• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

krus_aragon

Established Member
Consider this a "mea culpa" post, I was in fact having a brain-fart and when challenged on it, doubled down instead of questioning myself!

I shall take my place in Room 101 for the next few hours.
On the contrary, when digging around on this subject, I found a series of Kodak DCS300 Digital Cameras from the late 90s that used PCMCIA cards. PCMCIA cards definitely came in capacities as small as 128kB or 256kB, but they'd have dated from the early 90s. They wouldn't have been very useful in a 105 megapixel camera, though.

Solid state PCMCIA was faster than a floppy disk (like modern hard drives), so there could be an argument for needing their faster throughput. Unfortunately it's more relevant for cameras which make large files, which in turn means you're likely to want a larger storage device.

Either way, you sent me down an enjoyable rabbit hole, so thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Has, of course, happened a few times before, but not since 1978. o_O
I saw them do it in 1970, at the Oval. Thought at the time, probably never see it again, but I'd like it to happen sometime again in my lifetime, and I'm 75 next year (too late for this year already!)

Runningaround

I'm a Kent supporter in exile in Cornwall. I have little interest in football, and detest rugby, but I've never known anyone throw into a conversation with me how Kent have done, but some feel impelled to tell me 'United won, but Chelsea lost' or 'Wales slaughtered France in Cardiff' when, frankly. it's as much as I can do to grunt in reply. I wouldn't dream of telling them Kent had just won the County Championship, in the unlikely event of that happening. :)
Depends on the nationality I find, all Welshmen will have interest in their sides sports teams regardless of the sport(Cricket doesn't count for me as Wales don't compete individually) But there are many Englishmen who'd like their teams to lose just to remove it off the news, or primetime main TV channels. Even the fans at the grounds love nothing better than to slag off the England players.

You can strike up a casual conversation on almost anything, but mention football and you get the ''I hate Football'' reaction. Like a badge of honour. If they remark on Love Island do I tell them with a snide look and say ''I hate your interests''.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
On the contrary, when digging around on this subject, I found a series of Kodak DCS300 Digital Cameras from the late 90s that used PCMCIA cards. PCMCIA cards definitely came in capacities as small as 128kB or 256kB, but they'd have dated from the early 90s. They wouldn't have been very useful in a 105 megapixel camera, though.

Solid state PCMCIA was faster than a floppy disk (like modern hard drives), so there could be an argument for needing their faster throughput. Unfortunately it's more relevant for cameras which make large files, which in turn means you're likely to want a larger storage device.

Either way, you sent me down an enjoyable rabbit hole, so thank you.
The cards I was thinking of were CompactFlash, which were like SD cards but larger. These were used in many early digital cameras and other storage devices. I thought PCMCIA was the chunky slot that laptops used to have, for which the most common use around the turn of the millennium was WiFi adaptors prior to them becoming small enough to use USB (not that you would want to use something as slow as USB-1 for accessing the internet even back in 2002!).

PeterY

Established Member
Especially frozen bags of peas they don't open unless you run a knife down it anyway and the slider thing is usually open anyway, it wont close after.
I get so fed up with resealable frozen bags, I just now cut the corner off. So much simpler. :D:D

dgl

Established Member
From 1997, Sony had a Mavica FD7 digital camera which stored images on a 1.44Mb floppy disks
We had them at school in the early 2000's, later models that we had could use a memory stick as well but would need a card reader or drivers to upload the photos. Could only store something like 4 photos on a FD at it's highest quality setting.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I get so fed up with resealable frozen bags, I just now cut the corner off. So much simpler. :D:D
On food packaging, can we ban items where you're told to remove the plastic film before putting in the oven, but despite the film having a handy corner to pull from, it proceeds to tear into about six thousand narrow strips instead of coming off cleanly in one piece. <(

Strat-tastic

Established Member
TOCs who describe their passengers as "customers". I don't particularly know why, I know I have no justification for it whatsoever, but it still annoys me, and I still dislike it.
Me too.
Calling a passenger a customer is focussing on the profit potential rather than treating a travelling human with dignity and a lovely journey.
To me, there is a difference.

sor

The cards I was thinking of were CompactFlash, which were like SD cards but larger. These were used in many early digital cameras and other storage devices. I thought PCMCIA was the chunky slot that laptops used to have, for which the most common use around the turn of the millennium was WiFi adaptors prior to them becoming small enough to use USB (not that you would want to use something as slow as USB-1 for accessing the internet even back in 2002!).
are you actually thinking of smartmedia perhaps? CompactFlash is still with us and doesn't look like SD cards at all, whereas smartmedia was more SD shaped and had gold contacts on one side much like SD does.
We had them at school in the early 2000's, later models that we had could use a memory stick as well but would need a card reader or drivers to upload the photos. Could only store something like 4 photos on a FD at it's highest quality setting.
At some point Sony came out with an adapter that allowed memory sticks to be read in a computer floppy drive. They also released floppy cameras that worked with the adapter, so you kind of got the best of both worlds

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
are you actually thinking of smartmedia perhaps? CompactFlash is still with us and doesn't look like SD cards at all, whereas smartmedia was more SD shaped and had gold contacts on one side much like SD does.
I could well be- it's been the best part of 20 years since I worked in electronics retail, and back then there were multiple different storage solutions for digital cameras. I may well be misremembering what they were all called. The ones I'm thinking of are/were quite large, about 4cm x 4cm IIRC.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Yeup, you're remembering correctly. But before being used for wifi adapters etc, PCMCIA cards were originally storage cards and memory expansions. (The acronym stands for PC Memory Card Industry Association.) Smaller memory card formats took over by the 2000s, as you recall. (Compact Flash was effectively pin-compatible with PCMCIA slots, and just needed a passive adapter.)

