• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Four Ashes

Will be absent from the quiz for the next few days as we are heading down to sunny West Sussex to attend a wedding.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Monmore Green

HOLD CALLED

Monmore Green (and the next named station of Ettingshall Road) were both stations on the LNWR Stour Valley Line, which we do not use on this journey.

We are still on the line of the Grand Junction Railway, heading towards Walsall.

To help matters, the next closed station after Bushbury is.....

Wednesfield Heath

Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
I think that station was preceded by Bridgeford

I did look at Bridgeford which is quoted in some sources, but I couldn't find any evidence for where it was - so assumed it may just have been an earlier name for Great Bridgeford

HOLD CALLED
To help matters, the next closed station after Bushbury is.....

Wednesfield Heath

Portobello

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I did look at Bridgeford which is quoted in some sources, but I couldn't find any evidence for where it was - so assumed it may just have been an earlier name for Great Bridgeford

INFORMATION

This particular quiz goes back to 2011 and I still have notes made on the earliest researches on railway lines from that time period. I have been delving into my railway archives and RAILSCOT many years ago confirmed there were two distinct stations opened in 1837 by the Grand Junction Railway to the south of Norton Bridge station. Bridgeford station was in the village of Little Bridgeford, situated near to the manor house of Worston Hall, and was a short lived station that closed as early as 1840. It was situated to the north of Great Bridgeford station which was situated in the village of that same name.

Calthrop

Established Member
This one really made me think, as there was a branch line to various collieries, where a station with a similar name had a short lived existence (called Ryder's Hayes) upon it that closed in 1858.

I therefore will post......

Brownhills

It was the Dewick man, my all-purpose scapegoat (place's name in his atlas, in red -- his "code" for "defunct as in the 19th century").

Hammerwich