• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comeuppance! (Passengers traveling in 1st without valid ticket caught)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahj

Established Member
Much though I am loathe to contradict someone who does the job, my train this morning was formed of 377601 and the first class section (inner end of one driving car) did have guard's facilities at the vestibule contained within the first class area. The guard used it at Coulsdon South, during his extensive and effective clear-out of people in first who had standard tickets. I was depressed by the attitudes of those he removed - a combination of expectation of being moved but taking the chance anyway, and annoyance at being moved as if it was their right to be there!

This guard was also conscientious in his duties as he reported (by 'phone) a defective door (yet another one) between the standard and first sections.

I've not done many 377/6's, and have had no official training, just been told they are no different from normal 377's, so off you go. If you work from whats called the intermediate cab (doing 10 bell dispatch), you do get a chance to sort out the first class areas next to you. I've seen the odd one or two come in, see me standing a few feet away and change their minds. On busy trains you might not get very far, but you do get to check first class.

Many you ask to leave go 'but there are no seats....try the next coaches, lots of seats. You also get the odd 'little old lady' who is a bit 'confused'.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
I've not done many 377/6's, and have had no official training, just been told they are no different from normal 377's, so off you go. If you work from whats called the intermediate cab (doing 10 bell dispatch), you do get a chance to sort out the first class areas next to you. I've seen the odd one or two come in, see me standing a few feet away and change their minds. On busy trains you might not get very far, but you do get to check first class.

Many you ask to leave go 'but there are no seats....try the next coaches, lots of seats. You also get the odd 'little old lady' who is a bit 'confused'.

Thanks Sarah - I am amazed that you have had no specific training on the 377/6s/377/7s as they are very different to the four car sub-classes (unless, of course, you are never rostered to take them):

They have five cars, the first class is in different positions (even differing within the sub-classes!), the guards' operating positions are different and there are numerous other differences in both passenger-facing and 'behind the scenes' elements.

I can't believe that people still bleat that "there are no seats" these days - as if that makes it OK! One guy who was 'done' by RPIs the other day in 'my' first class claimed that there wouldn't be time to issue it before he got off at Clapham Junction (we were leaving Victoria), but the two RPIs made very short work of the penalty fare issue and proved him wrong, even though he claimed to have no money, blah, blah!

Last edited:

sarahj

Established Member
Thanks Sarah - I am amazed that you have had no specific training on the 377/6s/377/7s as they are very different to the four car sub-classes (unless, of course, you are never rostered to take them):

They have five cars, the first class is in different positions (even differing within the sub-classes!), the guards' operating positions are different and there are numerous other differences in both passenger-facing and 'behind the scenes' elements.

I can't believe that people still bleat that "there are no seats" these days - as if that makes it OK! One guy who was 'done' by RPIs the other day in 'my' first class claimed that there wouldn't be time to issue it before he got off at Clapham Junction (we were leaving Victoria), but the two RPIs made very short work of the penalty fare issue and proved him wrong, even though he claimed to have no money, blah, blah!

Yup, as as we 'sign' 377/6 and have worked them, then its no difference to working 378's, so we now sign them. We did get a leaflet. All we wanted was just a guided walk-through to be shown the difference, but alas.

You might notice a slight reduction in checks at the mo. We have all been told we are being made redundant.

talltim

Established Member
I hope they realise that being engrossed in a phone is no excuse for sitting in First "by accident" :roll: .
And that people being engrossed in their phones doesn't mean that they may not also have a first class ticket

antharro

If it just Southern that have this problem in the main of customers holding standard classs tickets sitting in first class. You do not hear about it as much on other TOCs.

Happens on SWT services too. I commute weekly on the Weymouth line and see this a lot, especially north of Winchester. It doesn't help that ticket checking has become rarer recently so more people are getting away with it.

Deepgreen

Established Member
And that people being engrossed in their phones doesn't mean that they may not also have a first class ticket

Of course not, but when those same people take a fleeting moment to look up from their phones, focus on their surroundings and then flee to the standard class, you get a fair idea! Unfortunately for them, some fail to look at their surroundings until it is too late.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yup, as as we 'sign' 377/6 and have worked them, then its no difference to working 378's, so we now sign them. We did get a leaflet. All we wanted was just a guided walk-through to be shown the difference, but alas.

You might notice a slight reduction in checks at the mo. We have all been told we are being made redundant.

Did you mean 378s or 387s? I only ask as the LO units don't immediately seem relevant to Southern.

Last edited:

sarahj

Established Member
Of course not, but when those same people take a fleeting moment to look up from their phones, focus on their surroundings and then flee to the standard class, you get a fair idea! Unfortunately for them, some fail to look at their surroundings until it is too late.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Did you mean 378s or 387s? I only ask as the LO units don't immediately seem relevant to Southern.

ooops, 387's :oops:

[.n]

Happens on SWT services too. I commute weekly on the Weymouth line and see this a lot, especially north of Winchester. It doesn't help that ticket checking has become rarer recently so more people are getting away with it.

I commute daily on this route and the amount of Winchester fare dodgers is amazing - they always when challenged pull the how much is the upgrade, then are shocked when its not £5 (the old weekend upgrade price) and as we are inevitably about to reach Winchester get out of paying (I in no way blame guards for this as the amount tof abuse I have seen them get is unbelievable). Of course I end seeing the same people trying it on again and again (they are as far as I can tell standard season ticket holders).

And yes, I have mentioned it loads of times to RPIs, managers, etc. Never seen anything done - yet the amount of time and resources I see wasted on a regular basis when they blcade a particular station to catch a few college kids ( who have forgotten passes,etc) is amazing.

trainophile

Established Member

Bloody hell :( really sorry to hear that..

Me too, that's a rotten shame. Hope you can find another job very soon. (There were three trainee ATW guards on my train yesterday, so obviously some operators are recruiting despite the worries about guard-free trains.)

Status
Not open for further replies.