The ones I'm thinking of are/were quite large, about 4cm x 4cm IIRC.
The easiest distinction between the two types you mentioned is their thickness, along with their connector. CompactFlash cards are about 3mm thick, with connector holes along one edge. SmartMedia cards were only 1mm thick, slightly floppy, and had big contacts on one face that looked a bit like a sim card.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
We haven't had a good and appropriate thread coupling for a while - but this one just now should not go without being recorded!

I say... yes, let's ban mosquitoes in the UK.

Just the insect ones, to be clear. The World War 2 aircraft ones are OK.

1660049511671.png

Purple Train

Established Member
I'd ban shorts. Again, I don't know why I hate them so much (besides my general dislike of most things), but I do. They always irritate me for some strange reason, and I'd rather be caught train-surfing than caught wearing shorts.
For short-sleeved t-shirts, my dislike is not quite as intense, but I am still, nevertheless, very very attached to my nice long-sleeved jumpers, even in this weather!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd ban shorts. Again, I don't know why I hate them so much (besides my general dislike of most things), but I do. They always irritate me for some strange reason, and I'd rather be caught train-surfing than caught wearing shorts.
For short-sleeved t-shirts, my dislike is not quite as intense, but I am still, nevertheless, very very attached to my nice long-sleeved jumpers, even in this weather!

You'd hate me because I wear shorts all the time.

I think there should be a ban on bans on wearing shorts, in fact. Tailored knee length shorts should be allowed even in formal settings.

Purple Train

Established Member
You'd hate me because I wear shorts all the time.

I think there should be a ban on bans on wearing shorts, in fact. Tailored knee length shorts should be allowed even in formal settings.
Ah, well, you see, in my dictatorship, there is an exemption to the law if one is a member of RailUK Forums, so you would be still very much allowed to wear shorts.
It's not particularly that I hate people wearing shorts, I just never touch any myself with a six-foot barge pole.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Best post of the entire thread! Only thing I'd add is 'men in ....' Boys, girls, women can in some instances be excluded from the ban, but, at the risk of being ageist, why would an obviously old woman who wouldn't dream of wearing a skirt or dress much above their knees think it looks ok to don tight shorts? :rolleyes:

Purple Train

Established Member
Best post of the entire thread! Only thing I'd add is 'men in ....' Boys, girls, women can in some instances be excluded from the ban, but, at the risk of being ageist, why would an obviously old woman who wouldn't dream of wearing a skirt or dress much above their knees think it looks ok to don tight shorts? :rolleyes:
It beats me why some people (mostly, from my observations, young women and girls) like to try and wear the shortest shorts they possibly can. Those I have a particular dislike for.
Is it because there's a Guinness World Record for "shortest pair of shorts" or something? Given how popular it seems to be, I'm starting to think there is...

I'm like that!

It is 28 degrees in Exeter and I'm wearing a long-sleeved jacket over a long-sleeved t-shirt and jogging-bottoms.

How will I survive in Cardiff on Friday? :lol:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It beats me why some people (mostly, from my observations, young women and girls) like to try and wear the shortest shorts they possibly can. Those I have a particular dislike for.
Is it because there's a Guinness World Record for "shortest pair of shorts" or something? Given how popular it seems to be, I'm starting to think there is...
More like selfies and social media, I suspect.

Ostrich

Any hot food sold with flaky pastry. Sausage rolls are the worst. An explosion of crumbs all over me jumper before you get anywhere near the meat ....:rolleyes:

gg1

Established Member
I used to feel like that about shorts but saw the light a few years ago. I mainly wear cargo shorts in the summer which apparently are currently about as fashionable as kipper ties.

krus_aragon

Established Member
My shorts only come out when it's absurdly hot: they got an outing during the mid-July heatwave, but that'll probably be it for this year, now. I far prefer wearing a (well-fitted) pair of trousers.

PeterY

Established Member
There's no chance of banning shorts :D:D:D I've been wearing mine, I own quite a few pairs :D since early April and they won't go back into the drawer until late October earliest.

I hate long sleeves on shirts, so they should be banned :D

Gloster

Established Member
As shirts have been mentioned, I will mention something that probably does not affect many. I buy long-sleeved shirts, but always roll the sleeves up to a couple of inches below the shoulder. I find that more comfortable, at least in part because I don’t like the feeling of air whistling around my armpits. I get annoyed by the number of people who seem to make a point of telling me that I really should buy short-sleeved shirts and can’t understand that I am comfortable that way.