• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Colonel Gaddafi

Status
Not open for further replies.

ole man

Was Col Gaddafi Murdered, to me it looks like he was, the NTC says he was killed in a battle with his supporters and died from crossfire.
I think he was murdered and the NTC should just say so, listening to sky news it sounds as if the British public are shocked by his treatment

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic1989

Established Member
I'm on the fence on this one. I think to be honest he should have had a trial, it would never have been a fair one, it would be like Saddam Hussien, execution would have been a forgone conclusion. Though I can see things from the Rebels / Freedom Fighters point of view that if you had been opressed by your leader for a few decades deined free and fair elections and every time someone protests against the government thier family is killed, i can see why they wanted him dead. It was a kind of mob justice, I don't agree either way (gadaffis treatment of the Lybian people or the Rebels treatment of him) they are both as bad as each other. But whats done is done.

SS4

Established Member
I don't think it's fair to say either way given the shameless propaganda we've been fed since February.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Was Col Gaddafi Murdered, to me it looks like he was, the NTC says he was killed in a battle with his supporters and died from crossfire.
I think he was murdered and the NTC should just say so, listening to sky news it sounds as if the British public are shocked by his treatment

if so, the british public [or more likely, the British media] are displaying their usual hypocrisy, given how they were exulting over the assassination of the Terrorist Mastermind O bin L in a very similar fashion.

if he was executed, then he is of course following in a tradition established by another dictator who ruled Libya once, one Benito Mussolini.

Last edited:

ole man

Do's it matter if he was executed? you can't expect anything else from the libyan's

SS4

Established Member
Do's it matter if he was executed? you can't expect anything else from the libyan's

The use of words say a lot of things. Using the word executed over assassinated implies a downgrade in a person's importance. It is not up to us to decide whether or not his killing was right and it seems very hypocritical for us to demand a post mortem when we basically told everyone to **** off regarding Bin Laden.

exile

Established Member
He may have been murdered but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, any more than anyone did over the murder of Mussolini.

Hydro

Established Member
Who really cares? He met a gruesome end at the hands of some very angry people, like a lot of dictators over the years. It's what happens in revolutions and coups.

Does anyone think the likes of the angry crowd who fished him out of that pipe gives a toss what a load of suits a thousand miles away think? Apparently it's not cricket to see him executed on the spot by the rebels but that's generally what happens in these situations.

Whistler40145

Established Member
It's good in one way he's gone, but for relatives of the Lockerbie Disaster etc, the questions they are wanting answered may never happen.

Harlesden

Responsibility for the Nigerian Civil War (1967-70) lay entirely with Britain.
Centuries of African tradition and culture were cast aside as unimportant and insignificant by the colonial government. Tribal boundaries that had been in place for hundreds of years to keep warring tribes apart were totally ignored as Britain drew and redrew borders within Africa to suit itself.
The once proud nation of Yorubaland did not figure in any way in the colonial government's plans for West Africa. There was an appalling lack of respect on the part of the British for long-established African traditions and cultures.
The Yoruba tribe and the Igbo (Ibo) tribes had successfully kept to their own respective lands for centuries. Then one day, along comes the British invader changing the borders to suit himself, and the Yorbua and Ibo suddenly find themselves forced to share one country - Nigeria.
Civil War between the two tribes was inevitable.
Nigeria is not the only example of British arrogance and stupidity in Africa, but is the best known due to the civil war that lasted three years and caused so much suffering.

kylemore

If the BBC wants me to believe he was a "Baddie" then its safe to assume he was a "Goodie"!

Status
Not open for further replies.