common age to be a trainee driver?

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by crvhonda, 16 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crvhonda

crvhonda Member

question just the majority, not the extreme case. I knew couple of threads say people kick off their career from their 60s, but don't think that many of them. just getting an idea where about am I as a near 40s man.

2. W230

W230 Established Member

When I went through training there were 8 of us. Ranging between 23 and 50. There really is no typical age.

3. red2005

red2005 Member

one of the guys on our course celebrated his 50th whilst we were at training school!

4. oxoneil

oxoneil Member

Would that be age at application or age at commencement of training? ;)

5. 302PS

302PS Member

As above we have a 24 yr old on our course and a 2 x 50 year olds, the rest hovering around 30

Last edited: 16 Apr 2015
  6. TDK

TDK Established Member

The average age at the depot I work at is about 45, the job is extremely difficult for younger folks with kids and like an avid social life and does not appeal to all. I started when I was 38 and I think this was a perfect age for me, any earlier and I would have struggled.

7. 302PS

302PS Member

Iv got two young children and have always worked these type of shifts, they actually have advantages

8. HSTfan!!!

HSTfan!!! Established Member

I'm 25, probably one of the youngest drivers at my foc, however I know of younger passenger drivers.

9. 30 common

30 common Member

Qué?:p

In all seriousness I started as a Guard at 23 trainee driver at 27 and a hell of a lot younger guards at my TOC most looking to get into a driving role asap.

10. inthearea

inthearea Member

Im the youngest in the course at 23 but there are 2 hovering around the 50 mark

11. class 9

class 9 Member

I passed out for driving when I was 20 & 9 months back in 1993, had 3 months of road learning/reviewing before I was let loose on my own,on my 21st birthday!

12. keith43003

keith43003 Member

I started my training course at 21, just ticked over to 22 a couple of days ago. Will be the youngest driver in my FOC when I pass out (all going to plan, of course!). Ages ranged from myself through to 54 on my course.

13. Juniper Driver

Juniper Driver Established Member

I was secondman for two and a half years/500 turns and started at 22.I had already been on the railway as a cleaner for two and a half years and a guard for one.Late starter at 18 and a half and not even in the grade till 4 years later.I heard of secondmen being 16.Now it's much older which was strange at first but I got used to it.My most favourite moment with a driver was at Salisbury one late night in 2001.I asked the driver if I could do roads with him to Waterloo but he refused.I thought he was funny so I got off (Though looking back a driver does not have to let you in the cab).Looking at the screens the next train was one and a half hours later.Made a rush for the door and he let me in.Then explained to me he hadn't done a year driving so he couldn't let me in the cab.He must have been about sixty.I must say I was shocked.Don't think I have ever seen him again after that.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2015
  14. whoosh

whoosh Member

Near 40s man?

I really wouldn't worry. Your age won't be an issue.

15. kelv

kelv Member

Good.

Cos I'm 47.

Only in 'actual age' though, mentally I'd say between 8 & 47 depending on the joke/subject.
    Physically, I've not got a gut or anything & could pass for half my age :rolleyes:

*Apart from the bald spot, the reading specs & the onset of ear & nostril hair.

most of this post should not be taken seriously

16. crvhonda

crvhonda Member

plus im foreigner, ex~pcv driver in uk. understood train much more complicate and demanding than bus.

17. 302PS

302PS Member

A little yes.........

18. Wolf

Wolf Member

Ages range quite a bit , average age in the messroom at my toc of drivers seems to be 30-50+ but there are drivers older and younger. I was 24 when I started training last year and there was quite an age range on our course. There are some others around my age but we are amongst the youngest. I don't think age is a factor it's more if you have the skills and qualities they want. Ok I suppose you might struggle to get on if your over 60 because drivers start to retire at that age and the company might consider whether they can recover the costs of training you but in your 50s getting on would be no problem.

Last edited: 18 Apr 2015
  19. whoosh

whoosh Member

Being a 'Foreigner' (providing you can legally work in the UK of course) shouldn't be a problem either. As long as you can communicate well in English. There is a Polish trainee driver, and a French trainee driver at my company.

When I was a Trainee Driver the people on the course ranged from 21 to 47, and at the company I work for now, there is a 64 year old who has been a driver for about ten years, so would've been about 54 when a trainee.

20. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream New Member

my group had people ranging from 20-50 with the bulk of people mid 30s to early 40s.

your a good age to learn plenty of working life in you yet:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.