• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cloverdale MK3

Status
Not open for further replies.

malc-c

Some may recall that I've done a few rebuilds of my layout over the past few years, the latter was on a 244cm x 60cm board made form 3" x 2" studwork framing with a 9mm MDF top. Well life threw me a few curve balls and the layout didn't progress beyond the track being laid and the platforms being built, and ended up not being used. The studwork started to curl as did the MDF and the plan was to start over again when the opportunity presented itself.

Well, without going into the details, I can now use an area in the main bedroom that I originally set up as a crafting station / desk for the wife. Now the baseboard may just sit on the existing structure, or I may remove the old crafting station and bolt the baseboard to the wall and add supporting legs...

Initially I was going to try and remove the MDF and secure that to a new frame, but then opted to starts again from scratch. Baseboard and frame was constructed from 9mm ply. The initial construction can be seen in the video below

I've not yet finished the board construction as I've waited until I have the servo point motors installed so I can place the cross braces in positions that don't foul the servos. One of the other factors in the slow progress has been an issue with my back which caused me to spend a day in A&E and I'm undergoing treatment for a trapped Femoral nerve, so I can't lean over the layout and working on it can be a short as 20 minutes or if I'm lucky I might go a couple of hours, but often pay for it later on that night ! I've managed to get a bulk of the track relayed (just have to do the straights at the back of the oval), and here is the track plan, with a description of operation which hopefully will keep me entertained for hours when it's finished. I'm still undecided on angling the headshunt H and adding loops behind the backscene to act as a fiddle yard.

rev j.png

Operation

Local Passenger:
DMU – An up stopping DMU will access the bay platform B via crossover A. On departure it can access the down line via the point F. It can continue round as a down stopper that will stop at the station on the mainline. Or placed in the fiddle yard (omitted for clarity) and then run back as an up service via the cross over P.

Freight:
An up freight will access the reception siding C via the crossover A and point F. It will then uncouple and move to the small heads shunt D, and then run round the train via the loop E, and run light engine joining the up line via point F

Yard shunter stabled in the engine shed G makes its way to the reception siding C and collects the uncoupled brake van. It reverses into head shunt H until the brake van is over point M. It then deposits the brake van in the departure siding N

It then reverses until its over point M and then moves forward into the reception siding C and couples to what was the last wagon at the rear of the rake. It reverses into head shunt H. It then pushes the wagons into sidings K via point O, uncoupling as required to split the train in two, with half the train being shunted into the goods depot J

When empty the wagons are taken from the goods yard and placed in the siding L. The shunter then collects the remaining half of the train form siding K and moves them into the goods depot. Once they have been emptied the shunter drags them towards head shunt H until the last wagon is clear of point Q. It then pushes the wagons into siding L to couple to the empties form the first half. It then pulls all the wagons into headshunt H. Once clear of point O it then pushes the wagons into the departure siding N and couples the waiting brake van to the end of the train. The shunter uncouples from the train and moves back to the headshunt H. The train of empties is now ready for a light engine movement to come and collect them

Coal:
An up coal will access the reception siding C via the crossover A and point F. It will then uncouple and move to the small heads shunt D, and then run round the train via the loop E, and run light engine joining the up line via point F

Yard shunter stabled in the engine shed G makes its way to the reception siding C and collects the uncoupled brake van. It reverses into head shunt H until the brake van is over point M. It then deposits the brake van in the departure siding N

It then makes its way into headshunt D via the loop E, then reverses into the reception siding C and couples onto the coal train. It then pushes the wagons into siding I to be unloaded into the coal staves. It can then be uncoupled and stationed back into the engine shed.

Once empty, the shunter couple back onto the wagons and pulls them into the reception siding C, then uncouples and runs round the train via head shunt B and loop E and then couples to what will now be the first wagon in the train.

The shunter now pulls into head shunt H until the last wagon is clear of point M. It then pushes the wagons into the departure siding N where it couples to the waiting brake van. The shunter uncouples form the wagons and goes back towards headshunt H to leave point M clear so a light loco movement can come and collect the train from the departure siding N.

This was the stage the layout was in last night. I have since completed all the sidings - and suffering for it -but no pain no gain as the saying goes.

