• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Collecting tickets from self-service machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I booked a ticket online (with Arriva Trains Wales), I was asked to select a station (which I did) where I would collect the ticket from a self-service machine. But the confirmation that was emailed to me says "Tickets will be available to collect from a self-service ticket machine at one of 900 UK stations 2 hours after booking." Does this mean I can actually get the ticket printed out at any train station in the UK?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
You can collect from any enabled station - websites give you the list to make sure you choose one which is enabled (the only exception is certain Southern tickets which can only be picked up from Southern machines.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I had problems collecting two seperate sets of tickets from my local station. On the first machine the 'print your tickets' button didn't work and then the second machine completely shut down after I tapped in the code. I didn't need them right away and evenutally collected them another day but what would have happened had I needed those tickets for immediate travel ?

(I've a feeling the machines may have a built-in 'spite' programme that messes up tickets from other operators - well it was one of 'that train operator's' machine)

DVD

You can collect from any enabled station - websites give you the list to make sure you choose one which is enabled (the only exception is certain Southern tickets which can only be picked up from Southern machines.

But it's misleading. The clear implication when you book is that the ticket can only be collected from the machine at the station you select, which is not true.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
As stated, any station / location with the necessary facilities (of which there are over 900 of nationwide).

Previously discussed this month, here and here possibly more occurrences as well.

But it's misleading. The clear implication when you book is that the ticket can only be collected from the machine at the station you select, which is not true.
See this post:
However only the stations on the list have TOD facilities so if the station you want is not on that list the ticket cannot be collected there. So it acts as a sort of safeguard to check that the passenger can collect the ticket from a station convenient to them.

Hope this helps.

TP

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

I think you have a very good point here.

This explains why Southern's website now highlights the fact that tickets can be collected from any TOD-enabled station at the next step in the booking process. I am not aware whether any other TOC's website does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.