• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Commemorative Coins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Simple question, why are all commemorative coins that are issued in the UK only valid on off-shore islands such as Alderney,Ascention Island and on Gibraltar?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Presumably because the firms issuing them / marketing them to collectors are based here in the UK. Invariably the information that the coins that they are selling are only legal tender on some random offshore island is buried away deep in the small print. :rolleyes:

Essan

Because they are basically scams to con the gullible. Especially those issued by Gibraltar, Guernsey or Tristan da Cunha ..... They're really not worth anything. Since you can't spend them.

And even proper UK commemorative coins, issued by the Royal Mint, are intended only as "souvenirs".

This is well worth reading:

...although the silver UK coins we produce in denominations of £5, £20, £50 and £100 are approved as legal tender, they have been designed as limited edition collectables or gifts and will not be entering general circulation. As such, UK shops and banks are unlikely to accept them.'

~ ~ ~

While it is legal tender, this does not mean that it can be put in your wallet, taken into a shop and used to pay for anything, and banks will not take them over the counter.

Presumably because the firms issuing them / marketing them to collectors are based here in the UK. Invariably the information that the coins that they are selling are only legal tender on some random offshore island is buried away deep in the small print. :rolleyes:

Most serious coin collectors are not interested in them anyway - they only collect coins that were intended for general circulation.

Last edited:

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I remember obtaining £5 coins from the post office sometime in the mid 80s. These I used to buy Rail Enthusiast mags from the newsagents next door as I wanted to impress the girl who worked there. Sort of shot myself in the foot there really. I don't think these were commemorative though.
My parents bought me the Queens jubilee coin as a potential investment for when I was older. I gather they're not worth a lot either.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I remember obtaining £5 coins from the post office sometime in the mid 80s. These I used to buy Rail Enthusiast mags from the newsagents next door as I wanted to impress the girl who worked there. Sort of shot myself in the foot there really. I don't think these were commemorative though.
My parents bought me the Queens jubilee coin as a potential investment for when I was older. I gather they're not worth a lot either.

I seem to remember having a £5 coin in my possession many years ago, which was issued to mark the Queen's golden jubilee in 2002.

I have a feeling they may issue some commemorative coins for her Majesty's 70th anniversary next year.

Given this is probably the last time a UK, if not a world Monarch, will reach 70 years on the throne, I suspect any memorabilia will become quite valuable in the future.

CJ

Bevan Price

Established Member
Coins are most likely to become valuable when only a few are minted.

So if you every find one of the King Edward VIII "proof sample coins" that "escaped", you can probably take a long holiday from work. (Especially the brass 12-sided 3d pieces.)

calopez

In 1977 I got a tube of Silver Jubilee crowns - which were legal tender - and dished them out in change from the booking office.

Status
Not open for further replies.