P1019720.JPG

And after an afternoons work, the track is down

P1019723.JPG

Still need to apply some more pins in places, and fit the sleepers under the joints, but on the whole quite pleased with how it looks. Now i know where the points are I can make up and fit the cross bracing and then move on to adding dropper wires and hook up the DCC bus.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Excellent work, sorry to hear about your curve balls but well done for pushing through the pain barrier to complete what you have!

What’s the era and area that you’re modelling?

malc-c

Thanks, and as they say, no pain no gain :)

I've set the period around the mid - late 1960's when most locos were two tone green, and maroon MK1s, but I'm not really recreating a set location or exact period. I'm someone who don't care less if I was corrected for running the wrong colour coaches behind an early crest loco when they should be behind one with a later crest etc... I use that old modellers licence "its my layout, I run what I like" :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Some may recall that I've done a few rebuilds of my layout over the past few years, the latter was on a 244cm x 60cm board made form 3" x 2" studwork framing with a 9mm MDF top. Well life threw me a few curve balls and the layout didn't progress beyond the track being laid and the platforms being built, and ended up not being used. The studwork started to curl as did the MDF and the plan was to start over again when the opportunity presented itself.

Well, without going into the details, I can now use an area in the main bedroom that I originally set up as a crafting station / desk for the wife. Now the baseboard may just sit on the existing structure, or I may remove the old crafting station and bolt the baseboard to the wall and add supporting legs...

Initially I was going to try and remove the MDF and secure that to a new frame, but then opted to starts again from scratch. Baseboard and frame was constructed from 9mm ply. The initial construction can be seen in the video below

I've not yet finished the board construction as I've waited until I have the servo point motors installed so I can place the cross braces in positions that don't foul the servos. One of the other factors in the slow progress has been an issue with my back which caused me to spend a day in A&E and I'm undergoing treatment for a trapped Femoral nerve, so I can't lean over the layout and working on it can be a short as 20 minutes or if I'm lucky I might go a couple of hours, but often pay for it later on that night ! I've managed to get a bulk of the track relayed (just have to do the straights at the back of the oval), and here is the track plan, with a description of operation which hopefully will keep me entertained for hours when it's finished. I'm still undecided on angling the headshunt H and adding loops behind the backscene to act as a fiddle yard.

View attachment 113923

Operation

Local Passenger:
DMU – An up stopping DMU will access the bay platform B via crossover A. On departure it can access the down line via the point F. It can continue round as a down stopper that will stop at the station on the mainline. Or placed in the fiddle yard (omitted for clarity) and then run back as an up service via the cross over P.

Freight:
An up freight will access the reception siding C via the crossover A and point F. It will then uncouple and move to the small heads shunt D, and then run round the train via the loop E, and run light engine joining the up line via point F

It then reverses until its over point M and then moves forward into the reception siding C and couples to what was the last wagon at the rear of the rake. It reverses into head shunt H. It then pushes the wagons into sidings K via point O, uncoupling as required to split the train in two, with half the train being shunted into the goods depot J

When empty the wagons are taken from the goods yard and placed in the siding L. The shunter then collects the remaining half of the train form siding K and moves them into the goods depot. Once they have been emptied the shunter drags them towards head shunt H until the last wagon is clear of point Q. It then pushes the wagons into siding L to couple to the empties form the first half. It then pulls all the wagons into headshunt H. Once clear of point O it then pushes the wagons into the departure siding N and couples the waiting brake van to the end of the train. The shunter uncouples from the train and moves back to the headshunt H. The train of empties is now ready for a light engine movement to come and collect them

Coal:
An up coal will access the reception siding C via the crossover A and point F. It will then uncouple and move to the small heads shunt D, and then run round the train via the loop E, and run light engine joining the up line via point F

It then makes its way into headshunt D via the loop E, then reverses into the reception siding C and couples onto the coal train. It then pushes the wagons into siding I to be unloaded into the coal staves. It can then be uncoupled and stationed back into the engine shed.

Once empty, the shunter couple back onto the wagons and pulls them into the reception siding C, then uncouples and runs round the train via head shunt B and loop E and then couples to what will now be the first wagon in the train.

The shunter now pulls into head shunt H until the last wagon is clear of point M. It then pushes the wagons into the departure siding N where it couples to the waiting brake van. The shunter uncouples form the wagons and goes back towards headshunt H to leave point M clear so a light loco movement can come and collect the train from the departure siding N.

