• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cloth masks, scarves and bandanas to be 'encouraged' with no compulsion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkyT

Established Member
It appears highly likely that the British Government will finally change its advice in the next few days on public mask-wearing, following new recommendations from its scientific advisors. Cloth masks, scarves, and bandanas covering the mouth would be 'encouraged' in public but there will be no compulsion.

The use of medical masks would be discouraged, in order to conserve these for health workers.

This goes part way towards requests by Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London, to mandate mask-wearing in the confined spaces of London's normally crowded public transport vehicles and stations that even during the lockdown are used daily by many essential workers.

Compulsory or recommended mask-wearing is gradually becoming more widespread throughout Europe and the USA and is common in East Asia where control of their COVID-19 outbreaks has been generally more successful.

...Sage advice would almost certainly be accepted by Number 10...cloth masks could help stop an asymptomatic person from infecting others in a closed environment, such as offices or public transport. But they do not believe that cloth masks would be of much use in parks or other public spaces.
#Masks4All

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
Once again, masks are used in Eastern Asia when people have the symptoms of a cold or flu, not as a standard. Any encouragement to wear them beyond that scope is not based in science, just something to appease the growing group of people who have convinced themselves that you can get the virus just being close to a fellow human being, which is of course completely incorrect.

Still it will be good news for criminals trying to evade the law....

GB

Established Member
Once again, masks are used in Eastern Asia when people have the symptoms of a cold or flu, not as a standard. Any encouragement to wear them beyond that scope is not based in science, just something to appease the growing group of people who have convinced themselves that you can get the virus just being close to a fellow human being, which is of course completely incorrect.

Still it will be good news for criminals trying to evade the law....

I thought science had already suggested that by wearing masks, those who may have Covid but not currently showing symptoms would reduce the risks of transmission....wearing masks is not about protecting yourself but more for the protection of others. If you are close to an infected person and they cough or sneeze of course they will be able to transmit it to other people, if they are wearing a mask when they cough or sneeze then the risk must surely be reduced.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I thought science had already suggested that by wearing masks, those who may have Covid but not currently showing symptoms would reduce the risks of transmission....wearing masks is not about protecting yourself but more for the protection of others. If you are close to an infected person and they cough or sneeze of course they will be able to transmit it to other people, if they are wearing a mask when they cough or sneeze then the risk must surely be reduced.

Which is why in Eastern Asia people with cold or flu like symptoms wear masks, and those that don't have them don't. As I said. There is little evidence that the virus can be easily transmitted by just regular breathing.

GB

Established Member
You can have the virus and not show symptoms, by the time you may show symptoms (not everyone does) it’s too late.

Bantamzen

Established Member
You can have the virus and not show symptoms, by the time you may show symptoms (not everyone does) it’s too late.

The same is true with any virus or other infection. However if you are not coughing or sneezing, and regularly washing your hands, you will almost certainly not be transmitting it.

RichT54

I've just got back from visiting my local M&S food hall and noticed there were a lot more customers wearing face masks today than on my previous visits. I would estimate about a quarter to a third of those in the store, whereas before there were only 2 or 3.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If the government decide to make the wearing of masks essential whilst outdoors (which I think is actually unlikely) then they should be rationed - I don't want the situation where I can't go out because everybody has stripped the shelves of them.

The_Train

Established Member
The only thing I own that could be used in such a way is a woolly winter scarf which would be uncomfortable around the mouth and nose at the best of times but would be unbearable in warm weather. When I go out it is generally for exercise and to enjoy some fresh air (I live in an apartment so don't have a garden to enjoy) - wouldn't be quite the same if I am breathing in the same hot air that I'm breathing out.

Would I also be advised to wear such a contraption whilst I'm out running?

trebor79

Established Member
I've just got back from visiting my local M&S food hall and noticed there were a lot more customers wearing face masks today than on my previous visits. I would estimate about a quarter to a third of those in the store, whereas before there were only 2 or 3.
I observed the opposite on my weekly trip to Tesco yesterday. Only 2 person mask wearing whereas last week is was about a fifth.
Fairly rural area here.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If the government decide to make the wearing of masks essential whilst outdoors (which I think is actually unlikely) then they should be rationed - I don't want the situation where I can't go out because everybody has stripped the shelves of them.

