• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Commuting from New Barnet to Kings Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

alim0706

Hi

I'm new to the forum, hope you can help me. Husband and I are considering buying a new place in Barnet. The closest train station would be New Barnet.
Does anyone know what the commute from New Barnet to Kings Cross would be like? Seats? Standing room only? Do you have to fight to get on a train?!

Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
Hi

I'm new to the forum, hope you can help me. Husband and I are considering buying a new place in Barnet. The closest train station would be New Barnet.
Does anyone know what the commute from New Barnet to Kings Cross would be like? Seats? Standing room only? Do you have to fight to get on a train?!

Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I did this for a year. Double-check the current times - most of the trains at New Barnet go to Moorgate, however in the peaks some go to KX appro every 30 mins. You may get a seat if lucky. Failing that, take a moorgate train to finsbury park or highbury (for train or tube to kings cross).

In minutes to Kings cross, new barnet is probably no quicker than hitchin/stevenage. Could always give consideration to living further out perhaps (cheaper house, and slightly more expensive train ticket).

causton

Established Member
Indeed. I live a bit further up the line and can say that the service isn't too bad and you're not too close into london to get a good spot (maybe even a seat) on peak services!

Mon-Fri daytime most trains go into Moorgate - simply take the train to Highbury and Islington and change there (cross-platform, less than 20 steps from one train to the other :P ) for Victoria line into Kings Cross St P.
However if the Victoria line is stuffed you can also take the Piccadilly from Finsbury Park to Kings Cross St P, or go all the way to Old Street and get the Northern line northbound to Kings Cross St P, or go all the way to Moorgate and get the Northern/Metropolitan/Circle/Hammersmith and City to Kings Cross St P.

Basically, you have a lot of choice :D

Off peak - 20 min service into Moorgate Mon-Fri, half-hourly into Kings Cross and back evenings and weekends.

Also, you are very close to High Barnet/Totteridge and Whetstone on the Northern line, which gives you a backup route to Kings Cross St P :) if you have a Travelcard on Oyster (which I recommend if you can afford it) you would be able to use any bus in London (so could get the 307 from New Barnet to High Barnet, or any other bus depending on where you live) and the tube from High Barnet, as well as being able to travel on FCC from New Barnet :)

HH

Established Member
Your other backup is Cockfosters Tube, which has a Car Park with spaces. Depending on exactly where you go in New Barnet it may even be closer, and certainly the tube line is superior.

Statto

Established Member
Your other backup is Cockfosters Tube, which has a Car Park with spaces. Depending on exactly where you go in New Barnet it may even be closer, and certainly the tube line is superior.

Cockfosters would be best with a train direct to KC every few minutes, or you could use High Barnet, although if the service is via Charing Cross catch the train to Camden Town for cross platform interchange to KC

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Of course, I'm guessing Kings Cross stands a fairly high chance of not being the final destination

transmanche

Established Member
Cockfosters would be best with a train direct to KC every few minutes, or you could use High Barnet, although if the service is via Charing Cross catch the train to Camden Town for cross platform interchange to KC
At Camden Town, the southbound platforms are arranged as Edgware/High Barnet branch pairs, not as City/West End pairs. So the next City train may actually be from the same platform.

And the two southbound platforms don't offer a "cross platform" interchange anyway - going from one to the other involves going up and down stairs.

MCR247

Established Member
At Camden Town, the southbound platforms are arranged as Edgware/High Barnet branch pairs, not as City/West End pairs. So the next City train may actually be from the same platform.

If they were going to wait for the next City train on the platform wouldn't they just get on it at High Barnet anyway

transmanche

Established Member
So the next City train may actually be from the same platform.

If they were going to wait for the next City train on the platform wouldn't they just get on it at High Barnet anyway
Well that was kind of my point. (Although strictly speaking, you wouldn't know which would be the next train until you got to Camden Town.)

Unless you're positioned in the right place in the train and get a clear run up and down the stairs; then in the rush hour it's generally not worth changing at Camden Town southbound.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not if it came from Mill Hill
Although the rush hour through service to/from Mill Hill East goes via the West End - with no through service off-peak anymore.

alim0706

Wow thanks so much for all the info.

Work is in the St Pauls area so probably it would be even better if the train mostly goes to Moorgate rather than Kings Cross as that's about a 15 mins walk or a short bus ride. Or the piccadilly line to Holborn could work too (I like the idea of getting a seat at Cockfosters).

Thanks for all the help! :D

calc7

Established Member
Although the rush hour through service to/from Mill Hill East goes via the West End - with no through service off-peak anymore.

Don't you mean via City, along with all the High Barnet trains?

Statto

Established Member
Wow thanks so much for all the info.

Work is in the St Pauls area so probably it would be even better if the train mostly goes to Moorgate rather than Kings Cross as that's about a 15 mins walk or a short bus ride. Or the piccadilly line to Holborn could work too (I like the idea of getting a seat at Cockfosters).

Thanks for all the help! :D

If you work place is near St Paul's Tube, then your best bet could be Picc from Cockfosters to Holborn & change for Eastbound Central line to St Paul's.

rdwarr

Move to somewhere on Thameslink then you could get a direct train to City Thameslink. You can use Oyster up as far as Elstree/Borehamwood now and this would be much faster than any journey in from Barnet.

34D

Established Member
Move to somewhere on Thameslink then you could get a direct train to City Thameslink. You can use Oyster up as far as Elstree/Borehamwood now and this would be much faster than any journey in from Barnet.

Short walk from Moorgate would be my personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.