• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coach tour of M25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
I hope they're not expecting much of a view on the southern half, with those tedious fences like a wooden version of the Berlin Wall. You'd get some quite nice views if it wasn't for them, I bet.

CC 72100

Established Member
Very different indeed. I did briefly check the date whilst I read the article, would have been a great April fools day piece!

Ivo

Established Member
Might make for an interesting day out :lol:

I do like how they've indicated that South Mimms and Clacket Lane offer a chance to experience motorway cuisine. What they don't mention are the steep prices they charge, which are a common problem with motorway services from the public perspective. I also like how Mr Ashcroft is hoping for congestion :p

LE Greys

Established Member
Well, as I found out recently, there's a whole history of London Ringways and loads of bits that never got built, so there might be a few surprises. Thing is, how many times can you tell someone, "Well, this bit would have been part of Ringway 4, but it's slightly off the original planned course," when crawling down towards Heathrow?

anthony263

Established Member
I wonder if there is a guide book for the M25 like there is for the M4 and some of the other motorways

LE Greys

Established Member
There's Sinclair, Iain (2002), London Orbital: A Walk Around the M25, London: Granta Books, ISBN 1862075476.
Phippen, Roy (2005), Travelling M25 Clockwise, London: Pallas Athene, ISBN 1873429908.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M25_motorway#Popular_culture

The "Racing" section reminds me of a tall tale I heard once. Allegedly, Ayrton Senna was once caught doing 160 mph in a Porsche on the M25. The policeman who pulled him over supposedly asked, "Who do you think you are, Nigel Mansell?".

Nige's response was that he was astonished anyone had got out of second gear on the M25. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.