• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Commercial guard assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyguy

Hi all,

Doing a commercial guard assessment for SWR on Tuesday any body know how the day goes.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MiNi

Are you going to Southampton for it. What depot have you applied for.
Had mine a month ago & started with 12 others. Colour vision test first which was ok & everyone passed. Then into the classroom for 3 tests,maths ,scaat & another(raatt ??). Lunch then while they mark them. Only half the people that started made the afternoon cut. Customer service after lunch (19 questions long). Then listen to a CD from a imaginary train driver that had hit a car on a level crossing. Calling the incident into train control,they allow you to take notes & you hear it twice. Then they call you in separately to tell them what was said basically. Bullet points needed really,not the colour & type of car it hit. Lastly the ticket selling & ticket checking test. Out by 4pm if you are lucky. 6 people left in my group at the end. Good luck.

JaMa9

Assessment day is long but I personally found it quite basic...even the maths, which is something I've always struggled with. As above you have a few tests then if you pass you have a break and on to the next tests. Then after those you will go on to another short break and then ticket test lastly.

Hope all goes well.

Skyguy

Are you going to Southampton for it. What depot have you applied for.
Had mine a month ago & started with 12 others. Colour vision test first which was ok & everyone passed. Then into the classroom for 3 tests,maths ,scaat & another(raatt ??). Lunch then while they mark them. Only half the people that started made the afternoon cut. Customer service after lunch (19 questions long). Then listen to a CD from a imaginary train driver that had hit a car on a level crossing. Calling the incident into train control,they allow you to take notes & you hear it twice. Then they call you in separately to tell them what was said basically. Bullet points needed really,not the colour & type of car it hit. Lastly the ticket selling & ticket checking test. Out by 4pm if you are lucky. 6 people left in my group at the end. Good luck.

yes I am going to Southampton, I applied for Bournemouth.

MiNi

I applied in May.
Good luck on Tuesday,let us know how you get on.In my assessment day there were people for farnham,fratton , Woking & Yeovil. No doubt you will have a mixed bunch aswell.

Last edited:

Skyguy

Hi guys,

assessment went well until I got to the verbal comms bit and messed it up but never mind at least I have a job for now just have to wait 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.