• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cologne to Leverkusen and Bonn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadget88

I have a day in Cologne soon is it possible to travel to either of these two for some shopping and is the station close by and is it expensive? I’ve been to Cologne once before and worry there is not much to do this time of year as the Zoo would be a cold day out and many of the shops are outdoor?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duesselmartin

Established Member
It is part of the VRS ticket area so bahn.de does not give you all options.
Check out vrs-info.de and look Out for Zone 5 day tickets.
Personally i find Leverkusen not that interesting.
In the way to Bonn there is Brühl with Schloss Augustusburg.
From Bonn a tram runs to Königswinter where a short rack railway operates although the latter ist not for bad weather.
Düsseldorf is good for shopping.
All included in the Zone 5 ticket.

Gadget88

Yes I have done Düsseldorf before very good city. What’s Essen like that’s only 45 mins away? Is it any better than the other two?

Gadget88

It is part of the VRS ticket area so bahn.de does not give you all options.
Check out vrs-info.de and look Out for Zone 5 day tickets.
Personally i find Leverkusen not that interesting.
In the way to Bonn there is Brühl with Schloss Augustusburg.
From Bonn a tram runs to Königswinter where a short rack railway operates although the latter ist not for bad weather.
Düsseldorf is good for shopping.
All included in the Zone 5 ticket.
What’s a VRS ticket? I assume I can just buy a ticket at Cologne station and stamp it and take the train to any of these cities?

Gadget88

I’m visiting Aachen on one of the days aswell if anybody has any tips seems a small city to get around.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Yes, that is the VRS ticket. Not valid for Essen through. For those distances a schöner Tag NRW Ticket might be the thing.
Aachen hast the Charlemagne cathedral and Essen the Zollverein Cokerey. Both UNESCO sites.
Wuppertal could bei considered for its Schwebebahn. Also not bad for shopping.

coppercapped

Established Member
I have a day in Cologne soon is it possible to travel to either of these two for some shopping and is the station close by and is it expensive? I’ve been to Cologne once before and worry there is not much to do this time of year...
The Roman-Germanic Museum is indoors and right beside the Cathedral - and therefore very close to the Hauptbahnhof, It is, frankly, fascinating. Its website is here; click on the EN where it shows DE | EN on the top right hand side of the home page to see the English description.

The name of the town (Köln) has the same root as Lincoln, from the Latin 'colonia' - both being places where retired legionnaires lived.

...as the Zoo would be a cold day out and many of the shops are outdoor?
'Markets' tend to be outdoors, but 'shops' are mostly inside... :lol:

Very close to the Museum and Cathedral, on the road called 'am Hof' is an Italian ice cream parlour called Eiscafé Raffaello. The last time I was there it was also autumn but that doesn't matter - it's also inside!. The ice creams come in glass beakers, either tall or wide, and are very good. Prices €6 to €9 each (or thereabouts). Not for everyday - but for a day out...!

Or go for a boat trip on the Rhine, the Køln-Düsseldorfer company runs short cruises until 27 October for around €11, six times a day. Details here. You can sit inside with a beer... !

The Aachener Dom, the cathedral, is amazing (as is also the Kölner cathedral in a very different style) - if you like that sort of thing! The cathedral Treasury at Aachen is also well worth a visit - but the last time I tried to get in it was closed for maintenance. Cathedral Wiki article here and Treasury article here. For good value food and drink try the Aachener Brauhaus in the Kapuzinergraben - informal and friendly.

Last edited:

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I’m visiting Aachen on one of the days aswell if anybody has any tips seems a small city to get around.
Yes, small enough to walk around - I was there only a month ago. Cathedral including the Schatzkammer (treasury) is meant to be good, although I didn't visit that. There's a park on the opposite side of the centre to the station, and a huge railway model shop near the Rathaus/town hall. What sort of thing were you looking for?

MarcVD

Model shop in Aachen : that's got to be Hünerbein, www.huenerbein.de, fantastic. I havve been there for the first time about 45 years ago. Place I saw a model of the swiss Krokodil for the first time, it was the most expensive piece of the Marklin catalog at that time... If you go to Aachen, don't miss that place. It's like being a kid in a candy store.

Gadget88

So anymore thoughts on Leverkusen anything to see other than the football stadium?

Spoorslag '70

So anymore thoughts on Leverkusen anything to see other than the football stadium?
Not really. Leverkusen is rather dull and most of it's size is due to the various chemical factories, which might or might not be worth seeing (but most can only be seen from outside). I wouldn't think the stadium is impressive, but if that fills your boat...

Status
Not open for further replies.