• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cobblers to stay for longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AlexS said:
Basically, I'm giving you a choice. You can either be nice, be sociable, and stop challenging the admins, or I can give you some more strikes to your total. You choose.

How many strikes do i have exactly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Julian G

Established Member
yorkie said:
Bonnie Prince Charlie said:
One of the cobblers is due to be stepped down, i think a 12 car 321 is to take over
Unlikely as 321s are banished from the fast lines (and for good reason), except contra-peak.
actually 321 are not banned on the fast lines south of Rugby according to a user in wnxx.com
i was on a 321 on the fast lines on a Northampton stopper because the slow lines were closed (duh!! ;) )

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1288gaje said:
actually 321 are not banned on the fast lines south of Rugby according to a user in wnxx.com
i was on a 321 on the fast lines on a Northampton stopper because the slow lines were closed (duh!! ;) )
I meant they are not diagrammed to use the fast lines (except contra-peak). Of course if there is engineering works the fast lines can be used!

The issue is over pathing. If a 321 is used on the fast lines, say it takes 3 minutes longer than a Pendolino, that's one extra path wasted. 6 minutes, that's two extra paths wasted. And so on.

The banishing of 321s on the fasts is what led to the decision to put Class 90s on the 'Cobblers'. Quite simply the 321s cannot get out of the way of the following Virgin services fast enough, without risking delaying Virgin.

This is the reasoning behind the 12-car platform extentions, the new turnback facility at Tring and the increase in line speed on the slow lines to 100mph. This is so that all[1] Silverlink trains can be booked to use the slow lines.

When I say the 321s are barred from the fast lines, I mean they are not diagrammed to do so. In the event of severe delays, engineering works, or other unforseen circumstances then you may see 321s on the fast lines.

[1] except for 2 Northampton-Euston fasts in each direction

Status
Not open for further replies.