• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic “Things you like” (i.e things that please you in a lighthearted way)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
Getting our post delivered before 6pm, happens about once a month.
It really is a disgusting service.
Are you sure it's not the next day's delivery coming early ! My milkman delivers at 23.30 the day before it's due.

Meerkat

Established Member
Getting stuck for ages behind the old person doing 40 on the open road, then they carry on doing 40 into a 30 and get pulled over by a police speed trap/flashed by a speed camera.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Getting stuck for ages with some impatient lemon tailgating behind you whilst you're legitimately doing 30 on a busy 30 mph single carriageway road, they then roar past you at 40 mph and get pulled over by a police speed trap/flashed by a speed camera. ;)

gg1

Established Member
The owners of one of the neighbouring properties own two cars with a drive big enough for one car, for reasons best known to themselves they never use their drive and insist on parking both cars on the road.

A few days ago they were knocking on doors asking if anyone had seen or heard anything as one of the cars had acquired a cracked bumper and a nice dent in the wing whilst parked on the road. This amused me greatly :lol:

Getting stuck for ages behind the old person doing 40 on the open road, then they carry on doing 40 into a 30 and get pulled over by a police speed trap/flashed by a speed camera.
Is the age of the person relevant to your pleasure in this?

Meerkat

Established Member
Is the age of the person relevant to your pleasure in this?
It is almost always old people. There is a strange subset (small but noticeable) of old folk who only seem to be able to drive at 40, whether the limit is 60, 50, or 30.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I hate everything else about the cold weather and winter but breathing in a lung full of cold crisp air is magic.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
It is almost always old people. There is a strange subset (small but noticeable) of old folk who only seem to be able to drive at 40, whether the limit is 60, 50, or 30.

I think some older drivers are certainly more careful. Maybe it's because mental processing slows down so you don't feel so able to drive at 60 or 70, say.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I think some older drivers are certainly more careful. Maybe it's because mental processing slows down so you don't feel so able to drive at 60 or 70, say.
I'm 73 and I drive my age in mph on occasion, like this afternoon. :) Just received my new, pointless driving licence applied for at Easter 2021!

Meerkat

Established Member
If that was the reason you would think they wouldn't carry on doing 40 in a 30 zone. That's what makes me smile, in a perplexed way.
Something else that makes me smile is the big bunching up behind the National Highways patrol cars on the motorway because people think they are police cars!

If that was the reason you would think they wouldn't carry on doing 40 in a 30 zone. That's what makes me smile, in a perplexed way.
Something else that makes me smile is the big bunching up behind the National Highways patrol cars on the motorway because people think they are police cars!
But how do you know that the person in front of you continuing drive at 40 in a 30 zone is an old person? Presumably you, being a young person, will have dropped down to 30, whilst the vehicle ahead will be streaking away from you at 40. It's difficult enough to determine the age or gender of the driver of a vehicle from behind in normal circumstances, even more so when the car in front is speeding away from you.

Meerkat

Established Member
But how do you know that the person in front of you continuing drive at 40 in a 30 zone is an old person? Presumably you, being a young person, will have dropped down to 30, whilst the vehicle ahead will be streaking away from you at 40. It's difficult enough to determine the age or gender of the driver of a vehicle from behind in normal circumstances, even more so when the car in front is speeding away from you.
Because I have been following them doing 40 in a higher speed limit. Of course I dropped down to 30….because I saw the speed camera and the copper in high viz holding a speed gun (which the old lady didn’t see until he started waving at her! :lol:

D821

Putting on an old, worn, but well loved piece of clothing. I have a selection old t-shirts and hoodies that are past their best but are still fine for lazing round the house or walking the dogs.
I have a 30+ year old pair of walking boots that still get an occasional outing when I'm gardening, though they are close to crumbling into dust.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Putting on an old, worn, but well loved piece of clothing. I have a selection old t-shirts and hoodies that are past their best but are still fine for lazing round the house or walking the dogs.
I have a 30+ year old pair of walking boots that still get an occasional outing when I'm gardening, though they are close to crumbling into dust.
I'll second this! I have a couple of really old jumpers that have been pulled in places and aren't fit to be seen out in, but I'll happily put one on when it gets a bit chilly.

I hang onto certain things and justify it by reclassifying them as "old clothes for decorating". I suppose I'd better get the paintbrushes out soon. :)

D821

Ha, yes, I use the 'clothes for decorating' one, too. It does mean I have to be actually doing some decorating to justify it, though.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Ha, yes, I use the 'clothes for decorating' one, too. It does mean I have to be actually doing some decorating to justify it, though.
Which is why I chuck them out before that appalling prospect rears its ugly head. :)

dgl

Established Member
Asking my Nephew what his favourite Christmas presant was and it being one that I gave him, and me buying something for my sister for Christmas and not being sure if she would want it (a Fujifilm Instax Mini camera), and when I gave it to her not only did she remark that she had wanted one for a while, she thought that I had got it because she was talking about said item in Currys a couple of weeks previous when I had actually brought it long before that.

Also my Mum wanting a keyboard for Christmas, something that given I already own a few and my mum probably wishes I had less, was something I certinaly didn't mind buying for her.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I just wear my normal clothes when i do decorating, the paint stains make me look like a working man and not a useless fop.

MotCO

Established Member
I'll second this! I have a couple of really old jumpers that have been pulled in places and aren't fit to be seen out in, but I'll happily put one on when it gets a bit chilly.

I hang onto certain things and justify it by reclassifying them as "old clothes for decorating". I suppose I'd better get the paintbrushes out soon. :)

Yes, I use old shirts 'to polish the car'!

D6968

Having to self isolate for the past week or so I’d just like to say I have a lot of time for one Mr Victor Meldrew, I think we have a lot in common.
My missus has a lot of sympathy with his wife.

Delving into family history and discovering that my Great Grandfather worked for the South Eastern Railway and the SE&CR while a Great Great Uncle worked for the London & North Western and the LMS.
It’s so reassuring to know that my passion is ‘in the blood’

Status
Not open for further replies.