• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Commuter Routes with 7 or more coaches (NOT to/from/via London)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does a train that goes through a whole bunch of commuter stations without stopping count as a commuter train?
If anyone tries to argue that trains which happen to run non-stop Milton Keynes/Leighton Buzzard to Euston, Tonbridge/High Brooms to London Bridge, or St Neots to King's Cross etc are not commuter trains, despite being formed of commuter- style (ie. not InterCity) stock, that's not an argument I would accept.
Other than during disruption, do the 390s run any services that don't involve london?
Glasgow/ Edinburgh to Birmingham perhaps
Yes, but are Pendolinos "commuter trains" and are these "commuter routes"?

Admittedly the distinction can become blurred in places, but if these are commuter routes then almost any route in the UK is!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
If anyone tries to argue that trains which happen to run non-stop Milton Keynes/Leighton Buzzard to Euston, Tonbridge/High Brooms to London Bridge, or St Neots to King's Cross etc are not commuter trains, that's not an argument I would accept.

Yes, but are Pendolinos "commuter trains"?
No but i was answering the question.

aleggatta

They're DEMUs so they don't really count.
I have to disagree with you I'm afraid, they are self propelled carriages in a multiple unit configuration, the transmission type is irrelevant in relation to the question posed in the thread

Clansman

Established Member
I have to disagree with you I'm afraid, they are self propelled carriages in a multiple unit configuration, the transmission type is irrelevant in relation to the question posed in the thread
Fair enough. Hence why I used 'really', as they are a mixed bag of interpretation by many.

td97

Established Member
1S36:
Virgin 9-coach Pendolino to Edinburgh which originates at Birmingham New St picks up commuters between Warrington/Wigan/Preston/Lancaster.
1V50:
XC HST from Edinburgh to Plymouth picks up commuter flows from Berwick/Alnmouth to Newcastle/Durham and Darlington to York, York to Leeds.

TheGrew

I am not sure how 'commuter' you could consider them but I have seen 2x 350/4s doing the Manchester-Scotland run in peak for a total of 8 coaches.

jfollows

Established Member
Other than during disruption, do the 390s run any services that don't involve london?
1H60 06:11 Crewe to Manchester Piccadilly http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y81684/2019/07/08/advanced
formed from 5K60 05†18 Edge Hill to Crewe
1H50 07:10 Crewe to Manchester Piccadilly http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P58473/2019/07/08/advanced
formed from 5K05 06†03 Longsight to Crewe

Essentially to form an hourly service Crewe-Manchester all day, and these are clearly "commuter" services; 1H50 was a recent introduction (from December 2018 I think) to plug what had been a gap, and a service I've used (Wilmslow to Manchester) on occasions. 1H60 has always been too early for me, fortunately.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I am not sure how 'commuter' you could consider them but I have seen 2x 350/4s doing the Manchester-Scotland run in peak for a total of 8 coaches.

Not at the moment unfortunately as TP Express are a unit down since one hit cattle on the line in the New Year and is going to take a while to be repaired. Even with a full fleet you can only run a handful in multiple. TPE should have ordered 12 or 13 of the things not just 10. But 397s are on their way soon; maybe they'll run as 10-car to get things back on topic?

route:oxford

Established Member
Would it be common to find a decent amount of commuters on the route from start to finish? It has been hard to define some cross country routes but I believe a simple way to answer that is from personal experience will you see a healthy load of commuters boarding the train from the first few stops and staying on right until the end on a daily basis. Not just joining a service that commenced an hour or so before they joined the train.

By setting too many rules, you start to exclude definite commuter trains.

For example, a service into Edinburgh Waverley in the morning will drop off a good proportion of passengers at Edinburgh Park, then Haymarket before finally reaching Waverley.

InOban

Established Member
The first two northbound start at Birmingham and the last two southbound terminate there

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They're DEMUs so they don't really count.....
Diesel electric, diesel mechanical and diesel hydraulic trains are all powered by diesel at the end of the day so I don't see how it matters for the purposes of this discussion. A diesel electric train is still a diesel train!

Status
Not open for further replies.