• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coastal railways with Julie Walters channel 4 sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainmania100

Established Member
Channel 4 sunday 26th at 8pm
Coastal railways programme 1hrs duration starring Julia Walters
Says in the TV mag she hasn't been on a train in years so might be interesting
Apologies if in the wrong section couldn't find the TV section

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bedpan

Established Member
Great Program. The first half had the most railway content - she was on the Jacobite and the programme featured Fort William station, Banavie swing bridge and Neptune's Staircase, Glenfinnan Viaduct and Mallaig, so dare I say more "All the Stations" than Michael Portillo. She reached Mallaig by the half way point and the actual railway content evaporated in the second half, although the programme was still interesting. just a bit on Kyle of Lockalsh station (after she had visited Skye) and her taking the train to Duirinish where she had another stop, before a final shot of the train skirting Loch Carron.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
It's all getting a bit repetitive, isn't it? The bit where Julie Walters got off at some remote station and visited a place where civilians were taught how to be wartime spies was exactly the same as Paul Merton's visit when he did his Secret Stations show last year!

Perhaps the terrestrial channels should pool their resources and just give Portillo, Tarrant, Merton and Walters 14 day all-line rovers and send them out to make a documentary together!

Butts

Veteran Member
It's all getting a bit repetitive, isn't it? The bit where Julie Walters got off at some remote station and visited a place where civilians were taught how to be wartime spies was exactly the same as Paul Merton's visit when he did his Secret Stations show last year!

Perhaps the terrestrial channels should pool their resources and just give Portillo, Tarrant, Merton and Walters 14 day all-line rovers and send them out to make a documentary together!

I didn't think it was that good - Walters Show.

Hardly anything was featured on the Kyle to Inverness section. Also she could have driven over to the Isle of Skye from Kyle of Lochalsh.

Well below Portillo or Tarrant - we really need Palin doing these shows.

High Dyke

Established Member

Hardly anything was featured on the Kyle to Inverness section. Also she could have driven over to the Isle of Skye from Kyle of Lochalsh.

Haven't had chance to see this yet, but thanks for reminding me it was on. :smile:

Equally though she could have done what we did last year and walked across the bridge. Far more exhilarating.

Bedpan

Established Member

I was going to say that in fairness to C4 the title is "Coastal Railways" and I wouldn't call the Kyle line that other perhaps where it skirts Loch Carron. But the majority of the Fort William - Mallaig line is inland too.

southern442

Established Member

Like a Top Gear sort of thing? :lol:

DelW

Established Member
Last Sunday's included the expected continuity issues as the Jacobite's loco alternated between K1 and Black 5 :)

It's undemanding fare (I think I dozed off in the Skye storyteller section), and some of the non-railway phraseology and continuity glitches will likely raise some hackles, but I shall probably continue watching - the 'next week's teaser' included some shots of the Welsh Highland Garratts.

I like that idea, it could be a railway equivalent of the Real Marigold Hotel or Celebrity Carry on Barging trips!

IanD

Established Member
I like that idea, it could be a railway equivalent of the Real Marigold Hotel or Celebrity Carry on Barging trips!

Maybe we could have a vote each week to see who gets to eat the ubiquitous breakfast cooked on the shovel and who gets to leave.

Ruhannol

Last Sunday's included the expected continuity issues as the Jacobite's loco alternated between K1 and Black 5 :)

It's undemanding fare (I think I dozed off in the Skye storyteller section), and some of the non-railway phraseology and continuity glitches will likely raise some hackles, but I shall probably continue watching - the 'next week's teaser' included some shots of the Welsh Highland Garratts.

I'm local to the area, and surmised that she got off the morning Jacobite at Arisaig, then got on the afternoon service after filming at Arisaig house. Would this explain the two loco's?

ian1944

I don't like Julie Walters, but watched the Newcastle to Waverley one from local interest, incidentally winning a little bet with myself. Yes, there was a shot of Drem station ("lead us not into ...", as the local joke has it) with the implication that the Virgin EC train from Berwick had stopped there. Formulaic, predictable, stage-managed, emphasising the cult (spellcheck here) of the personality. Yes, I'm a bit sour about it.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I don't like Julie Walters, but watched the Newcastle to Waverley one from local interest, incidentally winning a little bet with myself. Yes, there was a shot of Drem station ("lead us not into ...", as the local joke has it) with the implication that the Virgin EC train from Berwick had stopped there. Formulaic, predictable, stage-managed, emphasising the cult (spellcheck here) of the personality. Yes, I'm a bit sour about it.

