• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Colas Class 70 fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExRes

Established Member
Firstly my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere

I had cause to look up Class 70s on Wikipedia today, the article states that Colas have ordered a further 7 locos for delivery by 2017

Does anyone know the veracity of this claim ?, are the engines within emission standards now ?, if they do meet requirements and the claim is correct, then I say well done Colas and why are others, such as GBRf, not ordering them as well ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
Firstly my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere

I had cause to look up Class 70s on Wikipedia today, the article states that Colas have ordered a further 7 locos for delivery by 2017

Does anyone know the veracity of this claim ?, are the engines within emission standards now ?, if they do meet requirements and the claim is correct, then I say well done Colas and why are others, such as GBRf, not ordering them as well ?

I believe the engines were within emission standards; turns out both Colas and FL were supplied with the wrong oil, hence why they spewed out so much exhaust! And yes, the order was confirmed in Issue 170 of Today's Railways (and via WNXX as well). I believe that GBRf, with their final order of 66s, will have an ample supply of locos. DRS have the 68s, FL have a lot of surplus sheds (as workings have been lost to rival co's); some have even been exported to Poland! DB of course have a very large 60 surplus.

455driver

Veteran Member
I believe the engines were within emission standards; turns out both Colas and FL were supplied with the wrong oil, hence why they spewed out so much exhaust! And yes, the order was confirmed in Issue 170 of Today's Railways (and via WNXX as well). I believe that GBRf, with their final order of 66s, will have an ample supply of locos. DRS have the 68s, FL have a lot of surplus sheds (as workings have been lost to rival co's); some have even been exported to Poland! DB of course have a very large 60 surplus and have also exported 66s to Poland and France..

Slight edit for accuracy! ;)

BRX

Established Member
Video on YouTube of these under testing in the US.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KYkZUyyLKXk

Does anyone know what they are likely to be used for when they arrive? For a while after the first Colas 70s were delivered, they were being regularly used on the NR trips between Hoo Junction/Eastleigh/Whitemoor but I've noticed their usage on these has declined to pretty much zero now.

Last edited:

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Video on YouTube of these under testing in the US.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KYkZUyyLKXk

Does anyone know what they are likely to be used for when they arrive? For a while after the first Colas 70s were delivered, they were being regularly used on the NR trips between Hoo Junction/Eastleigh/Whitemoor but I've noticed their usage on these has declined to pretty much zero now.

Like a pair of N Gauge locos pulling HO gauge models along.

D365

Veteran Member
That just tells us that there is a problem with a cab, instead of what the problem is. However, the problem seems to have been a collision on a worksite that has left it damaged

To my eye, that looks like a significant improvement ;)

BRX

Established Member
I thought the 70s were pretty ugly when I first saw them... now though I quite like them, they look like real working machines unlike say the 68s the front ends of which look like over-inflated sports cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.