• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Combination of Tickets on Caledonian Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm off to Scotland in a couple of weeks time for a few days.

I'll be travelling back south on the sleeper from Fort William to Euston. Can someone confirm whether a combination of a 4 in 8 Freedon of Scotland Travelpass combined with the return portion of a Euston-Carlisle off-peak return is valid on the sleeper.

I can't see any reason why it isn't valid, although the National Rail website doesn't state that the travelpass is valid on Caledonian Sleeper services but it doesn't seem as though the list of train operators has been updated since the franchise changed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm off to Scotland in a couple of weeks time for a few days.

I'll be travelling back south on the sleeper from Fort William to Euston. Can someone confirm whether a combination of a 4 in 8 Freedon of Scotland Travelpass combined with the return portion of a Euston-Carlisle off-peak return is valid on the sleeper.
That's valid. You can have one season and any number of non-Seasons providing the tickets together cover all the journey. In this case, they clearly do as they combine at Carlisle. This is covered by NRCoC Condition 19(c).
I can't see any reason why it isn't valid, although the National Rail website doesn't state that the travelpass is valid on Caledonian Sleeper services but it doesn't seem as though the list of train operators has been updated since the franchise changed.
While it is true that the validity of a ticket may prohibit travel in the trains of a particular Train Company or Train Companies, any such restriction or prohibition will be shown on the ticket. In this case, there is no such prohibition. This is covered by NRCoC Condition 10.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks yorkie. That's my understanding too.

I doubt there'll be any issues and I'm sure I'll be able to have a robust conversation should the need arise!

CallySleeper

Established Member
As an aside from NRCoC, a couple of points:

- I'd confirm with Serco re: whether this pass is now accepted by them and/or if an additional ticket/supplement is required

- Hopefully you're able to find a clerk who will provide you with one reservation for the whole journey. You may have difficulty acquiring the necessary reservation for Carlisle - Euston split since Carlisle is not an advertised stop.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've already got the berth supplement for the through journey but I need to decide what tickets I'll be using.

I still need to firm up my travel plans over the days I'm in Scotland so the travelpass is just one option (although a rather expensive one tbh).

Another alternative is the return portion of a Euston-Kyle of Lochalsh Off Peak Return but this would rely on the local Scottish Easement to travel from Mallaig to Fort William and thence onward via the sleeper which could also prove problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.