• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Colas Rail UK- Apprentice Train Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGreen

i guess they are only contacting people who have succeeded? i applied and got application received email but nothing then.

I contacted recruitment, as I also applied but haven’t heard anything, and they said keep an eye on your emails because you will hear either way. They replied within 10 minutes which I was impressed with as most companies never even respond.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

This is incorrect. There was a group of trainees taken on in early 2014. The trainee jobs were advertised in the autumn of 2013. There were 15 trainee drivers. All of them with the exception of one are still driving today.

I'll pipe up here with some info.

To be clear I am NOT speaking on behalf of the company and anything I write is my own opinion/thoughts. I am NOT involved in ANY part of the recruitment process.

To help some of you though...

The rostering is very much based on job requirements and current workload. Colas do lots of possession trains as well as SCO trippers. They also have their commercial freight flows and the yellow test trains. Generally, to begin with, you'll learn to drive with various instructors and mentors. You'll get familiar with driving many different types of trains and when you pass out you'll have a first route. You'll regularly work over that first route and work as a worksite driver in possessions whether or not you sign the route - this means regular weekends and nights (you do get a rest day pattern so you do also get time off). As you become more experienced you'll begin to learn new routes and as you get a bigger route card you'll get more work. The standard working week for drivers is 36 hours a week, 144 hours every 4 weeks although many drivers generally do more.

Drivers usually get a company van, a Ford Fiesta, and this is a pool van for work use ONLY, it's not personal issue. You will drive a van, from home, to a relieving point and the driver you relieve will take your van and you'll then pick up another van at the next relieving point from the incoming driver or collect one left at your finish point and then drive home. How far you have to drive at the beginning or end of a job is dependant on where the job is and your hours. Some jobs mean you end up staying away in hotels.

There seems to be negativity around this position. You have to remember that the main order of business for Colas is running trains. They rarely recruit trainees and so I don't think they have a massive department that deals with recruitment. I imagine they will take on trainees although it might not be within the time frame they specified. If you've not been on the railway before you need to understand there's standard time and railway time. Things on the railway happen at a different pace to normal life and lots and lots of waiting can be part of the recruitment process and once you're a driver, it most definitely becomes part of your life as a driver!

I hope this helps some of you.
Thanks for this excellent info. Having applied three times to Colas and never heard anything back I suspected it was because they had a small recruitment team. Is always good to get a response from an application, even when unsuccessful. Hope to hear from them this time as has been suggested by TGreen.

FastTrax

I contacted recruitment, as I also applied but haven’t heard anything, and they said keep an eye on your emails because you will hear either way. They replied within 10 minutes which I was impressed with as most companies never even respond.
thnx.

Did you guys take the test as well?

No Eebbs1912, no test for me. I emailed them, after a few posters on this thread stated that they had been given the opportunity to take the tests, and they told me decisions would be made shortly. I heard nothing else until today when I received my rejection email.
Yes they replied, which is more than most have received in recent years. However, to be told I "do not meet the requirements of the role fully" smarts a little bit. This rail lark is a brutal game.

YingYing

I too have just got that email. At least we've been told straight rather than having no response at all as appears the case in previous recruitments. Better luck next time I suppose, and best wishes to folks that are through to the next stage! :D

Eebbs1912

Thanks for the reply. I took the test about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. I'm currently working as a trainee driver operator on otm's its been slow progress though. Hopefully I'll find out one way or another about this soon.

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I took the test about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. I'm currently working as a trainee driver operator on otm's its been slow progress though. Hopefully I'll find out one way or another about this soon.
Why do you want to move to another trainee post? Just being nosy really, but surely you’d be better off where you are and getting qualified there?

D5581

Why do you want to move to another trainee post? Just being nosy really, but surely you’d be better off where you are and getting qualified there?
I'd agree with that.
To be quite honest, training on OTMs is probably the safest bet out of the lot at the moment in the current climate. One of the reasons I chose to go in as a trainee OTM driver operator (start in a few week time).

tiptoptaff

Established Member
If I was a trainee OTM driver/operator and I had the chance to go and drive 'proper' trains I'd take it

Stigy

Established Member
If I was a trainee OTM driver/operator and I had the chance to go and drive 'proper' trains I'd take it
Whilst still a trainee? And effectively start again? I wouldn’t. I’d do my time and transfer once qualified.

Eebbs1912

Done the online test thing in November for it then not heard anything since. I'm not too fussed now tbh as l'm booked on a driver's apprenticeship course in may now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.