• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clunking Class 156 as it slows down. Brakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Glasgow

Hey all. Simple one and hopefully in the right sub-forum. Am I right in assuming the clunking you hear sometimes as a 156 pulls into a station is the brakes? Just curious.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hey all. Simple one and hopefully in the right sub-forum. Am I right in assuming the clunking you hear sometimes as a 156 pulls into a station is the brakes? Just curious.

Tread brakes often make a rubbing sound (though 156 ones are quite quiet). The clunking, if it's the noise I'm thinking of, is the two coaches sort of "jostling" against one another as they slow at different rates. You get the same thing on LHCS but it's more of a pronounced bang.

Llama

Established Member
The clunk is the three step relay/valve in the brake control unit and clunks every time the brakes are applied from 'release'. The same kit is on every other Westcode braked unit of the same era but for some reason it is a lot easier to hear on a 156.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The clunk is the three step relay/valve in the brake control unit and clunks every time the brakes are applied from 'release'. The same kit is on every other Westcode braked unit of the same era but for some reason it is a lot easier to hear on a 156.

I think that might be a different sound than I was thinking...will listen out next time! Cheers.

Llama

Established Member
If you sit in a seat nearish to the cab on the left you will hear and feel this particular clunk. It can certainly be heard from within the cab. Plenty of other clunks are available though!

rebmcr

Established Member
Seems like exactly the same thing that can be heard from the cab of 1992 Tube Stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.