• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coastway West Stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

themeone

Just curious, does anyone know the thinking behind the extra stops on some of Southern's Coastway West services between Swanwick and Southampton Central?

I've noticed evening and early morning services additionally stopping at some or all of St Denys, Woolston and Netley.

It seems no sooner had we got rid of the Redhill stop, these extra stops were introduced at the other end of the route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pompeyfan

Established Member
They’ve been there for ages, they’re certainly not new... I believe all stations along the Netley line are served by southern at least once on a weekday.

last week when there was no Southern service, GWR were calling additionally at Swanwick.

themeone

I guess I missed their introduction as I'm a regular but not very frequent traveller on the route. On the trains I've been on, very few seem to get on or off at the additional stops.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I guess I missed their introduction as I'm a regular but not very frequent traveller on the route. On the trains I've been on, very few seem to get on or off at the additional stops.
The morning peak towards Southampton SN calls have been in place at least 10 or 12 years, probably even more. I wasn’t using the line much at all before then, but IIRC they were already happening before the SN Brightons started running. It spreads the load out between the hourly SWR services at probably the busiest time of day.

This should link to the oldest online table 165 I can find, from Dec 2011. SN’s calls on the Netley line are not much different to today’s:
http://www.railtables.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/railtables/network/dec11/Table165.pdf

Last edited:
They also run via Eastleigh a couple of times a day and stop at the airport. Pretty sure I read on here they wanted to run more services this way round but Crosscountry were given priority over the paths instead.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They also run via Eastleigh a couple of times a day and stop at the airport. Pretty sure I read on here they wanted to run more services this way round but Crosscountry were given priority over the paths instead.
Yes, that’s right about XC, there was an access dispute about it before it ever got off the ground, and XC’s extra Southampton services were given priority. So that dates it to around 2010/11 or so?
SN had proposed running a sort of one way loop service where they would only call at Eastleigh, Southampton Parkway and Swanwick in one direction. This could be done without any other rolling stock, but going both ways meant another unit was needed in service, with a very long layover at Southampton. I expect running westbound via Eastleigh would have been better operationally to avoid crossing the down line there.

Status
Not open for further replies.