It's unlikely they would make a specific type mandatory in any context as that would stop the NHS getting them, it would just be a face covering of any kind which could be made simply by tearing or cutting up a T-shirt, teatowel or similar. So if you own a pair of scissors you can have one for basically free.

trebor79

Established Member
It appears highly likely that the British Government will finally change its advice in the next few days on public mask-wearing, following new recommendations from its scientific advisors. Cloth masks, scarves, and bandanas covering the mouth would be 'encouraged' in public but there will be no compulsion.

The use of medical masks would be discouraged, in order to conserve these for health workers.
Wearing medical masks should e punishable by fine. It's a massive waste of PPE and is unsuitable for preventing transmission from the wearer to others, due to the one way valve opening during exhalation.

If the government is going to do this, they need to very clearly define what they mean by 'mask' and the reasoning.

LowLevel

Established Member
I have just been to the shop on my break and had the 'pleasure' of observing the concerns of the matter in question on the next checkout over.

Middle aged woman clad in a thick dust mask and latex gloves. She spent most of the time her shopping was being scanned pushing said mask around and scratching the top of her nose with her gloves.

It just looked ridiculous.

Mogster

I have just been to the shop on my break and had the 'pleasure' of observing the concerns of the matter in question on the next checkout over.

Middle aged woman clad in a thick dust mask and latex gloves. She spent most of the time her shopping was being scanned pushing said mask around and scratching the top of her nose with her gloves.

This is exactly the problem.

Also people will touch or remove them to talk, use the phone, eat or drink.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's unlikely they would make a specific type mandatory in any context as that would stop the NHS getting them, it would just be a face covering of any kind which could be made simply by tearing or cutting up a T-shirt, teatowel or similar. So if you own a pair of scissors you can have one for basically free.

Yes I know that you can make them yourselves with old t-shirts etc, I was more concerned about the government making the use of manufactured masks compulsory.

westv

Established Member
This is exactly the problem.

Also people will touch or remove them to talk, use the phone, eat or drink.

Especially on the tube when it gets warmer as it's drilled into people to stay hydrated.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

If you want ridiculous my other half saw my children’s mum walking around Tesco’s the other day with a mask on alongside my son (who was pushing the trolley) who had no mask on, she then presumably took the mask off and they drove home in the car together... :rolleyes:

Carlisle

Established Member
just something to appease the growing group of people who have convinced themselves that you can get the virus just being close to a fellow human being .
Absolutely, but maybe a useful placebo to encourage folk back to using public transport, where everyone knows social distancing will be impossible during rush hours

baz962

Established Member
I'm wondering if this advice is also getting ready to increase services and relax lockdown soon too then.

jbqfc

you get daft things like the woman i saw when out shopping this morning had a mask on and wearing glasses the peak of the mask was resting on her glasses so leaving a gap around the top of the mask so making a total waste of time wearing it

Esker-pades

Established Member
If they can't get enough masks to the NHS, what hope have they got in getting enough for everyone in the UK?

To add:
Most 'normal' of garments are very porous, so the protection they would provide would be practically non-existant.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If they can't get enough masks to the NHS, what hope have they got in getting enough for everyone in the UK?

To add:
Most 'normal' of garments are very porous, so the protection they would provide would be practically non-existant.

They catch a cough or sneeze in a way just putting your hand there doesn't. That's the big gain.

I think there needs to be a proper study on this ASAP. Maybe one is already in progress.

nlogax

Established Member
Scarves and bandanas look ridiculous in a different way to people who walk around supermarkets in some get-ups that look Darth Vader-esque. Saw one of these only last week. I suppose if you've got one of these just hanging around then you'd use it, but..

Screenshot 2020-04-24 at 13.33.49.png
(image of 3M half-face respirator mask)

Even if it is ridiculous, I quite like the idea of using a bandana. Brings a bit of that 1950s Lone Ranger or Broken Arrow panache to the local supermarket queue..

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Even if it is ridiculous, I quite like the idea of using a bandana. Brings a bit of that 1950s Lone Ranger or Broken Arrow panache to the local supermarket queue..

If they do bring benefit (I remain of the view that a proper study is needed with regard to transmission of viruses of that sort of size) then "making them cool" in that way is a very good way to bring on compliance by young people who are a big part of the spread risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.