Postman Pat vision - I wonder who could live there? Not a parsimonious Scot, I think! Somebody who keeps cats? If only it had been called the Sunilaws, Twizell and Velvet Hall Railway! Even North America would have found it hard to beat that!!

Nicknamed by its long-suffering users: the Shaky, Tottering and Very Hinky :E ?

Tweedmouth

Calthrop

Established Member
I confess to having to look up "hinky". Impressed by your knowledge of street talk @Calthrop

Well, possible American railroad names did get in on the act ! -- I love these scurrilous parodies of railway companies' initials, and it's a thing the Yanks were great at. I confess to liking the slightly blasphemous "take" in this wordplay-form, on the St. Johnsbury & Lake Champlain Railroad in New England: St. Jesus an' Late Comin'.

Goswick

Beal