• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Commute to your depot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimJim1694

Would love a move closer to home but southeastern are never recruiting

If you email Southeastern HR once all this is over I reckon you'd walk into a qualified driver job at any metro depot. Might be waiting a bit longer for some of the coastal depots though. They routinely take on qualifieds for HS1 too, because it's so crap most normal drivers won't touch it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DA1

Yes I agree with the above. I haven’t seen them advertise for qualified drivers besides HS1. I know of a driver who left to go to ARL but came back to SE after sending an email to HR.

I’ve been lucky to get a position within a Central London depot but after a few years qualified and hopefully with a clean licence there I’d look to move back out to a suburban depot to reduce my commuting time even if that means taking a pay cut.

Komma

7 minute drive,with 1 set of traffic lights. Shortest commute to work I've ever had.

Stigy

Established Member
I live about 22 miles from my depot and always end up driving to/from as the shifts tend to be very early or very late, meaning the train wouldn’t be possible. If I were to get the train, the finish time realistically would have to be no later than 2100hrs as the trains to my local station go hourly after this time. That, coupled with the fact that I’d have 12 minutes to connect to my homeward train (which is a tight connection when our trains are often late :)) just makes it more hassle than it’s worth.

It’s the polar opposite of my previous place of work, where I usually caught the train in and had a half hourly service home usually, which I made sure I caught. Working where I do now I find I now have to really plan my journey as traffic can be a nightmare too. In my previous role I knew when the traffic would occur (if it was peak, or if there was an accident). Now, I find that the old NTS and defensive thinking is working overtime as some days it could take me 20 minutes on a clear run, whereas other days it could be upwards of an hour. I tend to check the maps on my phone an hour before I leave and keep an eye on them.

jimfrst

26 miles from my depot. Takes 40-50 min drive depending on traffic. Or 30min if I can get a train in and home.

Status
Not open for further replies.