• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coal Wagons leaking liquid?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordy

Established Member
Hi

Just got back from an afternoons photting at Worlaby (West of Barnetby), while there, a Freightliner 66 passed with a train of standard Freighliner coal wagons like these heading towards Scunthorpe (so probably loaded). Strangely, water, or at least a liquid of some sort, was leaking - quite quickly, from the small gap between the hopper doors at the bottom of EVERY wagon, the liquid was spraying all over the place, and left a clearly visible strip of 'wetness' along the track as far as I was able to see.

I have no idea why liquid would be leaking from the bottom of a coal wagon, and certainly haven't seen it before...!

Can anyone shed any light?

EDIT: Here is a video, you can see the liquid if you look closely, you will also notice it sprays onto my camera!

Video

NB: It was not raining

Cheers

Jordy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Raining in the Origin of the Freight Train then just spraying out as it filtered through the coal?

Bastiaan

In case the weather was quite hot, could this liquid be water that was sprayed on the coal, to prevent it from catching fire?

Jordy

Established Member
I suppose thats a reasonable suggestion too! It was quite hot, although i've never heard of that being done before!

ChrisCooper

Established Member
It's common to wet coal when it's dry to prevent dust. Coal dust is actually explosive if it's in the right mixture with air, so it's not something you want a lot of around. It's not really a problem on the train, but it can be in enclosed spaces like the bunkers and loading areas, especially when being dropped into the wagons.

Hentis

Hi

Just got back from an afternoons photting at Worlaby (West of Barnetby), while there, a Freightliner 66 passed with a train of standard Freighliner coal wagons like these heading towards Scunthorpe (so probably loaded). Strangely, water, or at least a liquid of some sort, was leaking - quite quickly, from the small gap between the hopper doors at the bottom of EVERY wagon, the liquid was spraying all over the place, and left a clearly visible strip of 'wetness' along the track as far as I was able to see.

I have no idea why liquid would be leaking from the bottom of a coal wagon, and certainly haven't seen it before...!

Can anyone shed any light?

EDIT: Here is a video, you can see the liquid if you look closely, you will also notice it sprays onto my camera!

Video

NB: It was not raining

Cheers

Jordy

Makes no difference whether it was raining where you were but at origin of the train it might have or a few miles before it reached you. Its not uncommon. Nothing to worry about. At least it was not acid from a tank train!! :)

Hentis

Established Member
Maybe the weedkiller train failed and they put the weedkiller fluid in the hoppers and then ran it over the bit of line where the weed killer train would have gone! Yer you see lol, i duno just made that up out of the blue, man all this time off school is not good for my head!

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Yeah, I meant more on trains!

It's probably been wetted either before or during loading so a lot of dust isn't created when it drops into the wagons. Depending on how far you were from the loading point, it might still be wet from that.

Jordy

Established Member
Ah I see

Makes no difference whether it was raining where you were but at origin of the train it might have or a few miles before it reached you.

I thought of that, but the there were coal trains (coming from the same place) either side of it, and neither of them were leaking ;)

Nothing to worry about. At least it was not acid from a tank train!! :)

Oh I wasn't worried, just interested, seemed a little odd!

Cheers

Jordy

Status
Not open for further replies.