• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Collecting tickets from an unmanned station without a ticket machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I have return tickets from Kirkby Stephen to Settle, these were booked via Trainline, but don't have any way of collecting the tickets from the station as it doesn't have an open ticket office or machine for collection.

Is it against the law to get on the train as Northern can't provide facilities for ticket collection?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I have return tickets from Kirkby Stephen to Settle, these were booked via Trainline, but don't have any way of collecting the tickets from the station as it doesn't have an open ticket office or machine for collection.

Is it against the law to get on the train as Northern can't provide facilities for ticket collection?
Whenever I've bought tickets online for travel from a station without collection facilities, I've been warned that this is the case before proceeding to pay. Were you not warned?

If you are unable to buy a ticket at Kirkby Stephen, then you may of course buy on board. And in the majority of cases you would simply be allowed to collect your ticket, if the guard has the facilities to let you do so. However in theory you could be forced to pay again for a new ticket and to seek a refund on the old ticket.

gnolife

Established Member
Whenever I've bought tickets online for travel from a station without collection facilities, I've been warned that this is the case before proceeding to pay. Were you not warned?
I've just done a dummy run through, and quoting verbatim from it, it says
"Your tickets cannot be collected from Newton-on-Ayr [my choice of a station that I know to not have a ticket machine]. You will be able to collect your ticket(s) from any other 1500 stations listed."

Contrast with a booking for KSW, which states "You can collect your ticket from Kirkby Stephen" or over 1500 stations listed, but you must collect your tickets before you start your journey.

skyhigh

Established Member
And in the majority of cases you would simply be allowed to collect your ticket, if the guard has the facilities to let you do so.
Northern guards are unable to print off ToD purchases unfortunately.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are any TOC guards able to do this? I'd be surprised if they are.
It depends on the TOC and what ticket issuing system they give staff - I believe that Abellio TOCs have that facility.

trainophile

Established Member
Wow I never knew that. So if you turn up for your train with not much time to spare, and there's a big queue for the ticket machine/s, you could board the train and get the guard to print it off?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Wow I never knew that. So if you turn up for your train with not much time to spare, and there's a big queue for the ticket machine/s, you could board the train and get the guard to print it off?
It may be possible but it really wouldn’t be wise to rely on this.

island

Veteran Member

Kirkby Stephen has a ticket machine according to NRE.
That would be an offence under Railway Byelaw 18. What the guard might decide to do about it is a separate matter.

In the general case, if a passenger chooses to buy a ticket fulfilled by TOD and starts their journey from a station not advertised as having TOD issuance, the passenger needs to make arrangements to collect their ticket ahead of time from a station that does have such facility.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If it's a paytrain route, you're OK to do that (of course, the guard may not have the facilities to print your ticket).

On any other route, you would be committing an offence under the stupidly strict Byelaw 18.

island

Veteran Member
If it's a paytrain route, you're OK to do that (of course, the guard may not have the facilities to print your ticket).

On any other route, you would be committing an offence under the stupidly strict Byelaw 18.
There isn’t any such thing as a “paytrain route” any more; if the departure station has a ticket machine then it’s an offence to join a train there without using it, unless one of the exceptions set out in the byelaw applies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There isn’t any such thing as a “paytrain route” any more; if the departure station has a ticket machine then it’s an offence to join a train there without using it, unless one of the exceptions set out in the byelaw applies.
There are certainly still routes (or at least stations) advertised as paytrain, e.g. Greater Anglia says that most of its non-IC, non-NSE stations are pay train stations:

1623045114426.png

This gives the permission required to board without a ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.