• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cologne rail-related items of interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC 72100

Established Member
Happy Christmas to all!

My next trip is to Cologne/Frankfurt, with a little more time in the former.

Does anyone know of any loco-hauled or other items of interest in the Cologne area? (I understand some RE (but not all) services are hauled).

I'll be on FIP coupons so anything that is DB is good - no need to stick to a specific Lander etc.

Trains isn't the main purpose of the stay, but a little trip out wouldn't go amiss... ;)

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Most interesting things won’t be DB! There are loads of 101s on IC and 146s on REs plus the last 111s in the area work Aachen-Dortmund via Düsseldorf.

There is a lot of vice at the moment - Eurobahns flirts are in big trouble - with four sets out.
Eurobahn Minden-Nienburg 2x110
Eurobahn Düsseldorf-Hamm “145088” really ex SBB Cargo 482xxx
NX Koln-Wuppertal now has two hauled sets, the 110 and now a 111 on deckers too. I’ve not seen the diagrams confirmed for the new TT but it’s in mentioned in here as two sets from January
https://nationalexpress.de/presse/f...ersatzzug-ein-100082?as=ajax&ag=modal&aa=show

The Flixtrain (nee HKX) is worth a look and kicks out private Taurus and, recently, Vectrons.

CC 72100

Established Member
Thanks folks for the responses so far.

Indeed a quick look at the journeyplanner suggests an almost 'turn up and go' frequency on IC services to Dusseldorf.

Early thoughts then is an IC to Dusseldorf for a spin on the 111s (presuming they have the monopoly on those Aachen-Dortmund workings?)

That said, those National Express workings sound interesting, especially the 110 diagram, so if you find out any more on those substitutions if you could send it this way that would be great!

CC 72100

Established Member
Should have added, I've seen a YouTube video of the 110 on NatEx stock - looks suspiciously like 'the Kufstein' set for those who remember that working.

Spoorslag '70

The National Express website has the timetable for the 110 workings (however, from January onwards that might change as the 111 set comes into play at the same time): https://nationalexpress.de/presse/einsatz-ersatzzug-rb-48
Best to check in their press section closer to the relevant date. The Eurobahn workings are till the 6th of January on RE3 and till the 11th on RE78.

111s are the traction for all Aachen-Dortmund via Mönchengladbach-Wuppertal workings (RE4) and a good chunk of RE9s with 143s being the norm on RB27 workings. There are also some 420s on Köln's S12 and on line S68 round Düsseldorf.

Your comment about the coaches is spot on: they are from the Sam company (and possibly the same coaches) that worked the Kufstein trains, some of TRI's (Train Rental International, owner of the stock and the 110 as well as quite a lot of other vintage stock) n-coaches working the RE3 still had the Bavarian maps inside.

Finally, the pretty new 462s on RE11s might be of interest.

Veteran Member
Various trains routed via the Rhine Valley are formed of SBB stock (EC6-9) or ÖBB stock (EC from Salzburg and IIRC a couple of ICs in the IC11x series) but I think always DB locos.

MarcVD

There is a foot & cycle path along the 6 tracks of the bridge over the Rhine river. Cross it and stand for half an hour during peak time, watching the parade of trains pass by...

Otherwise the light rail line from Koln to Bonn (45 km) might also interest you.

Groningen

Established Member
There is in Koeln also a daily train from Duesseldorf to Luxembourg and v.v. via Koblenz and Trier.

superalbs

Established Member
There is in Koeln also a daily train from Duesseldorf to Luxembourg and v.v. via Koblenz and Trier.
Operated in a fantastic CFL 2300 class train. I highly recommend that service, the panoramic windows of Stadler KISS units really make it a pleasure! Sit on the left for the best time.

Here's a photo I took:
1024px-CFL_2304_on_the_IC5106_service_at_Koblenz_Hbf.jpg

CC 72100

Established Member
Thanks for the further replies folks. I can't work out how to use multi-quote, so responses as follows:

@Spoorslag '70 - Great gen; I'll check the NatEx website in the new year, got a fair few weeks for the timetable with the 'new' stock to bed in so by the time I go hopefully both diagrams will be well known - either through gen or officially on the website themselves.

Definite head up to Dusseldorf for an RE4 then.

@MarcVD - path over the bridge sounds ideal, will definitely check out.

@superalbs - no time for Luxemburg this time round, quite a smart looking unit!

Groningen

Established Member
There is so much to see in Koeln, but the best to be would be Koeln Deutz. You get to see trains to almost any direct in Germany and Europe. Hbf and Deutz is only seperated by the river Rhein.

433N

I was looking at Koeln on google maps this afternoon (planning summer hols) and noticed a turntable at the sheds / yards at Koeln Neustadt-Nord .

Is it still in use - there is nothing around it on the satellite image.

Groningen

Established Member
No. It will be next year. Easily said, but so is it quite for 1,5 year!

CC 72100

Established Member
Any ideas when the cable car will open again?

The cable car comes with good reviews from family members who have visited Cologne before, so that coming back into use before my trip would be advantageous!

Status
Not open for further replies.