• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Colas - Trainee Freight Driver - Multiple Locations (02/03/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

baz962

Established Member
Mod note: Table posted latterly by @HeritageSussex

Trainee Freight Train Driver- Carlisle/ Newcastle
Contract Type :Full/Part Time :
Vacancy ID :020456Closing Date :06-Apr-2022
Trainee Freight Train Driver- Crewe
Contract Type :Apprentice / TraineeFull/Part Time :Full Time
Vacancy ID :020280Closing Date :02-Apr-2022
Trainee Freight Train Driver- Oxford/Swindon
Vacancy ID :020458Closing Date :06-Apr-2022
Trainee Freight Train Driver- South-East
Vacancy ID :020457Closing Date :06-Apr-2022

They have a video to go along with the recruitment campaign

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Colas have advertised quite a few times for drivers and yet I've never heard of anyone on here getting an interview let alone an actual job!

Eebbs1912

Anyone know what the salary / pay structure is?
£23,707 trainee. Need to do 250 hours driving then £58,350. Should be over £60,000 in April. 36hr week

Colas have advertised quite a few times for drivers and yet I've never heard of anyone on here getting an interview let alone an actual job!
Yes, I started last week as a trainee with my mate.

NorthernTech

£23,707 trainee. Need to do 250 hours driving then £58,350. Should be over £60,000 in April. 36hr week

Congratulations on starting! Nice to hear someone getting on with them finally. We’re you straight off the street, so to speak, or were you already working with them or on railway already? Do they have a lot of lodging away do you know?

Eebbs1912

Congratulations on starting! Nice to hear someone getting on with them finally. We’re you straight off the street, so to speak, or were you already working with them or on railway already? Do they have a lot of lodging away do you know?
No already had some driving hours on otms as a trainee
Been told i won't lodge away much

Last edited:

NorthernTech

No already had some driving hours on otms as a trainee
Been told i won't lodge away much
Cheers pal, nice to see they promote up the otm drivers. I assumed some lodging away, especially as they mention it in the advert. Do they offer decent pension and conditions?

Eebbs1912

Cheers pal, nice to see they promote up the otm drivers. I assumed some lodging away, especially as they mention it in the advert. Do they offer decent pension and conditions?
Sorry mate i should've said. I wasn't with colas otms. I was with another firm. They did start another 8 trainee drivers though the other week, since were their fitters, done were external no experience etc. So it's Defo worth going for it.

NorthernTech

Top man! Any pension info or other benefits you can disclose? Pm if not publicly publishable..

Gemz91

Is the £60,000 freight or intermodel side? Or is the wage the same for both?

NorthernTech

Is the £60,000 freight or intermodel side? Or is the wage the same for both?
Do you mean intermodal or heavy haul? As in how Freightliner divide their work? Both are freight. I don’t think Colas have any separation of driving types, unless you are driving OTM’s

BlueMike26

Do they enforce the same 60 minutes commute rule that other TOCs do? Nothing mentioned in the initial ad.

Eebbs1912

Do they enforce the same 60 minutes commute rule that other TOCs do? Nothing mentioned in the initial ad.
I'm not 100% sure tbh mate, I don't think so though as you're job location is down as home-based, so travel from home to x and drive to y, then home as rostered, not like when based at a depot/station with a TOC.

4F89

I'm not 100% sure tbh mate, I don't think so though as you're job location is down as home-based, so travel from home to x and drive to y, then home as rostered, not like when based at a depot/station with a TOC.
But also, not paid for first and last hour under assumed commute.

NorthernTech

Are they using an apprenticeship route??
Unsure myself, but what difference would it make to you if they did?? I only ask because, as seen in another thread, it seems there is a negativity to there being a driver apprenticeship rather than traineeship, oddly. Also, when I clicked on vacancies to see if it showed details of apprenticeship, which I couldn’t see any evidence of, I see Crewe vacancy seems to have been removed now. I presume it reached maximum numbers.

Last edited:

Matt85

Unsure myself, but what difference would it make to you if they did?? I only ask because, as seen in another thread, it seems there is a negativity to there being a driver apprenticeship rather than traineeship, oddly. Also, when I clicked on vacancies to see if it showed details of apprenticeship, which I couldn’t see any evidence of, I see Crewe vacancy seems to have been removed now. I presume it reached maximum numbers.
I’ve done one myself and in my opinion they are a huge waste of time and in no way beneficial to the job

NorthernTech

I’ve done one myself and in my opinion they are a huge waste of time and in no way beneficial to the job
Ok, cool. The training course that it runs with it will no doubt prepare the student for the job though, as intended. If you want to discuss the merits of apprenticeship vs traineeship there is another thread running..

NorthernTech

What’s wrong with the apprenticeship with Colas?
I dont think it’s anything to do with Colas, but more that some people seem to have a beef with there being apprenticeships now rather than traineeships. See the other thread that is running on the forum, but some people seem to have odd reasons (IMO) to be against the apprenticeship. Each to their own I suppose.. If you are looking to apply for the Newcastle one, I’d get an application in quick as the Crewe one has dropped off the vacancy list already.

Have you or are you just doing one now with Freightliner by any chance?

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
That’s the way it goes, and I agree. However, the rules training etc won’t suffer because of it. If someone doesn’t want to apply based on it being an Apprenticeship, they don’t have to apply. It’s very much a captive audience and I’m pretty sure Colas wouldn’t mind if they received a few less applications.

Diedinium

Interesting, the adverts don't mention the 60 minute commute distance limitation like they usually do? Can I assume that still applies, or do you think they'll be more flexible in this case for whatever reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.