• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coasts & Peaks Rover, February 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracked

Established Member
Ongoing this, first day yesterday ...

Caught the 05:40 from Doncaster to Stockport, lightly loaded even past Sheffield and just got a bit of a glimpse of the snow from the 185.

Changed at Stockport for a 390 down to Crewe, again it was lightly loaded and so I was able to enjoy the journey with a window, quite like the 390's apart from that little problem.

Crewe to Chester is a 150/2, a bit scruffy and I'm not sure the murals at the drivers end of the carriage are really paint peeling, I also miss getting a photo of the 90's stored up that way.

Caught a 175 up to Llandudno, and a 158 from there to Bangor, the 175 could've done with a bit of cleaning inside it has to be said.

Following a lunchtime visit to Caernarfon on the bus, it's back from Bangor to Llandudno Junction and a walk over to Conwy.

After this it was a 175 to Colwyn Bay, for a quick look round (and that's all I really needed ... ) and then another 175 into Manchester Picadilly. I think the route through Frodsham is a new one for me, but I don't think it being light would've improved the view ...

The usual chaos at platform 13 at Picadilly, Man Utd are at home today so the station's full of their fans going home - most of which had their Liverpool-Nottingham train cancelled and end up cramming onto the 185 I'm on til Doncaster. Packed, then deserted after Sheffield.

Final train of the day is a 321 to Bentley.

Not got many train pictures, but there was a 175 at Conwy ...

Attachments

• IMG_4938.jpg
    IMG_4938.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 33
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tracked

Established Member
Monday 13th Feb,

Started off with a 158 to Sheffield, then changed for a 185 to Stockport.

From Stockport caught a 390 into Crewe and then a 350 up to Liverpool.

After a few hours looking round the Docks & Centre of Liverpool I caught a 319 back to Victoria, getting a look at progress on the Ordsall chord.

A few hours in Mnachester and it was a 158 back to Sheffield and 142/4's to Doncaster and Bentley.

Tuesday 14th Feb,

220 to Sheffield today, and 185 into Manchester.

Bit of a delay at Manchester, 5 trains due out before mine were held up without explanation, the 175 to Shrewsbury was seven minutes down by the time it left and lost a bit more having to stop before Wilmslow.

175 Back to Crewe from Shrewsbury, quite a few 68's were outside Gresty Road, plus a pair of 73's at the Virgin depot over the line. Other interesting things were a pair of 387's (145 & 142) on test in Crewe station, plus a pair of 92's (33 and 43, 33 in CS livery and with a lamp in its cab, failed?)

Crewe to Stafford on a 350, then back up to Stockport on a 221, over the new Norton Bridge flyover, first time I've had the chance.

Stockport to Sheffield on a 158 and then Doncaster & Bentley on 142's ...

Attachments

• IMG_5024.jpg
    IMG_5024.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 14

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like you've made good use of a coast and peaks rover :)

What I'd do is probably just stay on the Manchester 67 all day, for the mega mileage.

Tracked

Established Member
Wednesday 15th Feb

220 to Sheffield, 185 to Stockport and 390 to Crewe as nearly usual by now ...

221 from Crewe to Holyhead, the first 5-car part of which turned up about 10 minutes early, followed by the 4-car part which had worked from Euston. Lots of fun at the start of the journey when the announcements weren't working properly;

"this is the ... virgin trains service to ... calling at ... "

After setting off they sorted this, and it turned out my seat was reserved, though no-one actually claimed it during the journey. In fact, I had the coach to myself, as I think did the person in the coach in front of me ...

Got into Holyhead and saw an ATW 82 at the end of a train, nipped into town for dinner and got that all the way back to Manchester - 67010+4 mk3's+82308. Was sat near the engine, but found that noisier and bumpier than the voyager, so went right to the front for a quieter ride.

142 over the hope valley, then a 185 into Doncaster and 144 back to Bentley.

Attachments

• IMG_5078.jpg
    IMG_5078.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5079.jpg
    IMG_5079.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.