• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic “Things you like” (i.e things that please you in a lighthearted way)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C J Snarzell

Established Member
One thing that I find comedic - the numpty driver who overtakes you when you stick to the speed limit, only to end up stuck at the next set of traffic lights (just a few feet ahead of you when you both at a stand still).

CJ

Ostrich

A Full English breakfast.
With extra mushrooms, hash browns and a large mug of coffee ...... :D

<contented sigh>

MotCO

Established Member
A fast train stopping at your station instead of the slow stopper, and taking you non-stop to your destination. (Much easier when it was slam-door stock since the guard had no option but allow you to board!)

I agree about a BMW with working indicators - it comes close to a BMW NOT trying to push in from a side turning.

DelW

Established Member
Wandering idly along the down end of Reading platform 7 waiting for my train to Somerset, and hearing that the next train at platform 8 was a charter.

Then discovering that it was headed by an immaculate Clan Line, and getting some clear shots before all the other photographers arrived.

Attachments

• IMG_1450.JPG
    IMG_1450.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1452.JPG
    IMG_1452.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 32

Peter C

Established Member
Wandering idly along the down end of Reading platform 7 waiting for my train to Somerset, and hearing that the next train at platform 8 was a charter.

Then discovering that it was headed by an immaculate Clan Line, and getting some clear shots before all the other photographers arrived.
Those are lovely photos. I know what you mean in terms of getting to the right place before other photographers show up - I had the same thing with Flying Scotsman a couple of years ago (on the Great Britain XII railtour IIRC, the one where it was delayed by about five years).

-Peter

DelW

Established Member
Those are lovely photos. I know what you mean in terms of getting to the right place before other photographers show up - I had the same thing with Flying Scotsman a couple of years ago (on the Great Britain XII railtour IIRC, the one where it was delayed by about five years).

-Peter
Thank you :) - though I did slightly curse that gantry stay intruding in the first one :(

MotCO

Established Member

That reminds me of when I was holidaying in Lyme Regis. We had a house with an upstairs balcony overlooking the beach. My wife said wouldn't it be fantastic if the Red Arrows did a display right over the beach - the view would have been ideal. Lo and behold, on Wednesday the Red Arrows came and gave a display - apparently they do that every summer for free, but I forget the reasons for this.

Answering at least two questions correctly on Ken Bruce’s ‘Pop Master’ quiz.

scotrail158713

Established Member
In a similar vein, I managed the same whilst watching University Challenge earlier in the week. Granted the topic was the rather obscure East of Scotland Football League. Safe to say none of the students had a clue for any question. :)

py_megapixel

Established Member
A proper autumn day. Fourteen degrees, brittle sunlight and crunchy leaves underfoot.
Hmmm, 14 is a bit chilly for me unless I'm doing exercise. Somewhere around 17-ish is probably more ideal.

Rain when it's warm (more than about 23-24) is wonderful.

Peter C

Established Member
In a similar vein, I managed the same whilst watching University Challenge earlier in the week. Granted the topic was the rather obscure East of Scotland Football League. Safe to say none of the students had a clue for any question. :)
I managed the same when watching that show recently. Admittedly, one of the questions was about railways (the answer being Surbiton station), and the second answer was an educated guess (answer being Lenin IIRC).

-Peter

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I've recently discovered that fiendishly difficult quiz. My best so far is 18. Usually happy to score 3! ;)

Talking quizzes, getting a connection on Only Connect, although I do find the missing vowels round a bit easier.

py_megapixel

Established Member
When people correctly distinguish regular from frequent.

Something can be regular but not frequent (e.g. appearance of Halley's Comet), or frequent but not regular (e.g. creation of threads about reusing the 365s and 442s :D)

A proper autumn day. Fourteen degrees, brittle sunlight and crunchy leaves underfoot.
Ahhh sheer poetry! Add to that dew on spider webs, the scurry of a squirrel up a tree trunk, bonfire smoke and the distant mocking caw of a crow.
When people correctly distinguish regular from frequent.

Something can be regular but not frequent (e.g. appearance of Halley's Comet), or frequent but not regular (e.g. creation of threads about reusing the 365s and 442s :D)
I like regular to mean frequent or keeping regular as in plenty of roughage in your diet. Therefore if anyone asks me if I want a regular coffee or (heaven forbid) regular fries, the whole concept is alien.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I like regular to mean frequent or keeping regular as in plenty of roughage in your diet. Therefore if anyone asks me if I want a regular coffee or (heaven forbid) regular fries, the whole concept is alien.
"Standard" or "Medium" is better in that regard.

Then there's Sainsbury's who ask me every time if I want my bread sliced "medium or thick", which leads me to wonder why "thin" doesn't exist?

Haha exactly the same experience here. 8:30 to Penzance last Saturday?

duncanp

Established Member
Discovering that something I want to buy in M&S Simply Food costs exactly the sum of all the loose change in my wallet, including the 1p, 2p and 5p coins. :D

Quite satisfying feeding all the coins into the self service machine.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
The new Channel 4 Naked attraction bus adverts. Unlike some snowflakes i actually think these are brilliant

317 forever

Established Member
One I felt yesterday was the Notting Hill / Ladbroke Grove area of London without the Notting Hill Carnival. The area was tranquil and not excessively busy, and the buses ran as normal without any diversion or curtailments. What's not to like about the August Bank Holiday free from the Notting Hill Carnival?

Status
Not open for further replies.