• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demps

Hi, it would be great if any of you guys could tell me of closed/abandoned/derelict stations, anywhere in the country, and if there is anything big, say a TMD thats abandoned, do tell me about it aswell.

Thanks

Demps.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gizmogle

Established Member
Etruria, Stone and Barlaston in Staffordshire no longer have any trains serving them.

W14Fishbourne

There are very few closed/abandoned/derelict stations left. Most closed stations have either been sold off for use as homes, or have been demolished and the sites cleared for use for some other purpose.

Demps

Thanks for the input guys, appreciated!

There are very few closed/abandoned/derelict stations left. Most closed stations have either been sold off for use as homes, or have been demolished and the sites cleared for use for some other purpose.

I know this trait thoroughly.

As for blythe, well now, its chavved to hell, shame baout the power station though, would have loved to have done that a few years back.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Oh, and there's Corby of course. Opened and closed many times! It's proposed for re-opening in 2008.

me123

Established Member
There are a lot of closed lines in the Monklands area (Airdrie and Coatbridge), and the biggest station that I can think of is the old ... which, IIRC, links to the current Whifflet line providing a direct link from Airdrie to Glasgow Central. http://www.jhowie.f9.co.uk/airdrie2.htm has a lot of good photos, track plans etc.

Although all the tracks and lines have been lifted, the routes are generally still easy to see. For example, in the above, the bridges and route can be easily traced, but the tracks have been lifted. There's also the Airdire Bathgate link which is a cycle route, but obviously will be reopened in about 3 years.

davethomas

Get the train to Bristol Temple Meads and walk/cycle the Bristol-Bath Railway Path. There are trains back to Bristol from Bath Spa.

Mangotsfield, the platforms and walls from the stations buildings are still there.

218159_5b1fbfef.jpg

Warmley, the station building is now a cafe

Warmley_Station_2002.jpg

You also get to go through Staple Hill Tunnel

511252987_c0ed3b90c8_m.jpg

class 313

Established Member
The St Albans - Hatfield line (now a cycle way) Has many of the platforms in tact along the way. Easy to get to, get a train from Watford Junction to St Albans Abbey and follow the cycle path.

AlexS

Established Member
But far harder to wander around than Cambois by all accounts!

Loughborough Goods Yard used to be a pretty thriving stone and aggregates depot, but has been derelict since the opening of the Mountsorrel hub. Believe it's now being reopened as a HOBC depot however.

Leicester Depot is now closed and a signing on point only.

Cosford RAF depot is now a tamper stabling point.

Whitacre Junction station site is now just a few stabling sidings on the Brum to Leicester line with the junction to Kingsbury and a very low speed limit.

Manchester Mayfield is about the most complete closed large station around.

ah-media

Rugby's Grand Central Railway station is still there ( it's under the main A428 ). The track bed was a public footpath (when I were a kid). The station is under Hillmorton Road and the platforms should still be there.

I haven't got any photos but I'm sure someone will have one :)

A.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Stanner (3 miles from Kington), only just on the Welsh side of the border, remains. Not used for anything now, was previously a small station on the New Radnor extension of the Leominster and Kington Railway. All of that was closed in the early 1950s.

The terminus of the line at New Radnor still stands, with the goods shed and the main building still surviving. The site has been tidied up (with the buildings left in place thankfully) and now plays host to a small caravan park.

On the same line is Titley Junction, where the line to Presteign (now spelt 'Presteigne') branched off. As did the line to Almeley and Eardisley (where the line joined the line from Hereford to Hay-on-Wye). This station was previously a strictly private residental property. The ownership has now changed and is under a preservation movement. The station has been considerably tidied up, the line operating west towards Kington for approximately 1 mile. Plans were at one point to get a 47 in, ready for the eventual further extensions. This has not happened unfortunately. Plans for the line to be extended eastwards towards Pembridge, Kingsland and Leominster cannot be carried out currently as the line was carried over by a bridge just beyond the eastern end of the station, which has long been removed. It is still hoped this will eventually happen but obviously a new bridge would be expensive.

I'll dig out my photos of the stations mentioned as soon as I remember where they are.

