• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cloth masks, scarves and bandanas to be 'encouraged' with no compulsion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkyT

Established Member
Some new entry point technology: https://www.futuretimeline.net/blog/2020/05/3-hong-kong-technology-covid-19.htm
Hong Kong International Airport deploys advanced technology to fight COVID-19
Hong Kong's Airport Authority (AA) is applying the latest disinfection technologies – including airlock-style channels, surface coatings and autonomous cleaning robots – at Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) to protect staff and passengers from COVID-19 infection.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ashkeba

Established Member
After wearing it for hours at the origin airport, the length of the flight and the destination airport, you have to wonder how effective it is...
It'll still stop your sneeze spit covering the person ahead.

ashkeba

Established Member
, which then bring s about the question of HOW to do it. In my own case I have no medical device in the house for this purpose. Would a surge in demand for such devices affect supplies to hospitals?
The surge in demand already happened in March. There are now plentiful thermometers in the shops. For example £5 in Wilkinson's.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Here’s my take on the wearing of some form of face-covering becoming mandatory, not solely in confined spaces like the tube or trains...
My local Sainsburys in Welwyn Garden City is in the town centre, unlike the Morrison’s store, which is out of town. Both have large car parks; both have put in place controls on how many people can be in the store by putting queueing systems in place, with which people are complying.
The Morrisons store is in a place where there are no other retailers, so people can queue around the perimeter of the premises. The Sainsburys store, however, has people form a queue past several neighbouring retailers, sometimes snaking back around a corner, past the local Superdrug. The other retailers premises are all closed, so the 2-metre rule is easy to maintain.
Now imagine if all those other retailers are allowed to re-open. How do you form individual queues for each shop whilst simultaneously maintaining 2 metres distance between individual lines of people. IT’S NOT PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE! There are other businesses directly opposite the shops past which the current queue for Sainsburys meanders, adding to the problem.
There must be many many urban shopping areas where the local food outlet is able to deploy similar queues solely because the other shops around their own are currently closed. Any wholesale relaxation of lockdown for ‘non-essential’ retailers will render social distancing physically impossible because of space constraints. Which - I believe - makes the wearing of face-coverings essential... not to protect the wearer; but to limit the distance micro-droplets they might emit can travel, thus giving a small degree of protection to those nearby

Belperpete

Established Member
Some people have such gross habits.
I am reminded of the Spitting Image sketches of Roy Hattersley speaking, and showering everyone around in spit.

As Ashkeba says, the mask is to protect other people, it does virtually nothing to protect the person wearing it. However, phsychologically, the person wearing it feels safer. I see significant numbers of older people wearing masks when shopping, for this reason.

If the government makes the wearing of face masks compulsory for those using public transport, as part of the conditions for easing the restrictions on using public transport for non-essential purposes, then I think most people will accept it - wearing a mask will be seen as a small price to pay for being allowed back onto public transport again. It won't take long for it to become accepted practice.

Belperpete

Established Member
Exactly, mask wearing in the Far East is something they do when they have symptoms of a cold or flu. I really do wish people would stop pretending that it is a normal thing in order to justify forcing healthy people to wear them.
So virtually every asian tourist coming over here had a cold?!!

HH

Established Member
I doubt it's any more expensive than all the security tech at airports. Probably cheaper than a body scanner...
Story on beeb today suggests that tests proposed at some airports before you can get on aircraft will cost €190 each.

Here’s my take on the wearing of some form of face-covering becoming mandatory, not solely in confined spaces like the tube or trains...
My local Sainsburys in Welwyn Garden City is in the town centre, unlike the Morrison’s store, which is out of town. Both have large car parks; both have put in place controls on how many people can be in the store by putting queueing systems in place, with which people are complying.
The Morrisons store is in a place where there are no other retailers, so people can queue around the perimeter of the premises. The Sainsburys store, however, has people form a queue past several neighbouring retailers, sometimes snaking back around a corner, past the local Superdrug. The other retailers premises are all closed, so the 2-metre rule is easy to maintain.
Now imagine if all those other retailers are allowed to re-open. How do you form individual queues for each shop whilst simultaneously maintaining 2 metres distance between individual lines of people. IT’S NOT PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE! There are other businesses directly opposite the shops past which the current queue for Sainsburys meanders, adding to the problem.
There must be many many urban shopping areas where the local food outlet is able to deploy similar queues solely because the other shops around their own are currently closed. Any wholesale relaxation of lockdown for ‘non-essential’ retailers will render social distancing physically impossible because of space constraints. Which - I believe - makes the wearing of face-coverings essential... not to protect the wearer; but to limit the distance micro-droplets they might emit can travel, thus giving a small degree of protection to those nearby
I can see stores with their own areas (not all are out of town) becoming more popular. Masks are there to make the best of a bad job; physical distancing is superior.

