• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demps

Hi all,

My current 'project' is researching Closed Railway structures, and withdrawn locos, and trying to record them as best as possible before they meet their maker, sadly this has being the case for so much Uk railway history. Take Doncaster works for example, it had an incredibly fruitfull history, employed most of doncaster, and yet, there is still hardly any information on the internet about Donny works, sadly it was completely flattened in Early 2008, i missed that one.... Some of the sites ive already seen include Thornaby TMD, Immingham TMD, Healey mills yard, and some other sites ive being granted access to.

Old oak common is definately a priority to me.

I would be hugely greatfull if any of you guys could help me out with other closed railway sites, or closing sites. I know Margam TMD is on the chopping list, cardiff canton has new use with Arriva, dosent it?

Demps

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O L Leigh

Established Member
It's such a huuuuuuge topic that you'll almost never manage it unless you can be more specific. Not only are there closed lines, but sidings, yards, stations, goods facilities, signal boxes, depots and so on. The list really is endless.

O L Leigh

Aussie_Rail

If you are really interested in 'Railway Archaeology' then purhaps you could specify on a particular aspect of it, or on a particular area that your interested in? i.e. a particular line and document its full history? Or on a particular geographic area? Or document just locomotives or signal boxes, stations etc?

No one would expect to document the full history of an entire country's railway history, but it wouldn't be so exhausting if you covered a small part of it or a part your most interested or passionate about.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Cardiff Canton doesn't appear to be in immediate danger, as its the TMD for all Arriva's Valley Line DMUs, and stables some other units as well.

With regard to documenting your findings, I collated everything I learned when reading about the history of my old branch line in a Wikipedia article. This may or may not suit you, as you'll have to be sure to cite all the sources you're using, and they don't let you use original research (e.g. you can't measure chainages on the ground yourself, but you can quote a book that has the numbers or measure it off a map).

Demps

I said in the original post what my aims where, thanks for the input, but closed branch lines and railways stations arnt really what im after.

Basically TMD's, and form of depot building, or Railway relitive factories. Withdrawn locos isnt much of a problem as WNXX has the whole database updated monthly, which is brilliant.

Again, it dosent matter where in the country... but I live in yorkshire, and if there is anything significant i havent yet covered, i'd love to know about that first. :)

krus_aragon

Established Member
I take your point on not being interested in closed branches, but contributing to a wiki (Wikipedia or otherwise) might be to your taste for collating your findings.

Moodster020

Again, it dosent matter where in the country... but I live in yorkshire, and if there is anything significant i havent yet covered, i'd love to know about that first. :)

Healey Mills, Leeds.

Also got an out of Print book about Doncaster works, with lots of pics of the interior see if i can upload it sometime.

Demps

Yeah ive had a look round healey mills(wakefield ;) ) Brilliant place.

I'd be very interested in seeing some of that book.

Ta

Status
Not open for further replies.