• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic “Things you like” (i.e things that please you in a lighthearted way)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The first time you put on a brand new pair of socks

YES! <:D Absolutely LOVE that feeling! I want to buy some new socks right now, just for that feeling! :lol:

Defrosting the freezer. So satisfying!

You know what, I have to agree. It's pleasing to see the freezer returned to its as-bought condition, and you've reminded me that a good defrost is overdue again here. I might well get it done this week...

I'm late to this thread, as I very rarely pop into this part of the forum. Some interesting stuff so far, let's chuck in some of my favourite things that make me smile:

- The first slice of freshly cooked pizza at the end of a tough few days (I'd like to say I had this experience today, but Domino's overcooked my pizza :'( Ruined experience, thoroughly not worth £13.99 and I was still unsatisfied!)

- The first coffee of the day, oh that takes some beating!

- On the same train of thought, the first food of the day!

- Having a personal best beaten on a day when it felt like the performance was not the best (although this can and often does lead to a thought of 'well, yeah it's a good record but it could be much better' which is dangerous!)

- Finishing a challenge early, or at the very least on the day you were planning to, with no over-running of time

- Freshly changed bedding (I have this pleasure tonight and I'm already pleased!)

- The beep on the clocking in/out machine at work at the end of a working week, indicating it is finally done

- Trying a food you're not sure about and discovering you really like it

- Edited to add this as I'm smiling right now at it: Remembering some parts of the past and how much better things are now. My primary example here comes from remembering it's nearly 2 years since I packed in a bad habit, and over a year and a half since I packed in another. Overall things are so much better now I only wish I'd done it years ago!

I think that covers my primary likes right now, no doubt more will get added in time

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thinking about popping into the GCR for a trip on the line as you were in the area and finding this beast on the diesel turn!

B957AE90-14DE-4E66-BA18-948B4EA89D9B.jpeg

(37714 at Leicester North)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Traksy.

Especially being able to keep tabs on your connecting train of youre running late :)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Slightly amusing halfway into the re-run on ITV4 tonight of the 1980 film "Flash Gordon", was an advert for Flash cleaning liquid, the voiceover artiste for which was none other than the shy and retiring actor Brian Blessed, who once appeared as Prince Voltan in... ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Slightly amusing halfway into the re-run on ITV4 tonight of the 1980 film "Flash Gordon", was an advert for Flash cleaning liquid, the voiceover artiste for which was none other than the shy and retiring actor Brian Blessed, who once appeared as Prince Voltan in... ;)

I’m sure I’m not the only one reading that who heard him say “GORDON’S ALIVE!?” in their heads…

Ediswan

Established Member
I wouldn't be too sure. "Sound Alike" voiceover artists are allowed.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Just RealTimeTrains etc generally. Practically indispensable these days.
I don't really use real time trains as much.

I think it's because you don't get the same visual illustration of where everything is that you do on Traksy.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Grabbing the last remaining something or other off the shelf in the supermarket!
Even better, having discovered there are none left, you find one put back a little out of place. I always scour the surrounding area for something I really want.

MotCO

Established Member
Even better, having discovered there are none left, you find one put back a little out of place. I always scour the surrounding area for something I really want.

Or there is a new box on the very top shelf. Being well over 6 foot tall sometimes has its advantages....

xotGD

Established Member
A spell of warm weather in September, just when you thought that summer was over.

This week, basically.

The satisfaction of seeing an item of railwayana sell for rather more than a similar one you bought only a few years ago and yours is in better condition anyway. That’s called investment justification.

Peter C

Established Member
The satisfaction of seeing an item of railwayana sell for rather more than a similar one you bought only a few years ago and yours is in better condition anyway. That’s called investment justification.
This happens with me and model railways a fair bit. People over lockdown selling all sorts of old tat has really helped it become more and more frequent!

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Spending time with someone you weren't expecting to spend time with. (Obviously a nice person!)

-Peter

Spending time with someone you weren't expecting to spend time with. (Obviously a nice person!)

-Peter
Very much like sitting at a table during a wedding reception and you don’t know anyone else on that table. Then the utter relief on discovering that you and the person next to you have much in common and suddenly the rest of the event is a pleasurable experience.

Peter C

Established Member
Very much like sitting at a table during a wedding reception and you don’t know anyone else on that table. Then the utter relief on discovering that you and the person next to you have much in common and suddenly the rest of the event is a pleasurable experience.
Definitely - or just meeting someone new and finding the same thing. :)

-Peter

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Similarly, sitting at a table at a wedding reception or similar amongst people you don’t know, telling a slightly risqué joke, and everyone loving it. Now that’s a comedic thing I like!

Peter C

Established Member
Similarly, sitting at a table at a wedding reception or similar amongst people you don’t know, telling a slightly risqué joke, and everyone loving it. Now that’s a comedic thing I like!
I must admit this is one of those things I tend to do to judge if I'll get on with a group of new people. Doesn't always work but sometimes it does and that is just amazing :D

-Peter

Techniquest

Veteran Member

-Peter

Oh yes indeed, one of the greatest pleasures in the universe :D Happened to me the other week, granted it was barely 2 minutes but it sure brightened up the rest of my shift.

Definitely - or just meeting someone new and finding the same thing. :)

-Peter

Agreed, perhaps not so much on the wedding table thing as I thankfully don't attend such events, but it is certainly nice to find common interests and passions with new people. Especially if they're the sort of people who look like you'd have nothing in common with them.

One of the relatively new colleagues at work is like that, for an 18 year old he's got the grafter attitude which is fantastic, so we get on well just from that. I recently found out he's into sports too, granted it's basketball he loves but we have a common ground in that I love my cycling, so there's the same level of passion if that makes sense. Different sports but the same enthusiasm.

On a related note, something else that makes me smile:

Cycling along a road I'm not familiar with then finding the surface quality is much better than expected :D Similarly, cycling along a much more familiar road and finding it's been resurfaced :D

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Cycling along a road I'm not familiar with then finding the surface quality is much better than expected :D Similarly, cycling along a much more familiar road and finding it's been resurfaced :D

Definitely! As long as it has been done properly, and not just surface dressing with chippings.

The Reverend Wilbert Awdry. Surely one of my greatest influencers when I was 3, 4, 5 years of age and still having a lasting effect on me nearly sixty years later.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

-Peter

Yes, I find the most impromptu/spontaneous meet ups with friends are the most fun. Perhaps the best break from the pre-planned-ness of modern life.

Peter C

Established Member
Yes, I find the most impromptu/spontaneous meet ups with friends are the most fun. Perhaps the best break from the pre-planned-ness of modern life.
Most certainly. Especially when you can have a good laugh too!

-Peter

SteveM70

Established Member

Going for a quick drink with a friend and still being out 9 hours later. Although not always something I like in the cold light of the following day

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Definitely! As long as it has been done properly, and not just surface dressing with chippings.

Agreed. I've had that before, or at least I think so. Properly all tarmac'd and so on, oh yes.

Another thing I like is the weather being far better than originally forecast :D

With the onset of autumn and winter, I recommend the pure joy of RADIATOR PANTS. Quiet simply, when you go to bed on a cold winter night just put the next day’s pants on the radiator. You will sleep soundly, secure in the knowledge that when you wake up the next morning, you’ll get straight into warm cozy underwear and ready to face the day with comfort and confidence. Note: this applies to other under and over garments; socks are the next best.

Acey

Not exactly comedic but the first sight of snow falling in the sodium lit streets and the first sight of Daffodils breaking through the soil and knowing that winter will soon be over !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.