P.S. People who are coughing and sneezing should stay at home, not venture out with a mask.

HH

Established Member
If you've got it.

It's not practical to lock up everyone who gets hay fever symptoms, smoker's cough etc, it must be well over 50% of the population that does in some form.
Where did I suggest that they be locked up? I thought this discussion was about masks.

HH

Established Member
I said they should stay at home, not be locked up.

Also your claim that 50% of people have hayfever or a smoker's cough is hyperbole. And in any case I was not suggesting that people who have hayfever should stay at home - they don't have covid symptoms.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Also your claim that 50% of people have hayfever or a smoker's cough is hyperbole. And in any case I was suggesting that people who have hayfever should stay at home - they don't have covid symptoms.

You said "coughing and sneezing". There are many things that cause these symptoms that are not COVID.

HH

Established Member
You said "coughing and sneezing". There are many things that cause these symptoms that are not COVID.
No, I said you can spread covid by coughing and sneezing. You can't spread it if you don't have it!

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Also your claim that 50% of people have hayfever or a smoker's cough is hyperbole. And in any case I was suggesting that people who have hayfever should stay at home - they don't have covid symptoms.

As a hay fever sufferer, and a Covid 19 volunteer, could you please explain why I should stay at home? I can find absolutely no medical reason to do so.

HH

Established Member
As a hay fever sufferer, and a Covid 19 volunteer, could you please explain why I should stay at home? I can find absolutely no medical reason to do so.
Sorry I left out a very important word. I'll edit it now.

Gadget88

Anybody hate face masks? I understand they need to protect the virus but in the UK they don’t believe in them and they say they help little. For example someone with Asthma or panic attacks the idea of face coverings is a nightmare. They are issuing big fines in Belgium if you don’t wear one on public transport. I even noticed a Eurostar train manager say you can’t let the mask slip the whole journey which rules out eating or drinking. I believe some airlines are not forcing them so perhaps I may have to fly in future if Eurostar are forcing this issue?

Alfonso

Anybody hate face masks? I understand they need to protect the virus but in the UK they don’t believe in them and they say they help little. For example someone with Asthma or panic attacks the idea of face coverings is a nightmare. They are issuing big fines in Belgium if you don’t wear one on public transport. I even noticed a Eurostar train manager say you can’t let the mask slip the whole journey which rules out eating or drinking. I believe some airlines are not forcing them so perhaps I may have to fly in future if Eurostar are forcing this issue?
You'd have to fly to a country that doesn't mandate face masks for use on public transport or just being out in the street. I'd suggest either get used to it or wait a year or two or however long until there's a vaccine or treatment and the world begins looking more normal again. Right now ,nobody's going anywhere for pleasure.

Gadget88

You'd have to fly to a country that doesn't mandate face masks for use on public transport or just being out in the street. I'd suggest either get used to it or wait a year or two or however long until there's a vaccine or treatment and the world begins looking more normal again. Right now ,nobody's going anywhere for pleasure.
This is true. And my worry is how long this will go on with face coverings I hope it’s not too many years. I don’t see the UK being as strict.

111-111-1

I think like many others you're being a little absolutist. It can be a viable control measure if you can make a reasonable estimate of how effective it will be. It's going to be a package of measures that are needed, and this can be one.

Masks aren't an absolute either (other than medical grade ones), despite your trying to push them as one.

I am amazed that someone such as yourself with such strong opinions, but with no concept that others in different circumstances might have different needs to you could call someone else absolutist?

Last edited by a moderator:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
The wearing of masks is required whilst in PUBLIC areas, so if the train manager is in his office he can take off his mask to eat or drink. Exactly what nurses and doctors do in hospital!

ashkeba

Established Member
The wearing of masks is required whilst in PUBLIC areas, so if the train manager is in his office he can take off his mask to eat or drink. Exactly what nurses and doctors do in hospital!
Great for the managers but what about the passengers? No drink from when you leave home until you reach your hotel room many hours away, unless you're willing to risk drinking in the toilet? Eating and drinking is the new smoking?

MarkyT

Established Member
Since the purpose of mouth covering on board is 'source control' and is effectively a statistical method of reducing risk of transmission by keeping the majority of mouths covered for the majority of the time, the brief lifting of a mask by individuals periodically to take a bite or a sip should not be a problem, even in fairly close proximity, as the person is not likely to be talking, coughing or sneezing at the same time. The complete removal of a mask to eat a full 3-course meal should clearly require full distancing to be maintained, and, I suggest, is fairly unlikely on public transport today.

Status
Not open for further replies.