• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Preston Junction....later re-named Lowton in 1877

(There also is the case of Parkside, which closed in 1878....but I am unsure of the exact line this was on)

(It looks like now entering the territory of the Grand Junction Railway......so the route onwards to London will pass through the Birmingham area)

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I know that we are in the home teritory of martinsh, so I have to be aware of his specific local knowledge and now may be open to correction. For some inexplicable reason, I now have two closed stations jotted down as being to the north of Crewe, which are as follows:-

Preston Brook

Minshull Vernon

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
Next one is tricky.
AFAIK, Norton Bridge has not been officially closed, but nothing stops there and a bus service replaces trains.
So is it a closed station for the purposes of this quiz, Paul?

I'll hedge my bets and suggest Great Bridgeford too!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Whilst agreeing that we are going down the old Grand Junction line, Welshman did mention Great Bridgeford, but I too have a general query and that is....was there ever a station called Badnall Wharf situated between Standen Bridge and Great Bridgeford?

To carry on with the current leg......

Four Ashes

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Bushbury.....This station closed in 1912 and was the next closed station on the line from Four Ashes. I have entered this as "an intermediate station missed".

We are now on the line of a certain route from the Wolverhampton area to the Birmingham area, so the first closed station on that section on that line is....

Monmore Green
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Willenhall
We have to remember if we follow the Grand Junction Line to its terminus in Birmingham Curzon Street, we will not be able to access London on the London and North Western Line so we have to use a route that allows for the required link that will take us to the Rugby area first

Incidentally, there were two stations in Willenhall that were closed:-

Willlenhall Stafford Street (1872-1931)

Willenhall Bilston Street (1837-1965)

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
That's still open !!! [ Coseley used to be called Coseley Deepfields back in the 196os ]

Entry deleted....That is now up to you to make a posting in lieu.

(NOTE...The original Deepfields and Coseley was 400 yards away from the site of the current station of Coseley, so can they be regarded as two seperate stations..or not? )
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Further entry in response to a PM from received from martinsh for me to carry on.

Oldbury (LNW) closed in 1915....it is not to be confused with the GWR station....neither is it to be confused with the existing open station known as Sandwell and Dudley.Spon Lane...Closed in 1960

We should now be looking at closed stations on the south of the Birmingham area going to the Rugby area, so I will name the first one.....

Marston Green

Last edited:

martinsh

Established Member
Oldbury (LNW) closed in 1915....it is not to be confused with the GWR station....neither is it to be confused with the existing open station known as Sandwell and Dudley.

Spon Lane...Closed in 1960

We should now be looking at closed stations on the south of the Birmingham area going to the Rugby area, so I will name the first one.....

Marston Grove

Oh dear - there's a lot wrong with the above !

1) you've missed out Albion (between Dudley Port and Sandwell & Dudley)

2) Oldbury was renamed Sandwell & Dudley in the 1980s

3) there are 2 or 3 more closed stations before we get to Birmingham.

4) Marston Grove should be Marston Green which is still open. [Any closed stations between BNS and Coventry closed before 1920 ]

Soho - this may be Smethwick Rolfe Street under another name

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
PM has been sent, in reply to the one received. Sorry not to have been around until 0120 on Wednesday morning owing to attendance at an event. In answer to your query about Oldbury, I thought my previous posting had clarified the LNW station closure of 1915.

Please feel free to name your stations in the Smethwick area, as it appears that, with a certain exception, we have been the only two competitors on most of the latter stages of this leg.