• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Collecting pre-ordered ticket, machine freezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

I purchased a ticket from the Virgin Trains website on 18 September, opting to collect it from Southall station.

Went to Southall station on 19 September to collect the ticket from the machine. Typed in the collection reference code and machine brings up a 'Please Wait' sign and then freezes. Speak to the TfL Rail employee on duty in the ticket hall who confirms the machine has frozen. He advises photographing the screen and returning when the ticket office is open.

Yesterday morning I visit the ticket office and explain the situation. TfL Rail employee tries to print ticket but is unable to as the order has been 'fulfilled'. After phoning a colleague somewhere she tells me I should speak to Virgin Trains.

As I was in the area I called in at the Virgin Trains ticket office at Euston. They deny all responsibility, even though it was their website which sold me the ticket, and tell me to speak to TfL Rail to get confirmation the ticket machine froze and pass that to customer service. They attempt to call TfL Rail and Heathrow Express (where this latter company fits in I don't know) but cannot get through.

Return to Southall station and explain the situation. Another TfL Rail employee phones a colleague who says he is appalled by the way that Vigin have treated me. I complete a MTR Crossrail Form SP20 to report the non printing issue. Return this to the booking clerk at Southall station who takes my contact details and promises to contact Virgin Trains to resolve the issue. I have yet to hear anything more.

Any suggestions on how I move forward from here please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
As I was in the area I called in at the Virgin Trains ticket office at Euston. They deny all responsibility, even though it was their website which sold me the ticket, and tell me to speak to TfL Rail to get confirmation the ticket machine froze and pass that to customer service.
Although it's not a satisfactory answer from your perspective, it is correct. Yes, you paid for your ticket on their website but the staff at Euston aren't in any position to confirm what did or did not happen to a ticket machine at another station, which is managed by another TOC.
I complete a MTR Crossrail Form SP20 to report the non printing issue. Return this to the booking clerk at Southall station who takes my contact details and promises to contact Virgin Trains to resolve the issue.
This is what should have happened from the start - TfL Rail run the station and the machines so they need to sort it out (including contacting Virgin on your behalf if required).

ANDREW_D_WEBB

A good result on this one. I sent a lengthy e mail to the customer service teams of both operators and copied in the managing directors of both. Clearly outlined the saga and made it clear I did not wish to listen to each operator blaming the other. Set clear deadlines for acknowledgement of my email and for the situation to be resolved. TfL quickly upgraded the ticket to 1st class and sent it special delivery to my address, accompanied by a 'goodwill gesture' cheque.

hkstudent

Established Member
A good result on this one. I sent a lengthy e mail to the customer service teams of both operators and copied in the managing directors of both. Clearly outlined the saga and made it clear I did not wish to listen to each operator blaming the other. Set clear deadlines for acknowledgement of my email and for the situation to be resolved. TfL quickly upgraded the ticket to 1st class and sent it special delivery to my address, accompanied by a 'goodwill gesture' cheque.
What?!
You are really lucky then. TfL is generally not willing to pay out any "goodwill gesture".
I am still at a fight with TfL for the cost on Heathrow Express caused by Picadilly Line failure.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

What?!
You are really lucky then. TfL is generally not willing to pay out any "goodwill gesture".
I am still at a fight with TfL for the cost on Heathrow Express caused by Picadilly Line failure.

It was MTR Crossrail, as operator of TfL Rail who sorted it out. Whilst the website directed me to TfL's main customer service contacts it was the MD of MTR Crossrail who was cc'd into my e mail and his office who sorted. I'm still waiting for anything from TfL Customer Services beyond the automated response.

packermac

What?!
I would have thought you may have a claim if you used Heathrow Connect (as was) but HeX is not part of TFL (or even GWR until recently) so why would they?

Status
Not open for further replies.