• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coach U ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Travelled to Carlisle and back today from FKG outward via Glasgow and Edinburgh inbound on Virgin.

Whats the idea behind coach U , somewhat out of kilter with the rest of the lettering and sequence ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Easier than renumbering the next 4 coaches at a guess, especially after a decade of use. It also doubles up well for 'Unreserved'.

CC 72100

Established Member
Travelled to Carlisle and back today from FKG outward via Glasgow and Edinburgh inbound on Virgin.

Whats the idea behind coach U , somewhat out of kilter with the rest of the lettering and sequence ?

I believe it is coach U for 'unreserved'. Makes it easier to know which one to head towards, rather than going down the train finding 'reserved' labels in every seat.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
being marshalled next to coach F, it helps demonstrate the true attitude towards their passengers :P

(note to any Virgin staff: I jest)

Butts

Veteran Member
being marshalled next to coach F, it helps demonstrate the true attitude towards their passengers :P

(note to any Virgin staff: I jest)

If they moved around coaches c and k as well it could be really interesting :roll:

andykn

Reminds me of the time we were meeting a mate already on board the train who told us he was in Coach U.

It was Coach J on a sunny day with two 'J' paper labels stuck back to back on the window.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Whilst there is a mixture of 9 and 11-car Pendolinos in service it makes little sense, especially as three coaches (E, F and U) are unreserved on the 11-car Pendolinos.

However, if all Pendolinos are lengthened to 11-car (which I'm sure will happen eventually), coaches E and F can be made reservable leaving coach U the sole "unreserved" coach.

Established Member
Whilst there is a mixture of 9 and 11-car Pendolinos in service it makes little sense, especially as three coaches (E, F and U) are unreserved on the 11-car Pendolinos.

However, if all Pendolinos are lengthened to 11-car (which I'm sure will happen eventually), coaches E and F can be made reservable leaving coach U the sole "unreserved" coach.

Although, if there are set diagrams for 9 and 11 cars once the Pendolinos currently planned to be extended have been done, then reservations for Coaches E and F can be taken on the 11-car services only.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Although, if there are set diagrams for 9 and 11 cars once the Pendolinos currently planned to be extended have been done, then reservations for Coaches E and F can be taken on the 11-car services only.

I don't think ATOS' systems would cope with that. :lol: Set diagrams seem unlikely anyway. Imagine reserving 152 people in Coaches E and F and a 9-car turns up. There would be havoc.

Status
Not open for further replies.