• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Collecting from a TVM without a card

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevmonk

I have just used a redspottedhanky voucher on a new account to buy a ticket. As it was less than the £10 value of the voucher it didn't require a card to pay any extra. How do I collect it from a TVM when it asks me to insert the card used for payment to look for the order?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trevmonk

Won't that give the error message 'No orders were found for this card' - or is there still a way to enter the reference number?

TUC

Established Member
No.

It will always let you enter the reference number when you insert any card.

Not in every TVM.. The one in Middlesbrough didn't accept my daughter's card for a ticket I'd purchased on line for her-whiich is a real problem for those of us that live outside Britain.There isn't a TVM locally where I could have collected the ticket for her before she left and there wasn't the time for it to be posted to us. The present arrangements are poorly thought lout for those visiting Bfitain or indeed for anyone who jjst needs to buy a ticket at short noticefor someone else.

Welshman

Established Member
No.

It will always let you enter the reference number when you insert any card.

Sorry - just to clarify:-

Are you saying, then, that if I were to buy a ticket online for my wife, using my credit card, she could collect it from the TVM using her debit card, providing she has the reference number?

That will make life a little simpler in the Welshman household. :)

button_boxer

Established Member
If you pay using a card then you will generally need that specific card to collect. If you pay on RSH entirely with loyalty points (and thus don't enter any payment card) then you will be able to use any card with the booking reference to collect the tickets.

Retailers can convert a "specific card" booking into an "any card" one, typically in cases where you phone them to say the original card has been lost or stolen, but I doubt any of them use this setting by default.

BrianTheLion

I reckon the ticket collection process would be better if you put the reference number in first... then the machine would be able to auto issue the ticket if no card was required, or then ask "please insert card ending XXXX" which would be handy for those that might have forgotten what card they used...

PIDD

There seems to be some confusion as some TVM's or online ticket agents allow you to use any card to collect tickets with a valid reference number. I would assume when you use any card to collect, some card data is recorded & used to identify the person collecting the tickets?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Sorry - just to clarify:-

Are you saying, then, that if I were to buy a ticket online for my wife, using my credit card, she could collect it from the TVM using her debit card, providing she has the reference number?

That will make life a little simpler in the Welshman household. :)

No, you can't do that I'm afraid. In normal circumstances you must use the card used to make the bookings to collect the tickets. As button_boxer points out there are times that the machines are set to 'any card' for specific transactions, for example an order made using just loyalty points or when a company has purchased a ticket for an employee using their account.

island

Veteran Member
Not in every TVM.. The one in Middlesbrough didn't accept my daughter's card for a ticket I'd purchased on line for her-whiich is a real problem for those of us that live outside Britain.There isn't a TVM locally where I could have collected the ticket for her before she left and there wasn't the time for it to be posted to us. The present arrangements are poorly thought lout for those visiting Bfitain or indeed for anyone who jjst needs to buy a ticket at short noticefor someone else.

But did you use loyalty points or pay by card? If you paid by card for any part of the ticket price then that card must be presented to collect the ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Since that Manchester £1m ticket touting scam in 2007 most retailers have enforced the restriction that the card used to book the ticket must be used to collect (no such restriction applies if no card was used!).

However, my experience is that after inserting a card, there is always the opportunity to enter a reference number. That does not necessarily mean that entering the reference number will be successful! But the original post seemed to suggest concern that the opportunity may not be there to enter the number.

Welshman

Established Member
I see, thank-you. That was what I originally thought and I'm afraid I took your original comment out of context.

SussexMan

However, my experience is that after inserting a card, there is always the opportunity to enter a reference number.

Not on the Southern machines. If you have just one ticket booked against that card then it will just dispense the ticket after you insert the card.

People in the queue behind still look confused when they see you touch the screen once and then just slide your card in and straight out again and out come your tickets. Certainly speeds things up (although I always have the reference number with me in case but I've never had to use it). I've never seen an opportunity to interrupt the process to try and enter a number - and can't think why you would need to.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
True, that can happen if you already have tickets booked on that card (though you'd simply enter the card again to be able to type a reference number), though I was only aware of this occurring on EC which is now being withdrawn.

Crossover

Established Member
True, that can happen if you already have tickets booked on that card (though you'd simply enter the card again to be able to type a reference number), though I was only aware of this occurring on EC which is now being withdrawn.

I have had the same happen on TPE machines I think, and possibly Virgin ones as well (only with one set of tickets assigned though, otherwise it has asked for it until there is only one left then it sometimes auto dispenses them)

benk1342

I have had the same happen on TPE machines I think, and possibly Virgin ones as well (only with one set of tickets assigned though, otherwise it has asked for it until there is only one left then it sometimes auto dispenses them)

I've had it happen on an FCC machine, and then had it not happen on the same FCC machine.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I believe that FCC have disabled that feature on their FastTicket TVMs :( - I have had to enter the code even with only one set of tickets, the last few times I've had to collect any.

LondonJohn

There seems to be some confusion as some TVM's or online ticket agents allow you to use any card to collect tickets with a valid reference number. I would assume when you use any card to collect, some card data is recorded & used to identify the person collecting the tickets?

I always used to think that you could use any card because I used to ask my manager to book tickerts for me for business travel and I would type in the reference and insert my Nectar Card and the tickets would come out.

I have used RSH and East Coast for different booking but after getting a refund from Southern under their Rainy Day Guarantee scheme I think I will reward them with my bookings in future as they saved me £10.

So for my latest booking I put my card in a Southern TVM and it located the tickets for me without having to enter a reference number.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I always used to think that you could use any card because I used to ask my manager to book tickerts for me for business travel and I would type in the reference and insert my Nectar Card and the tickets would come out.
Those transactions may have a 'flag' set to allow collection by any card, as they were bought from a business account.

Welshman

Established Member

Did the TVM also give you points to spend at Sainsbury's? :D

jon0844

Veteran Member
If my local TVM starts to ask 'Have you swiped your Nectar card?' then I am going to break it, with extreme prejudice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.