This was the stage the layout was in last night. I have since completed all the sidings - and suffering for it -but no pain no gain as the saying goes.

View attachment 113924

And after an afternoons work, the track is down

View attachment 113951

Still need to apply some more pins in places, and fit the sleepers under the joints, but on the whole quite pleased with how it looks. Now i know where the points are I can make up and fit the cross bracing and then move on to adding dropper wires and hook up the DCC bus.

It looks really good Malc. I’m liking the fact that you’re fitting sleepers under the joints too. Often overlooked but it makes a big difference to the final result.

malc-c

Thanks. I'll post up more pictures as I go, but don't expect them too frequently, I'm still paying for all that bending over the baseboards and sighting along the tracks to see that they flow right :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks. I'll post up more pictures as I go, but don't expect them too frequently, I'm still paying for all that bending over the baseboards and sighting along the tracks to see that they flow right :)

Just keep at it and post when you feel ready to. I like the way you’ve thought it all out and are taking your time to get it right.
Hope you mend up soon.

malc-c

This is what's kept me busy this evening.

P1019725.JPG

Over the months I've been tweaking the design of my own servo controller a little here and there, and whilst watching a youtube video the other week on one of my subscribed channels their sponsor was NextPCB who were offering a free service to new customers for their first set of boards. I checked it out, and yes you got 5 PCB's made for 0$ if you agreed to having their website silkscreened on them, or just $2 if you wanted this omitted. The only condition was that the board had to be 10cm x 10cm or less... mine was slightly over, only in the width. So a few hours was spend moving bits around, squeezing up tracks until it was 99.8mm wide. I uploaded the files and received the boards just over a week later.

I put one together tonight to test and confirm it all worked, only to find the regulator I ordered had the pin outs swapped compared to ones I previously used. Why some manufactures don't follow agreed standards I have no idea !. I managed to recover the correct part form an old project and swapped them out, and in advertently lifted the pads. So the two smoothing caps were removed and the correct regulator fitted using their positive pads... all part of the prototyping experience
:)

With the code uploaded I tested the board, which worked fine in both turnout mode where the servos are used to switch the points, and signal mode where the servo is used with semaphore signals, complete with paused pull up and random bounce when dropping to danger !

This will now be fitted to the control panel I'll be building along side the new layout currently under construction

10/5/22 - Update

Had physio today so was a tad more agile and thought I would add a few droppers and see if I could run some trains. I ordered some 6mm wide self adhesive copper tape from Amazon which arrived this afternoon and so i started running two lengths down the middle of the underside of the board. I then soldered a few droppers in key places and soldered them to the copper tape. This tape makes adding connections so easy !

P1019756.JPG

I need to clean the track, and I may re-work the RH curves as they are quite tight, but the 25 pulled a few coaches round and I got to play trains for half an hour :)

P1019755.JPG

Last edited:

malc-c

I was in the mood to start making the control panel. A basic box was constructed from 9mm ply, with an A4 panel in 3mm MDF. The track plan for the points was drawn up and printed as a template (the final one will be laminated or printed on glossy card.) and once drilled the first fit of the switches added. The LCD and miniDCC boards were fitted to the rear of the panel with the servo control board added after. The cabling was loosely tied as I still have some additional switches to add, plus the 22 3mm LEDs. Once it's all fitted and tested the case will get some finishing, either painted or wrapped in fablon or similar.

cp outside.png

cp inside.png

As I said, its still a WIP.... but I'm pleased with the results so far.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You should be Malc. I wish I had even half of your know-how on this kind of stuff!

malc-c

Another step forward. Over the course of a few evenings I fitted and configured the servo point motors

S3810001.JPG

I'm going to add a few more droppers to reduce the need of relying on the points to provide power to a couple of sidings, and then spend a few weeks just playing trains to confirm the layout operates as I want it to, and then I'll add the platforms and get started on the ballasting.

Iskra

Established Member
That looks intricate. Excuse my ignorance, but what are droppers? Excellent idea to thoroughly test it!

malc-c

That looks intricate. Excuse my ignorance, but what are droppers? Excellent idea to thoroughly test it!
Thanks. Droppers are short lengths of wire soldered to the track, dropped through the base board and connected to the DCC bus wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.