• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Collision and derailment at Neville Hill Depot (13/11/2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
How long will the Azuma be out ot service for?

Will this incident lead to LNER being short of trains and cancelling services for the time being?

unlikely. They can keep a 91 set in service longer. They have a few Diesel under wires diagrams.

although they seem to have cancellations today because of it. 0700 Hull - London. (Understandable). I guess the London - Lincoln’s that are getting terminated short don’t have 800/2. But not sure why unless they are still blocked in NL from Wednesday.

the Lincoln route is very unreliable so far.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member

Will this incident lead to LNER being short of trains and cancelling services for the time being?

It will be way too early to say. Looking at RTT for this morning there don't appear to be any planned cancellations from Leeds, although that's not to say there won't be. However as a layman's guess I'd say they will probably just hold onto a 91 & MkIV set for a bit longer until the unit can be repaired and released back into service.

Failed Unit

Established Member
It will be way too early to say. Looking at RTT for this morning there don't appear to be any planned cancellations from Leeds, although that's not to say there won't be. However as a layman's guess I'd say they will probably just hold onto a 91 & MkIV set for a bit longer until the unit can be repaired and released back into service.
The Hull diagram is gone.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The 6.38 Shipley to KX was cancelled this morning so I assume it has something to do with this?

Noticed on twitter that no one was injured which is good news.

It possibly hasn't even been assessed yet

Bezza49

Typical, I need 3 x LNER HST's for sight. 43300, 43308 and 43320.

Bang goes my chance of catching 43300. And 43308 was on the other end!

On Moderation

They’ve been in service for 40 years so not exactly hard to get!

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Who knows! It will take as long as it takes.

Always surprises me how photos of these accidents appear quite fast online, particularly when theyv'e been taken in private areas. Don't think I'd share any photos if I had access to the trains.

Agreed!

Could they not bring one of the redundant HST power cars up north to replace 43300 or even better, bring 43002 out from York

Why bother? The first of their own power cars go off lease shortly. Just pay a bit more and hang on to one of those if needed. Which I doubt, sadly, they are

I remain concerned by what appeared (from the poor image) to be crumpling on some of the vehicle ends of the 800. The front might look bad but I'm sure that most of that will be easily repairable by sticking a new nosecone on. But if some of the carriage ends have crumpled that could be more serious.

I am not that concerned about the nose ( it looks sacrificial) but I want a better picture of the damage to the carriages and a proper report on the occurrences before judging.

You have had long enough son!

They’ve been in service for 40 years so not exactly hard to get!

I know. No excuse ;)

Probably will be out of action for a few months, while each case of collision damage repair is unique, judging by previous cases of trains suffering similar damage it’s usually quite a long process before the train returns to service.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Hull service is running according to LNER website.

The same web site had it cancelled this morning along with 1103 London - Leeds. They may have got a set for later in the diagram but it was definitely cancelled this morning. (Still time to cancel this evenings service ;) )

westv

Established Member
The same web site had it cancelled this morning along with 1103 London - Leeds. They may have got a set for later in the diagram but it was definitely cancelled this morning. (Still time to cancel this evenings service ;) )
Are you referring to the 07:00 from Hull? RTT says "This service was cancelled due to the planned train being replaced with a slower train (MS)."
The 17:18 this evening was marked as running when I looked earlier and as there appear to be multiple Northern Rail cancellations you'd like to think this won't change.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
that damage should buff out. if not a bit of filler will see you right ;)

Do we think it will be curtains for the HST power car then?

Swimbar

Are you referring to the 07:00 from Hull? RTT says "This service was cancelled due to the planned train being replaced with a slower train (MS)."
The 17:18 this evening was marked as running when I looked earlier and as there appear to be multiple Northern Rail cancellations you'd like to think this won't change.

LNER Website had it cancelled this morning. I think LNER are better placed to know what they have cancelled than RTT.
Still cancelling multiple KX-LDS journeys later today.

westv

Established Member
LNER Website had it cancelled this morning. I think LNER are better placed to know what they have cancelled than RTT.
Still cancelling multiple KX-LDS journeys later today.
Assuming the "it" you refer to was the 07:00, I never said it wasn't cancelled.

Chris M

Do we think it will be curtains for the HST power car then?
Depending who you believe it's either (a) insanely obvious that it will never return to service, (b) a contractual requirement to return it in operational condition at the end of the lease meaning that there is no question it will be repaired, or (c) way too soon to even begin to speculate on the outcome. Years of railway experience are claimed to back up each viewpoint.

GrimShady

Established Member
15mph? It looks way more than that!

15mph each combined more like!

GrimShady

Established Member
The HST was supposedly stationary - so that'll be more like 0mph!

So it would have been 15mph combined if the 800 was indeed traveling at that speed. Pretty shocking tbh!

daikilo

Established Member
Fibre shatters once the load exceeds its design limit; in this case the 800 derailed which leads me to think it may have been under power ….

Ploughman

Established Member
15mph? It looks way more than that!

15mph each combined more like!

If speed limits were being observed.
If both units were travelling in the same direction then the speed would be less than 15.
If one was stopped and was run into then 15 would be the max.
The only way a speed greater than 15 would be if they were travelling in opposite directions.

SouthStand

Depending who you believe it's either (a) insanely obvious that it will never return to service, (b) a contractual requirement to return it in operational condition at the end of the lease meaning that there is no question it will be repaired, or (c) way too soon to even begin to speculate on the outcome. Years of railway experience are claimed to back up each viewpoint.

:D:D:D

DarloRich

Veteran Member
And now we hand over to our mc for the evening Michael Buffer.....

Ladies and gentlemen! After 12 rounds of heavyweight championship boxing brought to you in association with our sponsors LNER & intercity boxing promotions Ltd we have a result!

The winner by way of split decision and STILL the undisputed east coast heavyweight champion of the wooooorrrrrrlllllldddddd: H.S.Teeeeeeeeeeee!

Well Gary that is a shock and a controversial decision here at ringside. The experts felt that after 40 years time may have caught up with the old stager but it has seen off the oriental challenger in a brusing encounter here at Neville Hill

But you have to ask how much longer this can continue. The azuma cornermen and promoter were incensed by that decsion and the protests will run an run but the bottom line is the veteran once again pulled out a performance when it matterred....

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And now we hand over to our mc for the evening Michael Buffer.....

Ladies and gentlemen! After 12 rounds of heavyweight championship boxing brought to you in association with our sponsors LNER & intercity boxing promotions Ltd we have a result!

The winner by way of split decision and STILL the undisputed east coast heavyweight champion of the wooooorrrrrrlllllldddddd: H.S.Teeeeeeeeeeee!

Well Gary that is a shock and a controversial decision here at ringside. The experts felt that after 40 years time may have caught up with the old stager but it has seen off the oriental challenger in a brusing encounter here at Neville Hill

But you have to ask how much longer this can continue. The azuma cornermen and promoter were incensed by that decsion and the protests will run an run but the bottom line is the veteran once again pulled out a performance when it matterred....
Oh yes Michael. It entered the siding full of confidence, but the new kid on the block ‘Azuma’ clearly has a (fibre)glass chin...

Status
Not open for further replies.