A sadly typical response for this board which completely misses the fact this is a piece of televisual entertainment for normal people not a spotter documentary. I watched this episode with my gf who's interest in trains stretches about as far as making sure the train to Leeds turns up for work. Guess how much she cared about the continuity errors picked out in lip smacking detail above? That right: Not at all.

I do wish some of you would get grip.

By comparison we also watched Guy Martins WW1 tank - I bet that was full of errors, especially in the use of period footage. Did we care? No.

IanD

Established Member
I do like the route through Dawlish but "one of the most dramatic coastal journeys in the world" is a bit hyperbolic.

ian1944

A sadly typical response for this board which completely misses the fact this is a piece of televisual entertainment for normal people not a spotter documentary. I watched this episode with my gf who's interest in trains stretches about as far as making sure the train to Leeds turns up for work. Guess how much she cared about the continuity errors picked out in lip smacking detail above? That right: Not at all.

I do wish some of you would get grip.

By comparison we also watched Guy Martins WW1 tank - I bet that was full of errors, especially in the use of period footage. Did we care? No.

Good grief, lighten up. I mock a piece of standard stage-management which I was expecting, and you sound off about (presumably) pedantry. The lip-smacking and errors in the plural seem to be your invention. Maybe you should just tolerate everyone's foibles and preferences - it's the topic we're expressing a view on, not each other.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Good grief, lighten up. I mock a piece of standard stage-management which I was expecting, and you sound off about (presumably) pedantry. The lip-smacking and errors in the plural seem to be your invention. Maybe you should just tolerate everyone's foibles and preferences - it's the topic we're expressing a view on, not each other.

Dear me. What silliness. You indicated that you were "sour" about the "Formulaic, predictable, stage-managed, emphasising the cult (spellcheck here) of the personality" shown in the programme. That is exactly what makes it watchable by the general public!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I do like the route through Dawlish but "one of the most dramatic coastal journeys in the world" is a bit hyperbolic.

I think the word beautiful could have been more suitable? although I suppose it's all down to personal opinion, then again I suppose dramatic would be very applicable on a stormy winters day.

Crossover

Established Member
Regarding the ECML episode, the VTEC to Drem didn't go unnoticed by me either (in fact, if the trip was actually done by train and not by road as I suspect may have been a possibility it would have taken her on a double back through Waverley or at least via whichever station the Dunbar to Waverley service first calls at). However, as mentioned by @DarloRich, the majority of watchers would have neither realised nor cared and for us who are a bit more in the know, we should take it for what it is

Tubeboy

I’m loving this series. I think it’s great.

DarloRich is correct. This is a general interest programme featuring trains. It’s not meant for the rivet counters, it’s an easy going documentary for people slumped on the sofa who like a bit of nostalgia and comedy before they start their working week.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've found this series very enjoyable so far - I've always enjoyed Julie Walters' style of comedy.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I'm loving the series, albeit it's only a short one. I had to laugh at the quote she made between Berwick and Edinburgh/Drem/North Berwick about sitting in First Class being the insistence of the TOC, to make them look good! Brilliant!

Requeststop

@yorksrob

Me too, I've just caught up with the last of the series, and enjoyed it a lot. Good Humour, and some interesting things to see at various stops. They even included a couple of aerial views of the curve from Lelant to Pothkidney Sands that I really appreciated from 9,600+ miles from home.
I also had a chuckle when she said they'd never get Portillo down that Zip-wire and other digs at him too. Good on you Julie and more soon please.

By the way - To you all who take the trouble to read my occasional postings here and especially to those who reply (not always favourably). Merry Christmas and Safe Journeys for 2018 from PNG.

Status
Not open for further replies.