• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Combining paper season ticket and Oyster, only a few times

Status
Not open for further replies.

frediculous

Hello all.

I have a paper monthly season ticket between Rainham (Kent) and Denmark Hill (avoiding London). In May, I will need to travel to Westminster (Victoria, then tube) in the peaks (on two non consecutive days).

What's the best way of doing this? Can I get out (sigh) at DMK and touch in, thus only paying a Z1-2 fare? Or would it be better to do this at Bromley South (Z1-6? fare), giving me more options to Vic now I have just got off a train going where I want!

Work are paying for the extra, but I'd like to get the most sensible option. Any help, much appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
If work are paying, the simplest solution would be to buy a paper travelcard then you don't have to get off the train. More expensive*, but if its not your dime it shouldnt matter too much.

(*more expensive than Z1-2 day cap)

CatfordCat

I'd agree with not doing Oyster for this and getting a paper Denmark Hill - Underground Zone 1 return ticket for the times / days you want to do it.

Also, work may be more comfortable with a paper ticket for the 'extra' journey as the receipt with your expenses claim than an Oyster journey history.

My understanding is that if you have a paper season ticket to Denmark Hill, and have already got a paper ticket for Denmark Hill to Underground Zone 1, then you would not need to get off the train or touch in /out. (you may even be OK getting a train that goes through Denmark Hill without stopping, but I'll let someone more expert than me comment on that)

If you need to buy ticket then claim back, rather than use a Trainline account or similar, then a National Rail ticket office should be able to sell you this paper ticket either on the morning of the day you want it, or (to save faffing about in the morning) the evening before - or even further in advance. (Make sure you tell them it's for peak time the next or whatever day though!)

I'm in SW Railway land, the ticket vending machines at station A will sell you a ticket from B to C and / or a ticket that's valid on a future date. I don't know if the machines in SE Trains land (or whoever manages Denmark Hill Station) can do this.

Having said that, depending on where in Westminster you want to go, it may be just as quick to walk from Victoria than fight your way down the district line then go a couple of stops then surface at Westminster then walk to your destination (many years ago I worked somewhere between St James Park and Westminster and generally did that)

frediculous

Thank you all for the advice. I will go for a paper Denmark Hill - Z1 ticket on the two days. Many thanks

Nick66

Having said that, depending on where in Westminster you want to go, it may be just as quick to walk from Victoria than fight your way down the district line then go a couple of stops then surface at Westminster then walk to your destination

I’ll second that. Quite a pleasant walk on a nice day as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.