• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coldest UK railway station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tio Terry

It was many years ago and I was much younger, but I can remember working near Shippea Hill on a cold and very foggy night - it's called a whore frost in that part of the world (or is that hoar?) - and becoming aware of ice forming on the shoulders of my BR issue overcoat. Dampness in the air from the fog and the cold temperature. Black ice on the roads and several vehicles having close moments or ending up in ditches. But I've never worked, or been, in the far North during winter so things may well be worse there.

R G NOW.

Gloucester is freezing in winter time on platform 1. And those cheap glass waiting rooms aren't much better as the heaters do not warm them properly.

McRhu

Carluke. Down platform at 0550 on a pre-dawn Winter's morning. It's not unusual for commuters to snap like sticks of frozen rhubarb in the -272 degrees wind.

KevinTurvey

I always thought that Liverpool Exchange was a cold and draughty place too, so many mentions also of Preston, Crewe and Chester, is it any coincidence all these stations had similar type roof designs?

vlad

The coldest I've ever felt on a station was on the platform at Exeter St Davids. Compared with that, Idridgehay in a blizzard was positively balmy (although the brazier the EVR had provided wasn't giving out much heat).

route101

Established Member
I changed trains there , seemed like there was nothing there ,shelter was so small , when it as raining.

Established Member
High level is cold too.
For you to say that you've obviously never spent a long time waiting at Low Level! It's the slow tunnel borne movement of freezing air from east to west that makes it such a special nomination...

route101

Established Member
For you to say that you've obviously never spent a long time waiting at Low Level! It's the slow tunnel borne movement of freezing air from east to west that makes it such a special nomination...

Oh yes i have .

Whistler40145

Established Member
How does Glasgow Central Low Level compare to Glasgow Queen Street Low Level for being cold and windy?

Established Member
How does Glasgow Central Low Level compare to Glasgow Queen Street Low Level for being cold and windy?
I've never noticed it to the same extent. The Central tunnel is longer and not plumb on east west in the way that the Queen Street one is. That said, there may be people on here who are more expert on the Argyle Line than I am.

route101

Established Member
I've never noticed it to the same extent. The Central tunnel is longer and not plumb on east west in the way that the Queen Street one is. That said, there may be people on here who are more expert on the Argyle Line than I am.

Its warmer but dingier /smellier

Snow1964

Established Member
Coldest I have ever been getting off a train (tube actually) was about 15 years ago. I used the small Eastern Exit at Canary Wharf, but blasted by a full on Beast from the East, coming straight up Thames Estuary complete with dampness from river.

Was only about -8c, but those massive buildings cause a funnelling of wind and it was a 50+mph windchill (so effectively about -25c). Wasn’t expecting a drop of 30c (or 45c with windchill) whilst going up an escalator

Will never happen again, as Wood Wharf has been built, blocking direct wind

I spent a couple of hours waiting in the small shed that passes for a waiting room in Corrour. Can't remember the actual temperature but there was a lot of ice on Loch Ossian, probably -5 or so.

If you're stuck there, the station would do as a makeshift bothy. No fireplace but the ridiculously oversized Caledonian Sleeper info point is surprisingly warm (and there's WiFi!). Block up the door and you've got a nice place to spend the night.

Jonny

Established Member
One issue is windchill, some large stations act as wind tunnels, depending on the angle that the wind hits the trainshed. Newcastle can be baltic one day and then warmer on the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.