• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
Tonge and Breedon

Note: I think we would have passed through Ashby de la Zouch again (the Melbourn Line platform which was separate from the main line station) between Moira and Worthington.

Calthrop

Established Member
Note: I think we would have passed through Ashby de la Zouch again (the Melbourn Line platform which was separate from the main line station) between Moira and Worthington.

My several atlases, by which I went re this matter, give no sign of this arrangement (which is not to imply that the said tomes are infallible -- they often turn out to be anything but !)

Next station -- with some apprehension about my getting something wrong here -- Duffield (1st station) ?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
OBSERVATION

On a previous journey that had taken place, where I stated that there were both 1st and 2nd closed stations to be named on this line, a "tentative"posting had been made of the first station at Duffield. Please note Rule 4, as that first station was constructed a matter of only a few yards to the north of the existing open station.

DerekC

Established Member

My several atlases, by which I went re this matter, give no sign of this arrangement (which is not to imply that the said tomes are infallible -- they often turn out to be anything but !)

I checked again and the arrangement is quite clear on the OS 1:2500 map for 1883 with the main and branch stations labelled separately, although only separated by the goods yard which occupied the angle between the two lines.

DerekC

Established Member
Bakewell

Note: It would be interesting to know whether anyone has evidence of High Peak Junction (between Whatstandwell and Cromford) being used as a passenger station. The Cromford & High Peak Railway, which branched off here (in fact it was there before the MBM&MJR), is said to have carried brake van passengers from 1855 to about 1877 and it seems likely that they would have wanted to change to the main line. OS maps are no help.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Note: It would be interesting to know whether anyone has evidence of High Peak Junction (between Whatstandwell and Cromford) being used as a passenger station. The Cromford & High Peak Railway, which branched off here (in fact it was there before the MBM&MJR), is said to have carried brake van passengers from 1855 to about 1877 and it seems likely that they would have wanted to change to the main line. OS maps are no help.

High Peak Junction was the name given to the site complex that housed both the weighbridge and the workshops of the Cromford and High Peak Railway, but to the best of my knowledge, no "official" passenger station facilities were to be part of the same site.

There was unofficial riding on a brake van during the time period that was stated above on the first and last train of the day, where records talk of people disembarking and re-embarking on any incline sections, but a fatality of someone riding on those incline sections brought that to an end.

DerekC

Established Member
Millers Dale

High Peak Junction was the name given to the site complex that housed both the weighbridge and the workshops of the Cromford and High Peak Railway, but to the best of my knowledge, no "official" passenger station facilities were to be part of the same site.

There was unofficial riding on a brake van during the time period that was stated above on the first and last train of the day, where records talk of people disembarking and re-embarking on any incline sections, but a fatality of someone riding on those incline sections brought that to an end.

Background reading and maps suggest that until some time in the 20th Century "High Peak Junction" was the name of the railway junction, the original terminus and workshops of the C&HPR at the Cromford Canal being known as "Cromford Wharf", "High Peak Wharf" or "Railway End". An Act of 1855 authorised the carriage of passengers, so how official or unofficial the brake van rides were is hard to determine. I will have to buy the book!

I recall being taken there by my uncle in (I think) about 1960 and seeing the Sheep Pasture Incline in operation.