• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Co-writer of 'On the Buses' tv series dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The death has been announced of Ronald Chesney, co-writer with Ronald Wolfe of the 'On the Buses' tv series in the 1970s, with its film spin-offs. I think Anna Karen, who played Olive, is the only surviving main cast member.
Apparently the two Ronnies (as they were known until two other Ronnies stole their thunder) spent a lot of time at bus depots chatting to staff, particularly drivers and conductors, prior to scripting the series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43801071
Ronald Chesney, the celebrated British sitcom writer who created On the Buses and The Rag Trade with writing partner Ronnie Wolfe, has died aged 98.

His daughter, Marianne Cadier, said he died peacefully on 12 April at Kingston Hospital in Surrey.

Chesney and Wolfe, who died in 2011, created so many TV comedies they were known as "The Other Two Ronnies".

Chesney was also an acclaimed harmonica player who performed with Gracie Fields, Duke Ellington and others...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
Apparently the two Ronnies (as they were known until two other Ronnies stole their thunder) spent a lot of time at bus depots chatting to staff, particularly drivers and conductors, prior to scripting the series.
I understand that the external bus garage scenes were shot at the old Eastern National garage in Wood Green, London.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I understand that the external bus garage scenes were shot at the old Eastern National garage in Wood Green, London.
You're right. I think some of the 'on the road' footage was from quite near there too, but in areas which weren't served by any bus routes, but I can't be specific and might well be wrong.

PeterC

Established Member
For the TV series but not for the films.
A quick Google search brings up a nice shot of Reg Varney in front of a bus with ENOC fleet number and WG garage allocation clearly visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.