• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Commercial guard SWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraddersOP94

Just passed for commercial guard which is great.

However I was just told you need to be within 45 minutes of the depot. At no point in the application did or does it say this, highly disappointing news.

Anyone able to confirm or deny this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peeler

As someone going through the SWR process myself I can confirm this is their policy. I do understand they don’t put it on their adverts but they do make it clear at a number of stages of the recruitment process. The rational of not putting it out there on the adverts is because people are sometimes willing to re-locate. With the shift times & responsibilities you wouldn’t want a commute longer than this. Trust me!

Stigy

Established Member

However I was just told you need to be within 45 minutes of the depot. At no point in the application did or does it say this, highly disappointing news.

That is generally their policy, however the fact that you’ve got this far in the process suggests that they’re satisfied with where you live?

Srinivasan

Hi I have assessment for commercial guard Salisbury in two weeks time. Any advice please what it’s like and how long does it last?

theironroad

Established Member

I'm surprised there was nothing in the ad...

What depot and how far are you?

Lewis H

I had to relocate when I took a job with SWR, that was agreed by myself with them just after passing assessments

I've applied three times for a Commercial Guard role with SWR, I can never pass the online assessment even though I read each question carefully and give the most appropriate answer provided, don't know why, I can't get feedback either :'(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, well done for getting through btw.

BraddersOP94

[QUOTE="theironroad, post: 3945666, member: ml was nothing in the ad...

Last edited:

BraddersOP94

Hi I have assessment for commercial guard Salisbury in two weeks time. Any advice please what it’s like and how long does it last?

Have a look at the practice tests sent to you on the opc website.

The day is relatively long we started testing at 10:30 and we're finished by 15:30 with 30 mins for lunch.

We did 3 tests, g6the assessor then marked them and sent anyone who failed home.

We then did two further tests and same again if failed sent anyone home.

Last test was ticket checking and selling test but that is just for commercial guard.

All in all was fine and an enjoyable day.

Srinivasan

The day is relatively long we started testing at 10:30 and we're finished by 15:30 with 30 mins for lunch.

We did 3 tests, g6the assessor then marked them and sent anyone who failed home.

Last test was ticket checking and selling test but that is just for commercial guard.

Thank you

theironroad

Established Member
I am going for Bournemouth, I live in yeovil but have family that live there and we are looking to relocate at some point just not so sudden.

I was however told that SWR are looking at opening Yeovil Junction as a depot - so I am half inclined to just wait for that anyway...

I believe that the Yeovil depot is still definitely going ahead, but......... I doubt it will be open to new entrants initially. There will be a number of Salisbury based crew who will apply for a transfer and will get priority . If you can do Salisbury, then that might help as you could back fill the people going to Yeovil. I'm not sure the current recruiting status for Bournemouth but it's fair to say that a LOT of new guards have started at Bournemouth in the past year.

Monty

Established Member
Yeovil will be one of those holy grail depots to get into you, the waiting list on transfers will probably be quite long so don't expect to see external vacancies for it anytime soon.

BraddersOP94

Yeovil will be one of those holy grail depots to get into you, the waiting list on transfers will probably be quite long so don't expect to see external vacancies for it anytime soon.

I already work at junction with NR anyway, recruitment have got it down that my preference is Yeovil as it is, happy to wait then rush in to something.

Srinivasan

What are the tests please? I received two different emails with slightly different test to each other. I am bit confused what are the three tests
The first email it says SCAAT, RAAT, NT2.1,CSS,RVCE.
The second email SCAAT, RAAT, CSS, CSNT

Ally321

Well done for for passing the interview. I am in a similar position - I was told I had passed the interview but am waiting to be invited to a medical and a start date for the training. I have been waiting over 6 weeks - is that usual? They are unable to say when I might start ??

Anyone else have experience of this?? I do however live within 45 minutes of the depot - it did say in the advert you must live within one hour drive

Stigy

Established Member
Well done for for passing the interview. I am in a similar position - I was told I had passed the interview but am waiting to be invited to a medical and a start date for the training. I have been waiting over 6 weeks - is that usual? They are unable to say when I might start ??

Anyone else have experience of this?? I do however live within 45 minutes of the depot - it did say in the advert you must live within one hour drive
Not uncommon at all I’m afraid. It’s the same across the industry in terms of recruitment. You may have already established as much reading this forum.

oppomoppo1

I got my start date last Friday and have my medical booked for this Friday, passed my interview at the start of May.

All the best.

Ally321

Not uncommon at all I’m afraid. It’s the same across the industry in terms of recruitment. You may have already established as much reading this forum.
Thank you - it is so frustrating as they dont tell you in the interview that it may be months before you get a start date.. And if you ring to ask they say you're on a list with no hint of where on the list. Just as well it's a well paid job when you do eventually start..

MDCW

Are calculators allowed to be used in the commercial guards assessments?

MDCW

What are the tests please? I received two different emails with slightly different test to each other. I am bit confused what are the three tests
The first email it says SCAAT, RAAT, NT2.1,CSS,RVCE.
The second email SCAAT, RAAT, CSS, CSNT

Just do them all and you've covered everything. Thats what I've just done. My assessment is tomorrow. Good luck!

MDCW

Have you given up on the train driving now MDCW?
No, I've not given up, but as I only have one attempt left, I thought it's better to apply from within. Also, I've just been made redundant and need a job like yesterday!

Peeler

No, I've not given up, but as I only have one attempt left, I thought it's better to apply from within. Also, I've just been made redundant and need a job like yesterday!

Very best wishes!

Supertrains19

Is the customer service type roles, ie guards, train managers and conductors subject to the 2 strike rule count like with train driving, as I’m led to believe that you can try as many times as you like be it subject to the usual TOC 6 month wait.

John

MDCW

Is the customer service type roles, ie guards, train managers and conductors subject to the 2 strike rule count like with train driving, as I’m led to believe that you can try as many times as you like be it subject to the usual TOC 6 month wait.

John
3 strike rule for guards. Fail once, wait six months, fail twice, wait a year. Fail three times. Game Over.

I now have to wait six months

Chris1978

Are calculators allowed to be used in the commercial guards assessments?

I asked the exact same question as I thought I understand they want you to be able to identify a ticket type and discount card etc and know about stations/routes and so forth but surely just for tallying up the final amount you would always have a device that would calculate it for you? But I guess they just want to know you do the sums manually and have a head for maths.

First time around I passed all the assessments except the final ticket checking and working out tests, I blamed this on fatigue as I'd just come off a run of night shifts and had done a whole day of assessments and by the final one I was physically and mentally exhausted. But after the 6 month period I was able to retake the last assessment and passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.