Demps

Thanks for the input guys, given me a few things to work on. However, i forgot to mention closed stations which are still intact, I.E track there, buildings there, general dereliction (unless its a gem and has only just closed)

TheSlash

Established Member
*Tonuge in cheek*
Eastleigh, Fratton, Bournemouth and West Worthing are just a few of the closed depots around.
*Removes tonuge from cheek*
If your location wasn't classified, people might be able to recommend some local places to you ;)
In my area, we have the Gosport line, the Meon Valley line and the Hayling Island branch.
Fratton Goods yard disappeared under B&Q, McDonalds and KFC.
One the largest semi intact, closed lines, is the Great Central. A friend recently showed me of the it in the Leicester area, including the old station. Well worth a visit.

Demps

*Tonuge in cheek*
Eastleigh, Fratton, Bournemouth and West Worthing are just a few of the closed depots around.
*Removes tonuge from cheek*
If your location wasn't classified, people might be able to recommend some local places to you ;)
In my area, we have the Gosport line, the Meon Valley line and the Hayling Island branch.
Fratton Goods yard disappeared under B&Q, McDonalds and KFC.
One the largest semi intact, closed lines, is the Great Central. A friend recently showed me of the it in the Leicester area, including the old station. Well worth a visit.

Thanks. Although my location may be non-specific, it dosent really effect; if you can give me something in yorkshire which i dont know about, i would be delighted to know.

So on the great central..... whats this station you speak of?

BTW back to the question, it dosent really matter if the station is 'out of bounds'

All of this info should keep my side tracked research 'on track' <D

Demp.

TheSlash

Established Member
Bournemouth is still open for C4s
Compared to being a maintenance and repair depot for 24 PIGs and what ever slammers couldn't get back to Fratton.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Leciester Central for the GC station btw.
Compared to being a maintenance and repair depot for 24 PIGs and what ever slammers couldn't get back to Fratton. I'm surprised it lasted that long, being at the end of a branch
Leciester Central for the GC station btw.

Demps

Leicester central looks good Slash, considering the line closed in 69 (dont know about the station) So whats its status? most things with that age of abandonment are demo'd or charved to holy hell.

paulo

I suppose it depends on how far you want to travel I have actually spent nearly the last year documenting londons disused,abandoned and demolised tube stations, really interesting stuff and the project is still going strong.

Demps

Tube stations! If you mean you document them first hand (access) "impressive"

Unless you have permission for this i would like to learn more.

As i said in the question, im not fussed about how far away they are, i get all over the country.

Back to tube stations... I can't remember its name, but have you done the station which was used in the film 'Creep'?

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Wirksworth in Derbyshire.It was even closed when I went to visit my uncle in the mid 70's.Class 20's and freight though.8)

paulo

Its quite difficult to access the remnants of the disused underground stations, health and safety reasons etc but the sub-surface ones arent too difficult to get at, I have actually been to the station where creep was filmed its Charing Cross on the disused Jubilee line branch.

paulo

Its great if you have the time and patience to go through old maps and bits, sometimes when you get to the site it can be quite disappointing but then there are times when you stumble on that little piece of railway history. great stuff. You may also find yourself going back several times because of something you missed on previous trips but they are well worth a look.

Demps

Its great if you have the time and patience to go through old maps and bits

Tell me about it...

Library Archives, Family and local history public archives, O.S maps, deep internet research (obvious flashearth.) books, word from people, lots of petrol money, newspapers, local news etc etc. Its gets quite tiring, but like you say, when all of the effort pulls of, its 100% worth it!

So, do you have permission for these tube stations? Primeraly underground ones.

Gizmogle

Established Member
I doubt he does as most of them aren't considered safe.

The disused Charing Cross platforms are often visited on tube railtours, but I don't think you're allowed to get out onto the platforms. I'm not sure about other closed stations.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Thanks. Although my location may be non-specific, it dosent really effect; if you can give me something in yorkshire which i dont know about, i would be delighted to know.

Not sure if you count closed stations on existing routes, but there are examples in Yorkshire such as Marston Moor on the Harrogate line which are pretty much still intact. I must go and explore the old lines from Harrogate to Ripon and Pateley Bridge and see what's left.

One depot which you've missed only by a few months is Mirfield, which was demolished easlier this year.

A series of books you may find of interest are the 'British Railways Past & Present' books, published by Silver Link Publishing/The Nostalgia Collection. Volumes 2, 11, 25, 48 and 49 cover various parts of Yorkshire - see http://www.nostalgiacollection.com for more gen on these.

Status
Not open for further replies.