• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic “Things you like” (i.e things that please you in a lighthearted way)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A car going past with a dog sticking its head out of the window. Never fails to raise a smile with me.

Yes!

One of the girls has just got a kitten and I’d like to nominate a kitten that’s finding our old dog fascinating and that tries to make itself look really big and tough by standing sideways with its legs stretched and back arched just before it tries to run up the curtains (the cat that is, not the dog).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D821

Yes!

One of the girls has just got a kitten and I’d like to nominate a kitten that’s finding our old dog fascinating and that tries to make itself look really big and tough by standing sideways with its legs stretched and back arched just before it tries to run up the curtains (the cat that is, not the dog).
My neighbour got a kitten that was smitten by their Great Dane, as a result, the cat used to wag its tail like a dog whenever it went towards anyone.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Bit of a strange one for me today, I was thinking about this thread very recently actually and I had something more relatable to post, now it's gone from memory! So, the one I do remember:

Buying a new pair of running tights and finding they fit, having taken the tags off in anticipation.

Probably not many of us on here who've done that mind :lol:

Sticking with the fitness theme:

Achieving a challenge on Strava way before the end date :D

MotCO

Established Member
Buying a new pair of running tights and finding they fit, having taken the tags off in anticipation

This reminds me of having bought some clothes and the metal security tag had not been removed. I couldn't take it back to the shop since it would look suspicious, and it was a devil's own job to remove it!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
This reminds me of having bought some clothes and the metal security tag had not been removed. I couldn't take it back to the shop since it would look suspicious, and it was a devil's own job to remove it!
No receipt? ;)

birchesgreen

Established Member
Yes happened to my wife some years ago, i had so much trouble getting the tag off and not without a few little tears... of the top she bought for a job interview...

But she still got the job, despite the tears!

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Ooh that's a frustrating situation! I'd have been back in there with my receipt and getting it sorted. Assuming of course that I wasn't already a long way from the shop.

For the record, I meant tags as in the price labels on clothing.

Talking of clothing, an item for the list:

Finding that Primark's wide margin of error on sizing occasionally works in your favour!

Had this happen to me the other week, when I needed to buy a new t-shirt due to somehow not packing enough on my last holiday. The one I bought was size XS, but much to my surprise it actually fitted well! Pretty sure it was made a little bigger than it should be, but I've never ever been able to fit into any clothing marked XS (Xtra Small) before :D

Sadly it usually works the other way, where the advertised size is smaller than the same size is in a different shop. Had that happen to me in Primark with trousers recently, although in their defence my waist fits bang into the middle of 30 and 32 inches. So it is very difficult to get trousers that fit! Yet the 32" jeans, they're really baggy and I often have to keep pulling them up!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'd bought some clothes in a sale at T.K.Maxx in Plymouth, late night shopping just prior to closing time. Went off to station for train to Penzance. When I got home realised security tags had been left on all three items, and I wasn't prepared to risk ruining them, so had to cart them all back to the shop the next time I was in Plymouth, with the receipt, and get them removed. No apology from the shop nor an explanation as to why no security alarm (suspect it had been turned off for the night so staff could scarper on time regardless of shoplifters!)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yes happened to my wife some years ago, i had so much trouble getting the tag off and not without a few little tears... of the top she bought for a job interview...

But she still got the job, despite the tears!
Good old English language: do you mean that she caused damage to the top, or got upset about the situation? :s

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Former, though to be honest when i was writing it i was annoyed about that heteronym.

Your knowledge of English is clearly better than mine, heteronym is not a word I know. That applies to a lot of words I've seen used in recent weeks on the forum to be fair.

duncanp

Established Member
Can't help but be amused by the terminally ill guy who had "mooning at a speed camera" on his bucket list of things to do before he died.

How utterly typical of the police to send six officers round to arrest him though. They never seem to be there when you really want them, or when something serious happens.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-59226569

Terminally ill man arrested for 'mooning' at speed camera​

A terminally ill man who bared his behind to a speed camera van says he was "gobsmacked" to be arrested at home.

Darrell Meekcom, who was recently told he has multiple system atrophy, exposed himself at the van in Kidderminster, Worcestershire, on Friday.
He said he was forced to the ground during his arrest later the same day.
West Mercia Police said inquiries were on-going after a 55-year-old man was arrested for public order offences.
Wheelchair user Mr Meekcom, who has heart disease, kidney failure and Parkinson's Disease, said after his diagnosis he came up with a so-called bucket list of things he wanted to do before he died.

He decided to target the speed camera van on Stourbridge Road in his home town after he had been "caught by them a couple of times for silly speeds like 35mph in a 30 zone and it always bugged me".
"I didn't think anything of it," said the father of two, who added: "It was a good laugh."
However, the response took him by surprise.
"I was simply gobsmacked that I got arrested for mooning a speed camera," he said.

He said about six officers arrived at his home a short time later asking to be let in and when he refused, his garden gate was kicked in and the officers got him to the ground to cuff him.
He said his wife filmed the "frightening" incident during which Mr Meekcom told the officers he was terminally ill and would struggle to breathe. He said he also suffered a blow to the head.
"I did not resist arrest once and I felt the response was completely disproportionate in the circumstances," he said.
Mr Meekcom, who felt unwell and went to hospital after his release from custody, said he has reported the incident to the Independent Office for Police Conduct.
West Mercia Police spokesman said officers received a report of indecent exposure on Stourbridge Road at about 13:00 GMT on 5 November and located a person of interest in Coiey Close.
"A 55-year-old man from Kidderminster was arrested on suspicion of public order offences and released on bail."

gg1

Established Member
Can't help but be amused by the terminally ill guy who had "mooning at a speed camera" on his bucket list of things to do before he died.

How utterly typical of the police to send six officers round to arrest him though. They never seem to be there when you really want them, or when something serious happens.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-59226569
The cheek of it.

Maybe the police thought they were the butt of a joke.

duncanp

Established Member
The cheek of it.

Maybe the police thought they were the butt of a joke.

Can't help but think that the police were making an a**e of themselves by overreacting in this way. <D

MotCO

Established Member
Can't help but think that the police were making an a**e of themselves by overreacting in this way. <D
But seriously, did the police think it was 'in the public interest' to react like that, but not to tackle real low-level crime, such as theft.

gg1

Established Member
But seriously, did the police think it was 'in the public interest' to react like that, but not to tackle real low-level crime, such as theft.
I do wonder if there's a lot more more to this story than we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.