• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coleshill Parkway - Maidenhead (incl BOJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

muug1982

Hi,

I've got a multi-leg journey to do next week. Would appreciate some validation as the off peak restrictions are quite complicated (to me anyway)

Journey Details
Weds 11th - Coleshill Parkway - London (arrive before 12noon)
Weds 11th - London - Maidenhead (depart after 4pm)
Thurs 12th - Maidenhead - Coleshill Parkway (depart after 2:30pm)

A Coleshill - Maidenhead return is valid for this trip. I'm wondering whether of Off Peak ticket is suitable (restrictions here)

As I understand this:
Outbound
I need to arrive in Euston after 11:29
I can't leave Paddington between 16:40 and 18:01

Return (I'll probably travel through Oxford)
I can't pass through Reading between 17:10 and 18:31

Have I got this right? Have I missed anything?

As such I'll probably purchase the rte Oxford and excess the outbound, can I do this onboard?

Can anyone recommend some relatively cheap accommodation en-route, preferably close to Maidenhead.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I think an Off Peak Return would be suitable; the following trains fit your tinerary:

1) Coleshill Parkway - Euston: 0957 to New St then 1030 to Euston (arr 1154).
2) Paddington - Maidenhead: 1612 or 1627 departures
3) Leaving Maidenhead you have to comply with both Paddington and Reading restrictions; it's those from Reading that will affect you though. Departing after 1430 you could take any train suggested by the National Rail Enquiries journey planner up to and including the 1607 from Maidenhead (arr CEH 1907, 2 changes). It's the departure from Reading which limits you, so you'd be free to take any train to Reading and hang around there if you prefer.

You will have to travel through Oxford on the return unless you purchase additional tickets for your journey to Maidenhead.
disregard that, I'm and idiot.

You can purchase the excess on-board, I would advise getting it done before travelling unless this is inconvenient - this is the one situation where it's perfectly allowable to request the excess along with booking the ticket.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
2) Paddington - Maidenhead: 1612 or 1627 departures

Any train between London Paddington and Maidenhead should be fine.

NSE Easement said:
NETWORK AREA:

The London & South East Network Area is shown in the London Area Fares section E0.

Off-Peak tickets for journeys starting within the Network Area to destinations outside the Network Area with travel via London are valid by any train to London, to connect with trains from London.

You will have to travel through Oxford on the return unless you purchase additional tickets for your journey to Maidenhead.

Sorry. I don't follow this bit.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares

Yes I agree; restriction 2C specifically says the departure restrictions from Paddington only apply to the return portion of the ticket. The OP would be travelling from Paddington to Maidenhead on the outward portion of the ticket, so the evening peak departure restrictions don't apply. The arrival restrictions for Reading do apply, but that is any train from 09:40 onwards so no problem there.

Going back via Oxford would be on the unexcessed original route VIA OXFORD ticket, so 2V would apply (any train from 09:30 onwards).

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor

Sorry. I don't follow this bit.

Sorry, for some reason I thought the ticket was Coleshill Parkway - London ticket with a BoJ at Maidenhead. Which clearly it's not and in any case wouldn't have a Via Oxford fare available.

Indigo2 said:
Going back via Oxford would be on the unexcessed original route VIA OXFORD ticket, so 2V would apply (any train from 09:30 onwards).

Also this. Any train from Paddington to Maidenhead and any train from Maidenhead in the afternoon (so getting the excess is not only cheaper than getting the Via London fare but more flexible!).

Original post amended and blamed on lack of coffee.

Last edited:

muug1982

Slight change of plan...I now need to be in London for 10am on Wednesday. Any suggestions on how to get the cost down? Taking the same approach using anytime fares makes the total £139

Happy to travel from Birmingham International if it helps, although I'll need to add £16 to park the car...(it's free at coleshill)

I can't see any useful advances, and they might not help given the extended BoJ

No railcards.

Revised journey details
Weds 11th - Coleshill Parkway - London (arrive before 10am)
Weds 11th - London - Maidenhead (depart after 4pm)
Thurs 12th - Maidenhead - Coleshill Parkway (depart after 2:30pm)

sonic2009

Established Member
Agreed that wrong info read on BR FARES so not applicable to the OP.

Last edited:

muug1982

Would be happy to travel from Warwick.

However the restrictions on BR Fares seem to be the opposite way round to those on NRE (the DEPARTS are the ARRIVES and vice versa) I can't get a journey planner to offer me that ticket.

muug1982

Central, Warrren Street is nearest tube, I'd probably walk from Euston or marleybone

sonic2009

Established Member
I have an option that includes Megabus to London are you happy for alternative methods of transport?

Also do you hold an Oyster card?

sonic2009

Established Member
Park at Birmingham International £8.00 x 2 days = £16.00

Wednesday 11th

0700 Birmingham Airport - London Victoria Coach Station 0930 via Megabus £5.00 + 50p booking fee
Tube to Warren Street = £2.00 on Oyster
Tube to Paddington = £2.00 on Oyster
London Paddington - Maidenhead Off Peak day single (J9) £10.40

Thursday 12th

Maidenhead - London Paddington Off Peak day single (J9) £10.40
Tube to Victoria = £2.00
1700 London Victoria Coach Station to Birmingham Digbeth Coach Station 1950 via National Express £6.50 + £1.00 booking fee
Birmingham New Street to Birmingham International Super Off Peak single (EF)£2.00

Total : £57.80

Status
Not open for further replies.